SXR Cannibal's build - IS FINISHED!!! decks split, rocker nose, -3

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Primed this evening! Such a milestone.

I knew there was going to be some minor things to fill, but holy pin holes batman. It's fine though, I'll be able to use the Blaze Glaze I have over the primer which I couldn't do over the epoxy because of compatibility issues (polyester on epoxy).

My plan is to fill the flaws and get it to someone to hit it with another layer of primer, then paint it up.

Decks are still separate, but will go together easily. I think I want to add a little material to the bond rails, so instead of gluing the decks together, I'm going to lay a couple layers of carbon between the flanges and clamp.

I have a question about your bond rails - I am in the same boat right now!

You said earlier that you abandoned the 3" wide overall bond rail for something narrower - would you mind telling me what you ended up with? I'm looking for length of flat before the 45deg part. Thanks!

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Sure, I went with 2" horizontal width, then the 1" 45* portion gives a total width of 3.25". I did however taper the rear, so from the bulkhead back, it tapers down to 1" + the 45*.

The reason for the taper is that I've added built in turning sponsons like a Superfreak and I felt that really wide turning sponsons would, or could, be really grabby on slides. I don't know how true that is, but that was my theory.

I threw some "racing" sponsons on my old ski that are 3.5" tall and to my surprise they did nothing to inhibit intentional slides and helped to reset the turn after you were done sliding - they are only about 1.25" out from the gunwales though.

I got a day or two to figure out my overall width - thanks for your info though!

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Over 10k, woot!

Thanks Swapmeet, I'm glad you like it, I'm sure others hit that back button while shaking their head and saying to themselves "dear god; why?"....hahaha.

I will get primered pics up Thurs at work. Funny thing, I have more time to post and update while at work then I do at home. I took a half day today and basically sanded and filled imperfections for 8 hours. I'm beat! Everything is ready for sealer coat, then paint. I sure was thinking of leaving the decks split for the sealer and paint. But the way the time works out, there is just no way for me to set up and shoot sealer, then paint 2 days after work. Maybe if I was actually an experienced painter.

Instead, I will bond the decks and glass what I have to Thurs and Fri eve, then paint bottom on Sat, then top and hood on Sun. That gives me Mon, Tues, Wed for assembly....still lots of work! No power factor or fuel tank mounts have been glassed in, fuel tank parts on order as well as PFP to Kawi adapter. Parts need to get the eff here.

I'd like to get this on the water on Thurs to tune/breakin engine, then Grayland on Friday the 17th! Hope it all works out as planned.

It might end up just one color with some decals to follow....Casey, I need some WNs when you get time! Then I will bring it out and we can cut some decals for it.

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
20120808_105739.jpgIm in the same boat....engine and drivetrain check
battery box, clamps, straps, check
fuel tank, hoses, waterbox check
ebox...
paint on topdeck, hood, pole....
turf....

If they make us work this weekend it won't happen...

Last edited:

swapmeet

Brotastic
I know you won't want to hear this, but i'm gonna say it anyway. Don't rush your ski for a ride.

I've learned this the hard way (over and over) I practically kill myself to finish a project by a certian date or for a certian event. Half the time I either didn't make it, or I over looked some detail that caused me not to participate once I got there. And if I do make it, i'm such a detail freak i'm all pissed off that this or that isn't right when it was 'good enough' while I was rushing through it.

You've spent SOOOO much time and effort trying to get this beast the way you want it. Don't cut corners on the home stretch. Take your time, do it right, its worth it IMO.

Worst case, epoxy prime it, rattle can some graphics or whatever. Paint it after your ride maybe?

Just my $.02 based on experience.

Last edited:

Cannibal

Tasty Human
I hear ya. I'm not rushing anything, just working very hard on it. I'm retarded OCD about things. No corners will/have been cut.

I do have some epoxy primer, but I'd have to re-turf if I did that. I could ride epoxy primed, then paint next winter. I will evaluate that option.

Primered pics as requested.

sxr paint.jpg

sxr primer.jpg

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
Honestly it doesn't look too good for me I wont cut any corners and it seems like every single part on this boat have to be modified to fit properly.

I have the green boat in my avatar to ride anyway...

Last edited:

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Honestly it doesn't look too good for me I wont cut any corners and it seems like every single part on this boat have to be modified to fit properly.

I have the green boat in my avatar to ride anyway...

At least you have something to ride. Might not be as fun, but Surf Slam is just around the corner!

Hot damn the rocker and top deck look sick!!! Top deck is so short/ thin.... killer work.

Thanks! Top deck is 2.5-2.75" forward, then 1" chopped out of the bond line lowering it down, then the rocker comes up to meet it, so it really makes for a short nose. I'm pleased with the looks and hope the ride is fun.

Hot damn the rocker and top deck look sick!!! Top deck is so short/ thin.... killer work.

X2 ! I hear by administer with all rights there unto pertaining ..... 1 ATTA BOY . Seriously it looks fantastic . Whats the over all length ?

Last edited:

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Thanks Kevin! I can't wait to get some color on it and really see what it looks like.

From back lip to the front tip is about 83.5".

I glued the decks together last night. I was hoping to lay come carbon on one side, but couldn't. That might put me behind, but maybe not. I still have to figure out the paint. If I can paint the bottom and top in the same day, I will be GOLDEN!

sxr decks glued.jpg

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
20120809_105603.jpgWell, I got the weekend off so Im trying to get all the paint done today and tomorrow. 80% of the assembly is done also, but realized yesterday I don't have a start solonoid...

Last edited:

n20si

baller on a budget
Really coming together steve. You need to take a mold off this thing and start popping them out. Cant wait to see the final results.

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Well, I got the weekend off so Im trying to get all the paint done today and tomorrow. 80% of the assembly is done also, but realized yesterday I don't have a start solonoid...

I have one you can borrow if it comes to that.

Really coming together steve. You need to take a mold off this thing and start popping them out. Cant wait to see the final results.

There are a few items that are not perfect, but if it works out, I MIGHT think about a mold, only because this thing is still going to be a tank. I could surely build one lighter than this.

Last night I laid 2 layers of carbon on the inside of the right side of the hull and the side of the foot wells. This basically glasses the two halves together. I had a couple pockets in the rear where the top did not meet the bottom deck. The 45* angles met and were clamped, but the horizontal bond rail had a gap in a couple spots, so I had to drizzle some cab 0 sil epoxy in there prior to glassing the halves together.

This morning I've done the same thing with the left side. I've got the heater and flood light on those spots so they get set, then I need to glass the nose on the inside and let that setup, then I'll be able to figure out the paint thing.

Still need to go talk to Napa where I'm getting it. I know some of their primer/sealer can be painted right over after 5min and within 2 hours with no prep in between (wet on wet). Not sure about the other stuff, but that would save a bunch of time to be able to shoot sealer then color back to back, and that's pretty much the only way I'm going to make my deadline (still going to be a tough one). I've never painted anything with automotive paint before, so this is a real learning experience.

Resin is curing now. Heading back out to get some little stuff done.

Top Bottom