Another dang FX1 pump thread......

Both methods work great. Only advantage to the machining of the Kawi housing to fit into the Yamaha housing is that it allows for the seals to ride on the polished portion of the driveshaft better. I've run both processes and have had no issues for years.

Joker

...chaos? Its Fair!
Damn I actually hornedogs idea better. I think next winter I will swap to that. It just looks more reliable. If I need to I will put the shaft on the lathe and polish it if it doesn't ride on the already polished portion

hornedogg79

dodgin' bass boats
I wouldn't call it my idea. I copied that dude up there ^^^

cool- looked it up, bearing is like $25, how many do i need?
Which company seals did you use?

2 bearings 2 seals, I called with the dimensions of each and they had what I needed. Can't remember what seals.

VXSXH20

Sionis Industries
It's not critical to run 2 bearings. But 2 seals absolutely, I had the part# for the seals somewhere, I think SteveUK did a write up on this years ago. It's nice to see joker making some progress and danky coming along too, fx for life !

For the seals, I saw hornedog posted to use 20x52x7mm seals, this might be a stupid question... but should the demensions be the same as the bearings?

Joker

...chaos? Its Fair!
For the seals, I saw hornedog posted to use 20x52x7mm seals, this might be a stupid question... but should the demensions be the same as the bearings?

The 7 and the 15 I believe are the thicknesses. The 20 is the diameter of the inner hole and the 52 is the overall diameter of the seals and bearings. Seals are thinner than bearings so it seems right

If anyone is now doing this mod, I have 5 new bearings and a set of seals for sale.
Pm for pics and details

nt from my VS840 4G using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

C J

Hey guys
Finally began this pump mod, and have used the the day grinding away to get the 650 pump to fit. I've been focusing on positioning the pump so that my intake grade fits the mounting hole and that it's flush with the ski(when glass fiber has been added). To get the intake grate to fit I have to move the pump forward so that it isn't flush with the pump hole(see picture), it's about ⅛ inch further forward than the pump hole. Am I missing something or is this okay?
I also wondered about another thing, did you guys remove all the foam where you needed the needed the new mounting holes and filled it with resin to ensure a the two layers can't be compressed when the pump is tightened?
pump position.jpg pump.jpg height.jpg grinding.jpg grind.jpg

Last edited:
There is quite a bit of variance in scoop grate hole locations, especially the Jet Dynamic scoop you have. That's why your pump is a little forward. It wont hurt anything.

You should fill the areas where the new pump bolts will go through the hull for two reasons......compression (as you've stated), and to prevent water from getting into foam through bolt holes.

Looking good though, enjoy!

maxboost

Super tuned
I got a little bit of foam showing in the pump shoe area, not much, can I just resin over it or should I grind a little deeper?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 82
Hi Gentlemen so i'm completing this mod on my fx1 and would like to know what is the best way to fix my mess up! i took too much out were the stock shoe fits to allow the kawi pump to fit down in proper and i hit foam so i cut a little deeper so i could remove the foam and have something to glue to. what are some thoughts on how to mold that area and form it so the pump inlet is smooth and has a nice transition. i'm trying resin and glass but its hard to work with and i was thinking about using some thing plyable so i could float it out and the place some tape on the pump shoe then set the pump in and have it mold what i need? exactly like the above picture except i did grind it all out

maxboost

Super tuned
Hi Gentlemen so i'm completing this mod on my fx1 and would like to know what is the best way to fix my mess up! i took too much out were the stock shoe fits to allow the kawi pump to fit down in proper and i hit foam so i cut a little deeper so i could remove the foam and have something to glue to. what are some thoughts on how to mold that area and form it so the pump inlet is smooth and has a nice transition. i'm trying resin and glass but its hard to work with and i was thinking about using some thing plyable so i could float it out and the place some tape on the pump shoe then set the pump in and have it mold what i need? exactly like the above picture except i did grind it all out
I did that too, get your bolt mounting surfaces all done first where you want them, them put some may and resin in the shoe area, put a piece of wax paper over that and then mount the pump, after the resin dries you can remove the pump and have a perfect mold. I like to remove the pump before the resin is completely hard so I can trim the excess off. Hope this helps

I did that too, get your bolt mounting surfaces all done first where you want them, them put some may and resin in the shoe area, put a piece of wax paper over that and then mount the pump, after the resin dries you can remove the pump and have a perfect mold. I like to remove the pump before the resin is completely hard so I can trim the excess off. Hope this helps

Cool I always figure you needed to have glass in the resin but I'm learning that that only makes it stronger! I'll give to a try thank you! What did you mean by May?

maxboost

Super tuned
Cool I always figure you needed to have glass in the resin but I'm learning that that only makes it stronger! I'll give to a try thank you! What did you mean by May?
I meant mat or chopped glass* :) always try to use mat, too much resin will pry crack eventually. just cut it small or in small pieces and keep building it up, then wax paper over it, then install and tighten the pump, it takes time but totally worth it. Just got my done and have done a little bit of adjusting on it and I'm loving it. Running a 9/17 skat swirl for a 800sxr, r&d pump cone, X2 nozzle and its a huge improvement from stock pump. I'm trying to get all the bottomend out of it for freestyle that I can. I set my pump back like 4 mm but id like to go more I think

I have a thought about the drive shaft set up. Why not leave the yamaha housing in place along with the midshaft, remove the drive shaft from the fx1 pump. Cut it back and have it splined to match the 650 impeller. So you would have a drive shaft that is yamaha splined on one end to fit the midshaft, and kawi splined on the opposing end for the kawi impeller.
Feedback with thoughts?
I'm going to be doing this swap over the winter.
and maybe just so you dont have to ruin a perfectly good fx1 drive shaft i'd use a cheap one off ebay out of a couch.

I have a thought about the drive shaft set up. Why not leave the yamaha housing in place along with the midshaft, remove the drive shaft from the fx1 pump. Cut it back and have it splined to match the 650 impeller. So you would have a drive shaft that is yamaha splined on one end to fit the midshaft, and kawi splined on the opposing end for the kawi impeller.
Feedback with thoughts?
I'm going to be doing this swap over the winter.
and maybe just so you dont have to ruin a perfectly good fx1 drive shaft i'd use a cheap one off ebay out of a couch.
Won't work the fx1 shaft is smaller in dia. So even if you could respline it would be too small.. Plus why go through all the work when fitting the new size bearing in the shaft housing works great with the sxi shaft. The Yamaha coupler threads right on the sxi shaft and it's the perfect length... I just finish this swap two weeks ago.

Top Bottom