Other Computer Aided Handlpole Design

Needed a pole for a new hull I have on the way, its not quite finished but heres what solidworks + mastercam + a cnc can get you combines a few of the concepts I like from poles on the market atm.

Attachments

• poleparts1.jpg
    poleparts1.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 156
  • poleparts.jpg
    poleparts.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 146
  • poleparts2.jpg
    poleparts2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 148
Looks good, interesting to say the least. You should really build yourself a couple real world test mules. You can test poles for years on a computer, but if you are not testing for all the real world forces put on the pole, what is the point? The forces you are testing these poles against are merely guesses, but I am sure they are in the ball park. I also went to PSU (main campus) and CAD programs are great for creating a good basic design, but real world r&d is what will actually make the part fail. And after it fails a CAD program is great for refining the product after it has been tested.

Get that TIG fired up and see what you can make....It is also one thing to make it on paper (computer screen....whatever haha) and it is something else to be able to create it with raw materials.

Last edited:
The point of the FEA analysis is not to determine if it will be strong enough but to determine if any areas are needlessly heavy compared to the rest of the setup. Notice how I was comparing the thicknesses of different setups and determining if braces+lightening holes would be stronger than solid plate. I do not have a TIG setup YET and I'd like to build these 100% myself.

icecoled007

Captain of this ship
I skimmed through this entire thread.

Seems like you have some really good things going on. Im excited for when you get something built.

Most importantly, your taking cost into account, which most pole manufactures dont....

No progress, I lost all of my solid models when my laptop drive (and laptop) crashed to the floor last spring. I DID get a job though, in Mukilteo, WA for an aerospace machine supplier whom allows nearly full shop access for personal projects on weekends. I can't use the union pr150 with a tool envelope of 157"x98"x40" :(. Capitol should start rolling in shortly looking to have prototypes by xmas.

I was tasked with learning Solidworks today at work while some things on the next company project are finalized. This is what I came up with coming in at under 5lbs using 2.5x.083 aluminum tubing. Bevels are inserted because I was seeing where welds would work best. I still need to figure out the turn-plate pivot, I want to go either Delrin or sealed ball bearing so there is no metal on metal sliding:
Handlepolex.png

Handlepolex-1.png

Last edited:

OptimaRacing

Jet zoomers
I just read this entire thread, very interesting. Are you set on the under mounted steering? I feel like under mount steering is more susceptible to loosening, wearing out seals/o-rings and loosing tolerances due to the added stress of the rider exerting downward force on the turn plate & steering system. I feel with top mount systems, the main force is the push/pull with downward force being lessened by the turn plate and steering system "sitting" on the pole itself.

I just read this entire thread, very interesting. Are you set on the under mounted steering? I feel like under mount steering is more susceptible to loosening, wearing out seals/o-rings and loosing tolerances due to the added stress of the rider exerting downward force on the turn plate & steering system. I feel with top mount systems, the main force is the push/pull with downward force being lessened by the turn plate and steering system "sitting" on the pole itself.

If it is designed correctly then there should be no problem with loosening of any nuts. How this design will be I have no ides but it will not be compatible with stock SN turnplates. I'd love for it to be compatible with any aftermarket one but if not then I'll just make my own.

OptimaRacing

Jet zoomers
If it is designed correctly then there should be no problem with loosening of any nuts. How this design will be I have no ides but it will not be compatible with stock SN turnplates. I'd love for it to be compatible with any aftermarket one but if not then I'll just make my own.

I would definitely make the design accept the plethora of aftermarket bearing style steering systems available right now. Having the pole only accept a steering system that is exclusive to it's design would drastically reduce it's appeal to customers.

What are the dimensions of a standard turnplate? pivot hole dia, plate thickness, steering connection offset, handlebar offset from pivot.
I believe that is all I need. Links with pictures to existing aftermarket bearing setups would be appreciated, aside from the obvious ones available on blowsion etc.

Last edited:
Yup, no expen$ive billet here, although the bearing carrier for the steering if I so choose to have one will likely be machined. Other than that I will only need a table saw with a non-ferrous blade for most of the parts and of course an AC tig with various argon back-purge setups for quality welds. I'd love to build a cnc router and/or a cnc plasma cutter like a mechmate or torchmate but that is a ways down the road.

Sorry for so much talk and so little build, without a means of construction I have been sleeping on it nearly every night.

Last edited:
The turn plate would be ideal if it was mounted on a longer spindle with two bearings and standard shaft seals. This would cure all of the maintenance problems that current designs suffer. Everything is designed to work with a stock spindle which is too short forcing designers to make maintenance intensive alternatives. A standard flat plate with plastic bushings mounted against a 4" phenolic washer is very good for the money.

Top Bottom