Chp took my ski

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
The court needs to understand that that cop has no clue and is making statements based on assumptions and not actual proof.

Having somebody from the dealership come down and make a statement might be a huge steps towards establishing that the officer involved is by no means an expert.

One problem you will face is that different years skis had different HIN placements. The SN skis had a dedicated place that was consistant but 96 and up has some variations, in placement as well as material. For example, my 07 has a stainless tag on the right side rear where my old 96 was plastic and on the left rear.

I know right!? After the court case I was talking To him after the court case and he tried explaining to me that all he was only trying to do his job and that if he has a 1982 Corvette and his is ugly and he asked me if it made sense that he stole a clean one swap the vans from his junk on to the clean stolen one and that it would be OK. I told him that is more than possible and that any vehicle on the road could be stolen just as much as my Jetske could've been stolen

Bs I drive that road every week and just bought a house up there and my Chan was not legit what so ever. Yes it was mine I was the original buyer but I do see where he was making his decisions from. But seriously impound? Your a good dude he could have just wrote a summons to prove it was not stolen in court. All done no harm done

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter
Like said, OVER zealous CHP rookie... Talking out of his azz on things he does not have correct knowledge on concerning Yamaha Watercraft as to where and how VINs are attached to hull, and where S/N are on engine cases..

SO many things wrong here.. I just watched the vid for a half hour and OMG, I would be fuming and at the same time trying to keep it cool like you guys were.. not easy to do! Especially when he is saying things like "Oh your never gonna get this back, etc"...

Just a couple things i saw wrong:
Hes saying there's another HIN tag under the battery tray.... wrong answer, thats on a Kawi. Upper port firewall on SJ/FX-1, but they ALWAYS fall off because they are glued on, no rivets there..

Also rear HIN has glue underneath plus the rivets if my memory serves me correct.

Hes scratching the top little flat area on the cases for engine S/N, only thing that used to be there was a sticker identifying Yamaha case type and part number Id.. S/N's are engraved on the back of the case by rear crack seal area..

Like mentioned 5 times, Get a Lawyer!

his mind was made up from the get go and the fact that he spent 1hr trying to validate his position is telling of his mind set.his assumptions do not make for confiscating this ski and your behavior plays in your favor.if only you kept the cursing down!!
the fact that the outside hin was not attached is the source of your problem
all of the yami engines i've seen do not have engraved # and even more so not on the pad he scrapped.the # is on a sticker affixed to the other pad(exhaust side) and is know for coming off over time+gas+oil etc.. make it peel off.some but not all cases are stamped near the rear crank seal on top and bottom case so you know you have matching cases
some cases do not even have a sticker at all.
the hin can be either riveted on the hull right rear transom(required by law) either on the side of hull or right on the back.some are stainless and some are plastic.
the second hin(which is not required by law but recommended) is usually glued on bulkhead and sometimes on side of engine compartment towards the rear.
GET A LAWYER once again!

Last edited:
This is another one of those horror stories I keep hearing lately. This is why I try and keep all my stuff legit with registration, cf numbers, and vins. All it takes is one dickhead cop. Hope the OP get his ski back.

I know the cop in the video even admits he knows nothing about jet skis. He was comparing my superjet to the kawi 650 and assumed the vins would be exactly the same. I think I have no choice but to pay for a lawyer to help me out even if I get the chance to fight this. The judge can very well read what I'm going to send him and deny it. I'm told judges do not like going back on their decision. All I have to really do is prove what all you guys are telling me is legit. It just pisses me off that my vin is where is supposed to be on the inside but the judge assumes otherwise

OCD Solutions

I'm torn. My first thought is to take this as far as it takes to get your ski back.

My second thought is that the system is really not in your favor and to walk away rather than just throw more money at it. It sucks for sure but the only thing that would suck more is doubling or tripling the cost by adding lawyers fees, only to lose in the end.

Last edited:
Haha yeah I'm for sure starting to learn from you guys that I need a lawyer. And when I get my ski back id have to sell my ski in order to pay off the lawyer lol. I'm going to look at a ski in sac later today and it's all all original 1996 superjet. Hopefully the guy doesn't mind me taking pictures and video of the ski. Hopefully he has the bin glued in where mine is at. Someone on here already texted me a pic of their vin glued in the exact same location mine was in. I'm going to use that to send to the judge.

OCD Solutions

I don't know if this will help at all but here is a manual for the 96 Superjet.
http://www.fimconi.it/home/all/D116E9F6B35DC20AC1257CA70037F925/$FILE/service_manual_SuperJet.pdf

I looked through and found the reference to HIN placement on page 10 (1-1)
It details out more numbers that will need to be intact though so I don't know if this helps or hurts your cause.

- The midshaft housing failure rate is so high, few would still be intact with original decal. swapping the decal would be considered "tampering."
- Decal on inner sidewall of engine bay is commonly removed for reinforcement or repair.
- The motor tag is lost when you swap an engine. Swapping it could be considered "tampering".
- The outside HIN should have been reattached after the scupper install.

Last edited:
I think you should email the judge a link to this so he can see that the community understands this stuff and maybe he can learn from this thread and then verify what he learns....heck man...if the judge wants many many many of us can email him and tell him how this is wrong and you are in fact legit. He is the only guy/gal that should matter to you right now. He didn't get to where he is in life being unreasonable. The cop on the other hand simply took a civil service test and bam he is just another of millions of cops.

OCD Solutions

I would show up with a trailer full of bone stock OEM Yamaha Superjets and make the cop point out all the items he listed as "proof". The judge took the cop on his word that he did his due diligence so your tact needs to be to point out that he in fact did not.

Haha yeah I'm for sure starting to learn from you guys that I need a lawyer. And when I get my ski back id have to sell my ski in order to pay off the lawyer lol. I'm going to look at a ski in sac later today and it's all all original 1996 superjet. Hopefully the guy doesn't mind me taking pictures and video of the ski. Hopefully he has the bin glued in where mine is at. Someone on here already texted me a pic of their vin glued in the exact same location mine was in. I'm going to use that to send to the judge.
You might be surprised on the cost of a lawyer, sometimes a letter or phone call from a respected attorney is enough to at least slow down the proceedings until you get things in order.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Dude you need a lawyer. This cop is only trying to do his job. If the ski was actually stolen and it was yours youd be pretty happy he went through all this to make sure its on the up. GET A LAWYER

Why are you apologizing for the police officer? This is seizure of property without evidence. If I had the credibility of a police officer I am sure I could convince the court that your grandmother stole a vehicle. Yes, they get that much credibility. I believe it to be a fact that here in New York, there is assigned squads that deal exclusively with stolen vehicles. This guy is far from an expert. What also bothers me is that you automatically assumed the OP to have mouthed off to the police officer. I watched alot of the OP's video and I can say with assurance that he was respectable to the CHP officer. I am sure this guy is trying to do his job to the best of his ability, but he is damaging the public. If I forgot to tighten a wheel on a car and caused financial burden to the owner, would you apologize for me? Thanks. I was just trying to do my job.

To the OP: I am not a lawyer, but a lawyer's consultation is worth alot more than anyone else here. You need to speak to a lawyer because you are being accused of a felony. Regardless of whether the ski is worth it, you must protect your credibility and prevent unlawful seizures of other people's vehicles. It's going to cost you $4000 either way, whether it be by the crusher or a lawyer hitting you with a bill. What is even worse is that the officer can make inaccurate statements that a HIN number should be located where there isn't a HIN number. Jet skis are easy seizure for this amateur: there isn't a standardized location for HIN numbers or a database for him to refer to. I would definitely question his source of information - what backs up his statements? "There is supposed to be a HIN number here" "There is adhesive holding the HIN tag as opposed to rivets"

If you would like me to write an e-mail, I would spend considerable time to try and help you out. Of course I would do some research on the laws.

Ducky

Back in the game!
I loved when the office was feeling under the rear bond line and was like "Yea, uh huh, I feel the two rivet holes right here where the vin used to be."

Yea bro....thats exactly where it was located....NEVER.

Top Bottom