Super Jet Basic SN build !Completed! *Tuning time*

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
At least you had a buddy to help you out. Well I have my tray level but I went a little too low and ran into the pipe.. so have to add a little more foam sand a bit more then hopefully lay damn motha fu%#@#% glass!

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Getting it laid out:
WqspCt8.png

And the first layer of glass! Been procrastinating the tray for far too long.
XwFB5Ae.jpg

Nice work man. I have a couple quick comments.

1. Make sure you are overlapping the sheets of glass to avoid water intrusion.
2. I tried to use as few cuts as possible to avoid water leaks.
3. Consider installing your foot holds and building the sides at the same time. it will reduce the cuts you have to make and speed up the process.
4. Make sure you have ground down all the paint and gelcoat on the hull where the new glass is going to be laminated to. If you don't do this the new epoxy will not bond with the old hull. I mean clean man all of it. I found one little crack already from where I missed a little of the paint from the old paint job :(. It didnt crack until after I had it painted...so its there permanently. Gonna get a sticker to put over it.
5. Mine is done and rode it yesterday...you are gonna love it!

I'll update my thread on Pwc...was a crazy weekend but got to ride her yesterday.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Nice work man. I have a couple quick comments.

1. Make sure you are overlapping the sheets of glass to avoid water intrusion.
2. I tried to use as few cuts as possible to avoid water leaks.
3. Consider installing your foot holds and building the sides at the same time. it will reduce the cuts you have to make and speed up the process.
4. Make sure you have ground down all the paint and gelcoat on the hull where the new glass is going to be laminated to. If you don't do this the new epoxy will not bond with the old hull. I mean clean man all of it. I found one little crack already from where I missed a little of the paint from the old paint job :(. It didnt crack until after I had it painted...so its there permanently. Gonna get a sticker to put over it.
5. Mine is done and rode it yesterday...you are gonna love it!

I'll update my thread on Pwc...was a crazy weekend but got to ride her yesterday.

Get your engine squared away and post up some pics and video already!

I put this first layer of 12oz so I would have something to screw the foot holds into. Next is to get the holds lined up and screw them in. Then going to two part foam around them on the sides.

As far as the paint goes, the brown that you see on my ski is the original fiberglass. Sanded all the down past the factory primer and rouged up with 60grit sand paper. :D

Once I get the tray done I am going to spray it with soapy water and hook up my air compressor to one of the drain plugs and make sure she is air tight. I will then fill it full of helium or hydrogen for extra weight savings. :cool:

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Shaping the foam:
r0fvysn.jpg

Finished shaping the foam! Just need to glass her now. I am finally starting to see the end!

Used my leftover foam for the sides so all the colors make it look a little uneven in the picture.
kM5JPD7.jpg

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
How much work and how hard was it shaping the tray foam?

I probably spent more time getting the tray level and lining up the footholds then anything else. Sanding the white foam from HD and the two part foam from us composites was pretty quick and painless. If you have some gaps you need filled or take a little too much off you can spray in some great stuff and fix it.

Quinc, are you using a roller? My game completely changed when I started rolling. comes out way better with much less resin. I got mine here: http://www.uscomposites.com/fgrollers.html. previously I was using too much resin and the glass would 'float' up and suck air in. I'd brush it all out and it would be good for 5 min then…air pockets again. roller works way better. I'm no pro but just an idea.

Quinc, something else I've been meaning to mention (while you still have glass materials out), check the front lip where the hood fits in the hull. Right behind the handle pole. I've been fighting the hood seal battle on my SN for a year now. Tried 3 different designs of hood seals and it still leaks like a sieve. Last week, had the tank and battery out for stator work (yup water intrusion issues). Put a light and my go pro in there strapped the hood down and used the wifi to my iPad while I sprayed it with the hose at different places and found exactly were the hood is leaking. It is in the center of the front (right between the hood hooks). I laid a straight edge across the hull lip and sure enough it sags 3/8s of an inch! Hood seals couldn't make up for that. Checked 3 other SN hulls (friends) and theirs are not as bad but the same. I'm going to get the hull as level as I can and glass that channel to a level status. Hopefully the epoxy will self level and help. While your are glassing anyway would be the time to do it. Don't mean to preach, just a problem I have that I think is common.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Quinc, are you using a roller? My game completely changed when I started rolling. comes out way better with much less resin. I got mine here: http://www.uscomposites.com/fgrollers.html. previously I was using too much resin and the glass would 'float' up and suck air in. I'd brush it all out and it would be good for 5 min then…air pockets again. roller works way better. I'm no pro but just an idea.
Yeah I am using one. I am trying to make a fairly tight bend. I kept going out there and rolling it down every 15 minutes and it finally stayed down once it was a little more dry. Keep the tips the coming though!

Quinc, something else I've been meaning to mention (while you still have glass materials out), check the front lip where the hood fits in the hull. Right behind the handle pole. I've been fighting the hood seal battle on my SN for a year now. Tried 3 different designs of hood seals and it still leaks like a sieve. Last week, had the tank and battery out for stator work (yup water intrusion issues). Put a light and my go pro in there strapped the hood down and used the wifi to my iPad while I sprayed it with the hose at different places and found exactly were the hood is leaking. It is in the center of the front (right between the hood hooks). I laid a straight edge across the hull lip and sure enough it sags 3/8s of an inch! Hood seals couldn't make up for that. Checked 3 other SN hulls (friends) and theirs are not as bad but the same. I'm going to get the hull as level as I can and glass that channel to a level status. Hopefully the epoxy will self level and help. While your are glassing anyway would be the time to do it. Don't mean to preach, just a problem I have that I think is common.

You are correct! mine is pretty bad too. I wonder if that is from the weight of the hood or just a weak spot? I leveled up the part that the hood seals lays in. I will bring up the lip too. I am not going to run the stock bilge so hopefully she will be sealed tighter then a Nun!

Quinc, I think leveling the bottom of the channel (where the hood seal lays) is enough. Thats what I was trying to describe. I didn't mean the actual lip although that is where I measured.. I think the way the hood hooks work, pressure will be against the bottom and front of the channel and the back lip won't be a factor. I can's think of what this is from other then the metton just sagging over time. When it gets hot, it is a little moldable, and it is pretty thin there.... My hood sits on the corners and doesn't even make contact in the middle (where it is sagging) so I dont really have a good idea why they all sag.

Im not running front hood hooks right now, just have a double hood strap with a SS ratchet. My hood sits in the groove of the hood seal much better but I'm not completely comfortable with no hooks. Haven't figured out/decided yet how to solve that part.

OMFG! I hate fiberglass!!! Doing the glass on the sides and keep getting airpockets!!!! =(
First of all..it is looking very clean. Also, are you putting down a later of resin on the area you are planning on laminating glass to? I used a brush a painted on the resin first than layed the cloth....than rolled it out to get ride of bubbles. Than repeat. I ended up with some pretty big air bubbles that I had to grind out and fill with thickened Resin. The tray was the worst part for that. Looking good though and you are getting closer but still a lot more work to be done.

Take a breathe...I was ready to fly at the point you are at...but there is still more work to be done. Make sure you do it right the first time.

Oh..and I noticed one error...you had a Corona while you were glassing. That is really poor quality beer and it will reflect in your work. I recommend Sierra Nevada considering your proximity to the brewery. The darker beers will calm your nerves and steady your hands for the glass work.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
First of all..it is looking very clean. Also, are you putting down a later of resin on the area you are planning on laminating glass to? I used a brush a painted on the resin first than layed the cloth....than rolled it out to get ride of bubbles. Than repeat. I ended up with some pretty big air bubbles that I had to grind out and fill with thickened Resin. The tray was the worst part for that. Looking good though and you are getting closer but still a lot more work to be done.

Take a breathe...I was ready to fly at the point you are at...but there is still more work to be done. Make sure you do it right the first time.

Oh..and I noticed one error...you had a Corona while you were glassing. That is really poor quality beer and it will reflect in your work. I recommend Sierra Nevada considering your proximity to the brewery. The darker beers will calm your nerves and steady your hands for the glass work.

I will try that hopefully tonight when I do the other side. I have been brushing the resin on the back of the glass first then stick the glass on and do the front. I am also using the 12oz for the first layer thinking it would bend/move easier. I finished the Corona and am now giving miller light a try. I used to drink Sierra Nevada and other good beer but now I am tired of it. Figure I will drink piss beer for a while until I get my taste for the good stuff back.

Ok..here is a quick glassing lesson. I think you are missing a few steps that are making things harder.

Step #1: Paint the mixed resin onto the hull or place you are laminating to. This will give it a little bit of time to get tacky while you prepare the cloth.
Step #2: Place your precut / mesaured cloth on to a piece of cardboard or something you don't care about. Pour resin onto one side of the cloth and spread it out with your roller. Make sure every bit of cloth gets wet.
Step #3: Flip cloth over and repeat step 2 with less resin...you just want the entire piece to clearish...so that it is wet on both sides.
Step #4: Use your roller to squeegie out the excess resin on to the cardboard. Work from the middle out to the edges.
Step #5: Remove now completely wet cloth and place where you want it to go.
Step #6: Use our roller to roll the cloth into place. I also use my hands to get it in place.
Step #7: Any edges that will not adhere need either more resin to weigh the cloth down or you might need to wait a little bit for the resin you painted on in step #1 to get a little more tacky. I use my hands here to push the cloth into place and a paint brush in a stabbing motion and use the left over resin on the cardboard to adhere the edges.
Step #8: Take a minute or two to start preparing your next layer of cloth. Drink a little bit of beer, check out your good work, check facebook, and other tasks that only take a few minutes. You want to give your cloth a few minutes to start setting up. Once it sets up you'll see the air pockets form. I use a little more resin on the brush again in a stabbing motion to force the resin in to the cloth and push out any air.
Step #9: Move on to another section but come back to check after the glass has gotten harder but is not completely set up. This was key for me. I saved myself a lot of grinding filling time by going back over what I had already done with the brush and stabbing motion.

I learned this from another member and I am sure there are a million other ways of doing it but it was pretty successful for me.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Ok..here is a quick glassing lesson. I think you are missing a few steps that are making things harder.

Step #1: Paint the mixed resin onto the hull or place you are laminating to. This will give it a little bit of time to get tacky while you prepare the cloth.
Step #2: Place your precut / mesaured cloth on to a piece of cardboard or something you don't care about. Pour resin onto one side of the cloth and spread it out with your roller. Make sure every bit of cloth gets wet.
Step #3: Flip cloth over and repeat step 2 with less resin...you just want the entire piece to clearish...so that it is wet on both sides.
Step #4: Use your roller to squeegie out the excess resin on to the cardboard. Work from the middle out to the edges.
Step #5: Remove now completely wet cloth and place where you want it to go.
Step #6: Use our roller to roll the cloth into place. I also use my hands to get it in place.
Step #7: Any edges that will not adhere need either more resin to weigh the cloth down or you might need to wait a little bit for the resin you painted on in step #1 to get a little more tacky. I use my hands here to push the cloth into place and a paint brush in a stabbing motion and use the left over resin on the cardboard to adhere the edges.
Step #8: Take a minute or two to start preparing your next layer of cloth. Drink a little bit of beer, check out your good work, check facebook, and other tasks that only take a few minutes. You want to give your cloth a few minutes to start setting up. Once it sets up you'll see the air pockets form. I use a little more resin on the brush again in a stabbing motion to force the resin in to the cloth and push out any air.
Step #9: Move on to another section but come back to check after the glass has gotten harder but is not completely set up. This was key for me. I saved myself a lot of grinding filling time by going back over what I had already done with the brush and stabbing motion.

I learned this from another member and I am sure there are a million other ways of doing it but it was pretty successful for me.

Some damn good info here! Thanks for sharing it when I am almost done! =P Going to print this out and tape it to the side of my of ski.

Top Bottom