Brocks Gulf Tribute Build! **Test Ride\Problems**

Well unless I mount my battery in another place I can't run a bigger battery. With as small of a battery as I have it will be annoying swapping batteries if I get more than one. My battery box I made isn't fun to change batteries in. Plus I'd have to figure out how to mount the tl using the stock brackets without hitting anything else

Waternut

Customizing addict
Mounting the TL using stock locations is a cake walk. I just mounted the TL plate right using two bolts without any fancy brackets or spacers. You mentioned you were planning to pull the 300sx tank and use a kart tank which would free up a buttload of space up front for a larger battery. I'm just throwing it out there as food for thought since a good engine that will perform better than a basic ported engine with total loss is going to be very pricey (easily more than $2k) even used.

I dont really have an idea on how much money I have to work with yet, but its not going to be like 10k. My thoughts are, maybe get something of the bigger big bore nature, and stock electronics\ with enhancer and stock pump, or get something lower powered say like a 771 or 828 or something that I can find cheap with TL and a mag pump. Just throwing ideas out there, no money involved yet.

DAG

Yes, my balls tickled from that landing
being thats your no longer right on the water, you dont want to be like me and drive an hours and have your ski break. The more you mod the more you wrench. A Ported BB 61x with an enhancer is a ton of power, especially in that tiny hull. keep it simple.

Waternut

Customizing addict
being thats your no longer right on the water, you dont want to be like me and drive an hours and have your ski break. The more you mod the more you wrench. A Ported BB 61x with an enhancer is a ton of power, especially in that tiny hull. keep it simple.

I agree to keep it simple but I rarely read of the total loss guys breaking down because of something ignition related. on the contrary, a week doesn't go by that I don't see a lengthy post about another MSD enhancer going out, a lightweight charging flywheel getting ruined, or another stator that isn't working. I can fully understand those people who really want a charging system. However, those people that go with an MSD enhancer and aftermarket lightweight flywheel because they are easier and more reliable are dreaming IMO.

The debate between charging and total loss will continue to go on for many years so the choice is up to you. I just want to make the facts clear because there is a very big misconception that an enhancer is the end all and extremely reliable and this is not the truth.

ive read a ton of stuff about the enhancer also. I dont really know, Ill just have to see where I get this summer. I might just go with a simple 771 big bore\mag pump\tl. Im just wondering if Ill ever be more power hungry. i like big power. When i rode dirt bikes I was riding a fully built 250 2 stroke (ported, carb mod\head mod, and everything you could think of) and i wish I had more power. Im the same way with cars too. I have a bmw with a 3.2l (m powered) and I wish it was a v8. I just dont want to get a 771 and not be happy. So thats why im thinking of getting a BIG big bore

Waternut

Customizing addict
I might just go with a simple 771 big bore\mag pump\tl. Im just wondering if Ill ever be more power hungry.

Sounds like you've got more money than most of us if that's your idea of "simple"...

I just dont want to get a 771 and not be happy. So thats why im thinking of getting a BIG big bore

There will always be someone out there to "1-up" you. Unless you've got the money to go for the XS1000, you'll always want more power in flatwater. The line is drawn between want and need though. Am I happy with my 61x/61x motor? Yes. Do I want something bigger? Of course, but I'm not dropping $3k+ any time soon because my ski is fun regardless.

Well after looking at a couple threads that have popped up over the past month with a similar problem, I think its my coil\plug wires\boots. But Im still done for the season anyways, and I will still be getting a new motor\electrics.
Im going to be selling my complete 61x electronics in all for $400 shipped, its far from perfect. More details will be coming soon, have to get the engine out first.

nope, didnt have enough time before the move. Now that Im in raleigh Im going to have to make a trip to jordan lake (like a 30 minute drive) for a short 5 minute ride to see if that works or not.

Last edited:

DAG

Yes, my balls tickled from that landing
Put it on the hose and let it run for 2-3 minutes with the hood on. Then shut the motor/water off and take the hood off. I guarantee you have an exhaust leak with that hose your running which is causing the "electrical" problem.

Only problem its hard to run on the hose with the hood on. maybe you can tape off the cracks in the hose jarred hood.

No I did not fall off the face of the earth! but I am back. Havnt been on here in forever. I sold my 701, and electronics and everything out of my ski, so my ski is just sitting in the basement. In the mean time, ive been working on these...

somehow got into volkswagens too much. Always loved the body style of the mk2. but now I have two of them, trying to sell the silver one now for money for a ski engine.
0IMG_4765-1.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

hull is solid still, as for the engine. its whatever money allows when time comes. Im in the process of being hired by harris teeter for a job so that will help alot. could be another 701, could be a stroker or something big. I just have to see how much money I have before summer starts.

Well, im getting there... have $500 saved. Thats with about 4 paychecks (every week) I was getting a steady 20+ hours a week, but for some reason now they have me working 1 or 2 days a week, when I have enough time for 5+ days a week. To say the least im frustrated, ive talked to them about it, and hopefully the hours will increase. So im about 1\3rd of the way saved. I think I can get enough before summer. I want about $1500 total, that will get me something decent.

in the meantime... car is coming along nicely.
IMG_1156.jpg

Top Bottom