SXR Cannibal's build - IS FINISHED!!! decks split, rocker nose, -3

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Has there ever been a build thread where things went real easy, cheaper and way faster than expected? :smile:

Very true. I told my wife to not let me get this far into a ski again....but I know I will and so does she.

Git r done already

Still waiting to see that freak on the water.....lol. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I'm just not sure if it's a locomotive or daylight.

So for the updates...my garage seems to get messier with each picture...lol.

I inserted some tee nuts in the bottom of the hull for drain screws and a for the exhaust flange bolts.

1 sxr exhaust and drain inserts.jpg

5200 the fittings in and new 2" Sch 40 pipe exhaust tube.

2 sxr bulkhead.jpg

I then cut and modified as much of the stock foam I could and fit that, then filled in the rest with EPS. After that, I laid up 2 layers of glass on a plastic sheet, let cure, then cut to fit right on top of the foam for a smooth surface I could glass to. You can also see that the tray is recessed 1".

3 sxr tray foam.jpg4 sxr tray.jpg

In the last update, I had only had 1 layer of carbon laid on top of my 2 part form bond rail forms, so after the tray was all setup, I laid the rest of the rail glass/carbon. Since I didn't need to add any strength back into the rear of the hull, I decided to let that carbon extend onto the tray instead of down the sides.

5 sxr tray 2.jpg

Then I flipped the bottom deck over and removed the foam and roughly trimmed the excess on the rails. You can see from this pic the wide 45* rails pretty well.

6 sxr rail2.jpg

And you can see from this pic the build in turning sponsons on the rear.

7 sxr rear fin.jpg

Before glassing the top deck, I filled the hood lip. This is where I was seeing a decent amount of cracking in the gel coat telling me there is a lot of flex going on there.

8 sxr lip fill.jpg

And lastly, I made a new exhaust hose holder out of some extra carbon, stock is 12.7oz, this new one is about 2oz.

9 sxr exhaust bracket.jpg9a sxr exhaust bracket 2.jpg

As of today, I glassed the top deck bond rail flanges and glassed the Blowsion gunwale caps directly to the ski. I'll snap some pics of that for the next update.

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Sheet...I know. 1 layer of glass laid for the front foot hold....still working on the adjustable foot holds.

Crazy how fast time has flown by. Still lots of detail stuff to work out.

Cannibal

Tasty Human
I won't get this updated till we come back, but pretty close. Major mods done. Still a few little details to work out, but now that I don't have a time crunch, I might modify a few things that I don't like.

Stay tuned!

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Thread dumping completely allowed here...lol. I don't know if I'm going to throw out any deadlines. I'm just going to work as hard as possible on this and get it on the water as soon as possible.

Time for some long overdue updates:

I had the ski upside down, filled gunwale with 2 part foam and set the bottom deck down so it all took the shape I needed.
01 sxr gunwale foam pour.jpg

Here's how it turned out
02 sxr gunwale foam2.jpg

I then shaped it with a saw, the shape eventually changed
03 sxr side foam.jpg

Here's the front foot hold "mold". It's EPS foam wrapped in duct tape, that's 1 layer of Knytex just to give me my shape
04 sxr ffh.jpg05 sxr ffh2.jpg06 sxr ffh4.jpg07 sxr ffh5.jpg

Here it is held in place
08 sxr ffh6.jpg

Here's after I added a few layers of carbon
09 sxr ffh done.jpg

Here it is all glassed in to the top deck
10 sxr ffh installed.jpg

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Here's the tray completely glassed in, but I can feel a little flex when I stand on it, but plan on laying a couple more layers of carbon after the decks are assembled, so that will do it
11 sxr tray done.jpg

Hull inserts set using the stock SXR brackets available for $4 each, nice cheap option for any custom hull.
12 sxr hull brackets.jpg

I glued in a 2" piece of 1/4" AL into the sides, these will be my mounting points for the footholds
13 sxr fh insert.jpg15 sxr al adj insert2.jpg

Here it's all glassed in
16 sxr foot well.jpg

I decided to chop the hood lower...why not, it's Project Snowball
17 sxr hood chop.jpg18 sxr hood chop 2.jpg

A wise thrasher once said "cut the nose off that pig"....I will say, that was a bright idea
19 sxr nose flange.jpg20 sxr nose chop 4.jpg

I needed something to mold off of for a foothold. DAS BOOT! did the trick!
09 sxr boothold.jpg

After cutting the nose off, I can see why the ROK hull has a flat nose. It would be so much easier to work with if I didn't think that looked absolutely horrid. I'd buy one of those ROK nose reinforcement panels that are out (Tomski?) and glass it in. The main reason I cut the nose shorter, I just couldn't work up something I liked with the rail on it. I can't imagine what it would look like had I not moved the top deck forward 2.5". I could have stood to move it forward even more, but there would be no room for the FP head pipe.

The nose is pretty pointed on these skis, so it won't have that full wide, bullnose look of some of the customs out there, but it's on it's way!

Last edited:

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Ugh, so much other stuff going on, but making progress.

The nose has been complicated since the top deck sits behind the bottom deck. I actually used the bottom deck as a mold for the top deck after trying to freehand form some pink foam and use a garbage can as a mold. I'll see if I can load these pics from my phone.

I'm pleased with how it looks.

I hurt my shoulder and our weather is pretty sucky right now, so I'm not really missing out on anything yet, but once July rolls around, I NEED to have this thing finished up.

I've mocked up a plywood handle pole bracket and will get it fabbed up out of AL here soon.

Top Bottom