Other Bilge switch keeps taking a poop

I have a rule 500 GPH in my 750 SXI. I had the ski down to the hull to do repairs and paint. Since I have put it back together I have burned up two toggle switches for the bilge pump. I had a switch wired up the exact same way last year but I replaced in because it was rusty(still worked though). Both switches I wrecked were heavy duty waterproof and different manufactures. I have it wired directly to the battery with all connections soldered and heat shrinked. Any ideas?

Will

1.jpg

I think I did well on the picture. The only explaining I will do is that i have to two brown(brown and brown/white stripe) wires from the bilge pump wired together to the switch. The directions told me to wire them together id not useing the automatic draw method.

Will

Its all about the surf!
Use this wiring diagram. I always solder and heat shrink my connections also. Don’t skimp on the switch, the switch is usually the most expensive part of a good bilge system. I use the one pictured below. I’ve never had to replace it and it’s about 5 yrs old now. It’s outlasted several pumps. You can get one from Blowsion for like $75.

Bilge pump Wiring diagram
Bilgepumpwiringdiagram.jpg

Totally submersible bilge switch
BILGESWITCH1.jpg

Hot Products has a "Rotary Switch" that is a 3 way switch. They are waterproof and very reliable. They typically run around $30, but are well worth the price. They also sell a metal protector for the switch, but it costs more than the switch so I just bought a back up bilge switch instead. However I can't seem to keep them...all my friends see them and end up buying my spares EVERY time I have one.

227 that is how I have mine wired up. I am going to buy one of these OCD military switches and try that. Could a :):):):)ty switch die with in one day?

Will

227 that is how I have mine wired up. I am going to buy one of these OCD military switches and try that. Could a :):):):)ty switch die with in one day?

Will

Im tellin ya..for about the same price you can have one of those rotary switches. In my opinion they look cleaner and being a three way switch allow you to do more with them.

A cheap switch can easily go bad in one day. Most switches aren't made to be soaked.

My only concern with the rotary switch is I mounted my toggle directly un the hood latch and im not sure if the rotary will fit.

Will

Use this wiring diagram. I always solder and heat shrink my connections also. Don’t skimp on the switch, the switch is usually the most expensive part of a good bilge system. I use the one pictured below. I’ve never had to replace it and it’s about 5 yrs old now. It’s outlasted several pumps. You can get one from Blowsion for like $75.

Bilge pump Wiring diagram
Bilgepumpwiringdiagram.jpg

Totally submersible bilge switch
BILGESWITCH1.jpg
these are junk too

Its all about the surf!
you want the switch wired to the ground side not the +12V.

Why? I have no electrical training but from what I've read elec parts need to be grounded at all times. If you cut the ground through the switch then your voiding this rule. Explain please.

Its all about the surf!
these are junk too

I've tried every other cheap switch available. Radio shack, West marine, Toggle, tank, camera housing, etc. These are the only ones that have lasted for me. Also they are handle bar mounted and actived with your thumb for convienence, unlike a switch that you have to dash mount where yo have to lean over and twist to turn on. Explain please.

MattyBoom

Amsoil Rep/Machine Shop
I never had luck with my handle bar mounted bilge switch, i would do the rotary switch or something tucked away in the engine bay, turn it on when u go out then turn it off when you get back in, my 1100 never drained my battery and i had a small light weight batt

Its all about the surf!
There’s no right or wrong on which switch to use or which way to mount it, it’s all personal preference. I’m just sharing what’s worked well (And lasted the test of time) for me. I actually don’t use the mounting bracket provided (because I hit my knee on it) Instead, I rotated my OEM start/stop switch housing 90 degrees and glued the bare switch directly to the OEM housing. I used some masking tape to make a mold and poured in JB weld to build up a flat surface on my OEM start/stop switch housing so I would have a flat surface to glue the switch onto. This set up has lasted through hundreds of Back-flops and ¾ barrel rolls. My switch does comes un-glued about every six months or so but it still works after 5 yrs and I simply re-glue it back on.
BILGESWITCH3.jpg

BILGESWITCH2.jpg

Top Bottom