Chp took my ski

Hey guys ive been on this forum looking and reading a ton about jet skis for about 4 years now. Always wanted to get a superjet and just last week I finally cashed out and went and bought a 1996 superjet that had been fully reinforced with carbon fiber and was set up for surf. I bought the ski and it had the pink slip and cf numbers along with a vin number on the inside of the hull and everything matched up. Anyways, i went out with a few friends and we were on our way to lake new hogan in northern california when we were pulled over by chp for no license plate on the trailer. Long story short, the chp forced us all to pop the hoods on our skis for no reason or probable cause, told me my vin has been tampered with and he had to take my jet ski. I told him it was removed when the entire inside of the hull was reinforced and then placed back when it was done. He was not having it and seized my jet ski that i paid $4k for and my buddies 2 ski trailer. Even though I had the pink slip in hand and everything matched up, he still took it from me. He told me he is going to send it to a vin inspector and he has up to 90 days to inspect the ski to find out if its stolen or not. Cop told me either 1 of 2 things are going to happen. If it comes back stolen (which it wont, i knew the dude who did all the work on it) i go to jail for possession of stolen property, or if they cant prove anything, they are going to crush my ski.
Im heart broken and extremely dissapointed this happened to me. Im really asking if this has happened to anyone else on here or if anyone can give me any advice or information on what i should do to fight this?

Byeai

"Cheetos-Man"
Why would they crush ur ski if nothing is wrong
If contact zack and jake bright they had a issue with their aftermarket skis and the were taken and siezed and thee got them back

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Byeai

"Cheetos-Man"
Also since it's on the trailer it shouldn't matter if it has a Vin or not if it was a am hull they done have vins well most don't is not like u were riding it so he shouldn't have taken it

SkiPro

Trim down for what!?!?!?
Yaa that's some BS.. He prolly just liked your ski and needs it for the 4th of july weekend coming up... Haha.. then contact you Monday saying come get it, cause he coulda ran that vin right then and there. And if he likes it he will just keep it for 90 days.. free rental..

Yep. He could have run the Vin in 30 seconds to see if it was stolen. This is either a troll or a seriously licoriceed up chp officer. If op is not a troll, it's time to lawyer up and handle your poop!

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Sounds like you started a fight with him and he made sure to finish it. Did you have trailer registration? Cops are people too man.

Yami-Rider

TigerCraft FV-PRO
Hopefully you get it figured out soon. Get a tag on that trailor, don't give them a reason to pull you over. In oklahoma we don't need tags on trailors, but I go threw the process of getting one anyways, so when I'm out of state.

Fro Diesel

creative control
Call his superior immediately!! If you didn't break the law, you shouldn't need a lawyer. That being said, do not put down the phone until you have your ski back. In our state they would just write you up a ticket and you could go to court. Seems odd the cop was trollin with a hitch looking for violation and trailers to seize.

I went to a free ride where I was told I could not ride because I did not have HIN tags in the rn hull. I made some tags at a trophy shop, glued it behind the ebox, and the one stickler cop eventually let me ride.

RivMan

doing something stupid...
Site Supporter
I know Cali is pretty strict on tampering with HIN tags. Did your ski have a HIN on the outside, as well as the inside?

-Rob

"Long story short, the CHP forced us all to pop the hoods on our skis for no reason or probable cause, told me my vin has been tampered with and he had to take my jet ski."

What's the whole story? Where did he look for your HIN and how could he tell it was tampered with? I don't understand why he forced(?) you to pop the hoods when he could have looked at the externally placed HIN tag.

Tyrant1919

Site Supporter
I've been pulled over going with my trailer without even a license plate on it in california (Plate was in the trailer storage bin). No issues. Had a virginia cop pull behind me when I was on the side of the road fixing a water leak. Truck had out of date sticker registration. (I had the registration paid and a receipt, just no sticker yet) No problems. Just depends.

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter
OP only has one post and is not replying.. Troll thread or the OP was in the wrong and not giving the whole story.

Ya, could be, but he has been a member since dec. 2011, so hes nots BS'ing about that. I frequent a couple forums that I am a member of, but have never posted until I had a real problem or a question I couldn't find with a search. Also some forums you cant see posted pics until you join.

But if he is telling the truth I would be calling the cops superior right away like said earlier and not gettting off the phone until its released/cleared and you have the Officers name who Ok'ed it all.. Or if they are dicks, call a lawyer.

Last edited:

JMew03

The call me Mew Mew
Also since it's on the trailer it shouldn't matter if it has a Vin or not if it was a am hull they done have vins well most don't is not like u were riding it so he shouldn't have taken it

Well in the state of Texas, if you have a ski at the state parks, it has to be registered with legal stickers. Regardless if it is being put in the water or not. Ask me how I know :)

It doesn't matter if you have the pink slip, if the ski was stolen they would have put a clean hin on it anyway. I know it's frustrating, but from the cops point of view you have a ski with an obviously altered hin plate.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

CRJ

Hibernating
a ski doesnt need a vin to be on a trailer. if you were on the water its a different story. Contact the supervisor and find out what grounds he had to take the ski. It seems like a warrant-less search which is not allowed however he would probably say "the plate was gone so i wanted to check the skis". if the vin appears tampered he could easily and legally seize all of it as the paperwork you have could have been in the ski. now if the vin of the ski is in your name, then you have a chance, but if its been tampered with they could argue its your vin on another ski. Regardless lawyer up and go get your ski back.

Top Bottom