SXR Cannibal's build - IS FINISHED!!! decks split, rocker nose, -3

Cannibal

Tasty Human
YEA! ..... Pics and ride report Saturday or BAN ... Glade to see you have your life back. What are you going to do with all that spare time ?

Hahaha, will do. The wife is happy as well.

As far as spare time, probably paint the house unfortunately. :ugh2:

Steve, got mine out and rode yesterday, always a surprise as I got a cracked exhaust manifold but dayum fun ski!!!

I saw, did you get one on the way?

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
Hahaha, will do. The wife is happy as well.

As far as spare time, probably paint the house unfortunately. :ugh2:

I saw, did you get one on the way?
I think Brian is going to take one off his B1. Craiger might try and weld this one back up after the SS. I talked to FPP about it, they probably won't warranty it unless if fails the hardness test.

Last edited:

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Water test a complete success! Tuning was spot on! This thing hits hard. The power is awesome!

Hull is very playful, but you can still blast across the water with zero porpoising. The wide rails make it feel light in the water and you can feel the built in turning sponsons grab on corners. I felt like it was going to slide out on me, but it just hooked. Going to take some getting used to.

I went out with Casey (dirtnut99) and his wife's cousin Ray Spaulding, some of you FL boys might know him (I don't think he's on here though???). The reviews from both of them were fantastic as well. Ray has ridden quite a few aftermarket hulls and according to him, it feels comparable, you can tell it has some weight to it, but rides light and nimble. He thinks it should flat water flip with some trim and a good setup. Maybe, we'll see about that someday.

Here's some pics:

sxr finished side.jpgsxr finished side front.jpgsxr finished side rear.jpgsxr front.jpgsxr tray and ffh.jpgsxr foothold turfed.jpgsxr engine bay3.jpg

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346611958.697771.jpg
Here it is sitting in the water just unloaded off the trailer.. Like Steve said, the ski is awesome! It's hard to believe it was an sxr before! It definitely feels much lighter than my stock SXR.. Power is amazing thanks to getting Brapjacked! Well done on the hacking Steve! I'll try to upload a video I took also during motor break in/warm up.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
Great build! Can you give details of everything your motor has done to it. This is one of my favorite builds...makes me want to (gasp!) cut up my Trinity...

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Thanks for the comments!

Nice footholds, love this easy system, do you have some details ?

I epoxied in some 1/4" x 2 aluminum bar into the sides then glassed over the whole thing. This gave a back bone for the rails. The rails are "T Track" and are epoxied to the glass, then bolted on either end. The holds themselves are taken off of an old pair of work boots. I just duct taped over the boot and started glassing, then trimmed them out. I then glassed those to some more 1/4" x 2 AL bar that is slotted either end. Don't copy this quite yet, jury is out on it's' strength. Sportfish did something similar in his build, but instead of rails, glued/glassed in some inserts so you just unbolt the hold and bolt it to a different location. I can do this with mine by drilling/tapping the AL bar glassed in if the rail system doesn't work or hold.

I did some more turf work yesterday on them:

sxr foothold turfed2.jpg

Great build! Can you give details of everything your motor has done to it. This is one of my favorite builds...makes me want to (gasp!) cut up my Trinity...

When I blew the crank on Thanksgiving weekend (that's what started this whole thing off), I wasn't sure what I was going to do. I talked to Art and he said 84mm and up is no big deal on these (I was already at 83mm, so 84 is the next size). He ported the engine for bottom end, had Kommander supply new domes for his build, rebuilt/trued/welded the crank, he cleaned up the crank case a bit and assembled, he also reprogrammed my Advent to his specs. I added a RAD charging flywheel and then the Power Factor Pipe. The carbs are older Blackjacked SXR carbs that I was already running. He wants me to send them to him so he can do his thin tube atomizer on them, he says the Blackjack version of the SXR carbs (and stock Superjet carbs as well) can fool you into thinking the low end is rich and then you tune it too lean. I may or may not do this, I have some other (Riva I think) taper bore 44mm carbs here that I might go to next, but even with these 40mm Blackjacks, the power is fantastic. I need to try more setups for comparison though.

Cough cough mold cough

Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind....lol.

Such an awesome ski to ride( even with out grips)!!! Thanks again for letting me ride it over the weekend.

Thanks Ray!

Yep, the grips came loose on me. Brand new ODIs installed the night before that I should have re-torqued. They are on and tight now though.

Don't copy this quite yet, jury is out on it's' strength. Sportfish did something similar in his build, but instead of rails, glued/glassed in some inserts so you just unbolt the hold and bolt it to a different location.

Steve , real nice build congratulations ! This thing looks great and sounds like it rides fantastic . I think your hold idea is much more user friendly. Mine are strong not so easily adjusted (takes a few min and a fexable shaft driver to get the bolts started) I looked at using extruded channel , but wondered about the strength . Keep us posted on the performance . I may be some what kind of sort of in a round about way considering ........ Another ..... Well you know.

n20si

baller on a budget
Got the chance to ride this frankenski today and it is very impresive. You cant tell it was once a sxr. Comes out of the water very easy and im sure with a decent wake would flip no problem. The footholds actually feel really strong and are very comfortable. Overall has a real good feel and is very fun to ride.

swapmeet

Brotastic
Looks friggin killer, and i'm glad to hear it rides the same. Really digging the holds!!!

Good work captian... now all you have to do is enjoy it...

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
I've avoided this thread for awhile since it was an SXR based build. I just read it since I saw it was finished. Nice work. Good attention to detail! The final product looks fantastic.

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Thanks guys! I am very please with it, even though it's just a damn SXR...lol. :biggthumpup:

After riding yesterday, I realized that I need to bring my impeller size down to get into the pipe earlier. I have a stock SXR impeller here, I will probably toss that on and see, then maybe talk to Dave and see what he recommends.

I tossed n20si's Superjet on my trailer when we rode on Monday and mine ended up about 1" shorter than his stock SJ. I lined up the front rocker here:

sxr vs superjet.jpg

Here you can see his white bottom showing slightly behind mine.

sxr vs superjet3.jpg

Top Bottom