Other Did you know ?????

Did you know that in the state of California the supreme court believes that you "ARE AT YOUR OWN RISK ON THE WATER". To drive on the roads you must have insurance. This is only for PWC's. If someone is acting careless, wreckless, or dangerous and hits you or your family and injures you or damages your equipment, you have no rights to be reimbursed. Even if something happens and clearly an accident it does not matter you have no rights. I was so stoked the other day while downloading some other photos I found the video of the accident. This was kind of strange watching it, but I still have no rights. How do you feel about this???

From what my lawyer says that the state of Illinois agrees with me but the state of Cali thinks pwc riding is an at risk sport, so is golf, flag football, and a variety of things we do on a regular basis. No love in cali..........

One good thing about this (I guess) is that after being run over I now have the best insurance policy you can get for a pwc including roadside or waterside assistance.

This is what I've found on Texas..

An operator involved in a boating accident must:

• Stop his or her vessel immediately at the scene of the accident and ...
  • Assist anyone injured or in danger from the accident, unless doing so would seriously endanger his or her own vessel or passengers and ...
  • Give, in writing, his or her name, address, and vessel identification to anyone injured and to the owner of any property damaged by the accident.
Vessel operators involved in an accident must report the accident by the quickest means possible if it has resulted in:

• Death or ...
  • The disappearance of a person from a vessel under circumstances that indicate death or injury or...
  • Injury requiring medical treatment beyond first aid or...
  • Property damage exceeding $500 to all vessels, docks, etc. involved in the accident.
Accident reports submitted by operators are confidential and are not admissible in court as evidence.

When I was younger we got hit in our boat by a drunk driver in another boat. We came out fine but he put a hole in the side of the boat and ripped the cowling off the motor. After my dad and him had a few words that aren't allowed on the forum, he just drove off and we got stuck with the repair.

The Penguin

triple secret probation
what do you mean, "I have no rights"

the couch operator should still be liable for his boat - even if he does not have insurance.

find out who they are and sue them...but with that video - you might hinder your chances.

what do you mean, "I have no rights"

the couch operator should still be liable for his boat - even if he does not have insurance.

find out who they are and sue them...but with that video - you might hinder your chances.

deffinitely dont show the vid. cuz your technically not supposed to jump boat wake cuz its difficult to see oncoming boats and such.

With the law it comes down to proving wreckless behavior. To me him riding at 30 mph jumping wakes on a 3 seat sit down with his his young daughter the back is enough. He had at least 40-50 yards to make decision, and if he had been paying attention, following that boat, or had any clue about anything he would have just turned, or slowed down.

The Penguin

triple secret probation
take yourself out of the situation and look at it...

you were more reckless by jumping a boat wake and not maintaining control of your boat.

if you had been in the water - the accident most likely would have been avoided.

Last edited:

tom21

havin fun
regardless of the other ski, in florida you would have gotten a ticket for wreckless driving ( because your ski left the water) and you would have a ticket for following that boat too close, and another for jumping the wake of that boat ( both vicinity and leaving the water) then most likely you would be at fault for causing that accident. sorry, I know Im an asz for saying it but from what I saw and the tickets Ive seen handed out in florida at least, you would be in a world of hurt.

This is why its best to ride with other standups and far far away for anyone else. if you want to jump boat wakes, do it off a friends boat and in a spot where there is no chance of anyone else interfering. If that means no fun then so be it. sorry dude. Just glad you are okay.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
With the law it comes down to proving wreckless behavior. To me him riding at 30 mph jumping wakes on a 3 seat sit down with his his young daughter the back is enough. He had at least 40-50 yards to make decision, and if he had been paying attention, following that boat, or had any clue about anything he would have just turned, or slowed down.

at 1:59 it shows you crossing and a perpendicular path to the boat jumping his wake. The runabout looks to be following in the same direction as the boat. At approx 2:02 you got hit by the runabout. He did not have time to do anything. You jumped into his path. If there is any blame to be given it is to you. When you jump wakes, it is up to you to make sure that you are clear of all watercraft and objects. Glad you are ok, but to blame the other rider is wrong.

Top Bottom