Other Anyone else considering changing jobs in this current economic climate?

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Our head office just moved from Nebraska to Buffalo because we couldn't get anybody to move there.

I am anxiously awaiting news of a transfer to the Gulfstream facility in Savannah for training and hopefully a multi year assignment. Figured it might take upwards of two years before it happened but it's looking like I'm going to beat the 6 month mark.

Last edited:
it's Savannah pretty cool? I applied for a job there recently but haven't followed up on it because I'm not sold on living in the southeast due to excessive population.

I'm looking at northern Arizona and outskirts of Portland Oregon area. Oregon surf sounds fun. Portland is big, but at least I can escape the chaos into the mountains quickly.

OCD Solutions

It will depend on what you want to do and where you want to live. I have always lived out in the country or in small towns so it was a huge adjustment for me but it has been worth it. We live right on the outlying edge of North Charleston so we currently have the convenience of all the choices plus a quick and easy escape. We plan to situate similarly in Savannah.

What field of work are you in?

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
it's Savannah pretty cool? I applied for a job there recently but haven't followed up on it because I'm not sold on living in the southeast due to excessive population.

I'm looking at northern Arizona and outskirts of Portland Oregon area. Oregon surf sounds fun. Portland is big, but at least I can escape the chaos into the mountains quickly.

The Portland metro area is really not very big. Escaping into the mountains quickly - well, that depends. It takes an hour minimum to get to Mt. Hood. You also have Mt. Helens, Mt. Adams, Mt. Rainier in Washington, but those are further than two hours.
Oregon surf can be good, but again you are at least 1.5-2 hours away from it in Portland.

I'm an engineer for Hornady. I design the machines we use to produce the ammunition we sell to consumers.

I have an associate's degree in manufacturing engineering, and a bachelor's in project management. But I enjoy engineering and design using solid modeling software the most.

Last edited:

Matt_E

Site Supporter
How's that pay? I recall reading a few articles a couple of years ago lamenting how very poorly firearms companies are paying their engineers.
Around here, a freshly graduated ME can expect to pull in 50-60k to start. Upwards from there.

How's that pay? I recall reading a few articles a couple of years ago lamenting how very poorly firearms companies are paying their engineers.
Around here, a freshly graduated ME can expect to pull in 50-60k to start. Upwards from there.

It took me five years to get to the top of that, but I started fresh out of school with only an associate's degree. Finished my bachelor's in PM while working. Cost of living it's pretty low here I think, but there's nothing to do here either.

stagesrt4

see ya out there
Site Supporter
im considering moving from chicago area to St louis...

would be an upgrade as far as the job goes. But my family/friends are all in chicago area n i also own a house(that would sell for less then i owe)

OCD Solutions

Got my orders today. Headed down to Savannah to start on the 30th. Now I need to scramble and find corporate housing for the next six months.

I'm not looking forward to being away from my wife for the next 6 months but honestly, with the shifts I've been working, we don't get much quality time during the week anyways.

Still not sure how to handle OCD business either. Will have to work out something to keep orders going out at least once a week.

Got my orders today. Headed down to Savannah to start on the 30th. Now I need to scramble and find corporate housing for the next six months.

I'm not looking forward to being away from my wife for the next 6 months but honestly, with the shifts I've been working, we don't get much quality time during the week anyways.

Still not sure how to handle OCD business either. Will have to work out something to keep orders going out at least once a week.

Congrats man! I can't wait until I find an opportunity to relocate. I applied for a job near Savannah, but it didn't work out. Keep me updated on how you like it. Best of luck!

I'm really considering the Portland area. I know the rainy season sucks, but I think it would still be awesome. Any advice from anyone that lives there or has been there a lot? Did you like the area? Pros, cons? Riding groups? Other locations to consider?

Thanks

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Portland is a great place to live. I am a couple hours east of P-Town but would move there if the right job came up. It's a decent sized metropolitan area without being too much "big-city"-like.
Western Oregon and Washington are spectacular places with lots of different opportunities for outdoors hobbies.
There are a few locals riding in Portland, mostly on the Columbia and Willamette rivers. Surf is about 90 minutes away. You can ride year-round with the right gear.
Rainy season is all year, interspersed with sunshine here and there.
Oregon has no sales tax, but does have income tax.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
A bit more on what's available:

• Some of the best mountain biking in the country is within 2 hours of Portland
  • Snowboarding/Skiing at multiple great locations 1-3 hours away
  • Roadbiking
  • Kayaking/white water rafting/boating/whatever
  • Climbing (Cascades and Cascade volcanoes)
  • Great freshwater fishing for salmon, sturgeon, bass, etc
  • Awesome saltwater fishing for salmon, tuna, halibut, and all the rest
  • Hunting, though elk is by lotto style tags (go to Washington to avoid this

Thanks Matt. I'm sold. Nebraska is boring me to death. One of these days I'm going to wake up old and wonder what I did with my life.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Hah, I drove through Nebraska once on I80. The only thing I remember is driving by the Cabela's headquarters. In the dark. :(

Hah, I drove through Nebraska once on I80. The only thing I remember is driving by the Cabela's headquarters. In the dark. :(

I wish I could inform you of all of the things you missed. Unfortunately I can't seem to come up with anything at the moment...

OCD Solutions

Just finished up my first day at Gulfstream in Savannah, GA.

I love it when a plan comes together. This facility beats Boeing hands down in the cool factor. The new G650 is a sexy, sexy beast. Plus, you could eat off the floors around here.

Too bad I can't take, much less post any pictures.

Top Bottom