SXR Cannibal's build - IS FINISHED!!! decks split, rocker nose, -3

If you have never sprayed auto paint I recommend shooting some test on a piece of plywood or something and work out your air pressure and mix rate before touching the ski with it. It will save hours of sanding it off later when it's all jacked up.

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Thanks guys!

I'm absolutely beat tonight. I trimmed out my bond rails (they were just rough cut before), looks nice and clean now. Black carbon sanding dust EVERYWHERE, I was covered.

I have a few things to do tomorrow, then onto painting.

Thanks for the advise Rags. I will surely be doing some test shots before hitting the ski.

Overall, the primer went on easy last Sunday. I had the gun set like the instructions said on the paint documents and it seems to work well. I saw where I made mistakes and where it laid well. I need to slow down though. I was rushing and didn't have good overlap in spots. The top deck was easier to shoot than the bottom.

Here's the ski with the rails trimmed:

sxr bond rail trim.jpg

And here's the gas tank I "made". The cap from Ryobi gas equipment fits the filler hole, so I drilled and inserted a 3rd fitting, no clunk on the cap it will be the vent, the other two have clunks on them one to feed the carbs, one to feed the primer and be the return. I don't like my primers being on a feed line. Seen them suck air.

sxr gas tank2.jpg

Cannibal

Tasty Human
No comments about my ghetto fab gas tank....lol.

I built myself a paint booth after having bugs and tree crap land on my wet primer. It's not completely sealed, but kept the bugs out. I used an old HVAC filter on the back side of my fan to catch the overspray. Worked like a champ. I still had some stuff in the paint, but that's to be expected.

sxr paint booth2.jpg

sxr paint blue.jpg

sxr paint3.jpg

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Well, I didn't make my deadline, just too many small items and turf took/is taking way too long. I'll keep plugging along, hoping to have it on the water this next weekend.

I got the pole mounted, tray bottom, nose, and side rails turfed.

Here's some pics of my custom pole bracket.

sxr pole bracket.jpg
sxr pole bracket2.jpg
sxr pole bracket3.jpg

Here's a pic of the 9mm padding I put everywhere but over the pump tunnel, then 18mm over everything.

sxr turf pad.jpg

And finally a pic of the the side rail turf, the turf on the front is still hanging off there. That's smooth Hydroturf, no pattern.

sxr side turf.jpg

I took it to the Grayland Open and stuck it on a scissor stand. It got some good reception. People really like the smooth turf, the flat blue paint, and my hull mods.

I did learn something though from Cameron while discussing his repair of the motor mount insert in Matt_E's SF. We were talking about carbon and its direct contact with aluminum. The contact causes galvanic corrosion (the effect that causes corrosion in dissimilar metals). Because they have different electrical potential, one acts as an anode, and one acts as a cathode. This effect is amplified when you add salt water. I did do direct carbon to aluminum when I did my motor mount inserts and foot hold rail inserts. I'm hoping it'll be time for a new hull by the time this becomes an issue.

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Turf is 95% done!!! It's taken so long, but looks good. More seams than I wanted, but way too many difficult compound curves.

I do need to bring it out and decal it though.

Still lots of little things to go, but getting there!

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Mine now has life too!!!!

This PFP is LOUD! Wow. I'm running the resonator, I need to modify my homemade waterbox for the hull shape.

Water test to come on Saturday. Hope my tuning is close, I don't have much of a selection of jets.

I still need to do a few things tonight, and there are a couple things I need to address before Surf Slam, but I'm finally wrapping this thing up.

I'm happy with it over all, but the ebox is closer to the engine than I'd like, I'll look into a different mounting location.

Pictures to come when I get a chance to take some.

YEA! ..... Pics and ride report Saturday or BAN ... Glade to see you have your life back. What are you going to do with all that spare time ?

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
Steve, got mine out and rode yesterday, always a surprise as I got a cracked exhaust manifold but dayum fun ski!!!

Top Bottom