excuse me mam, do you smoke?

chad256

BOB'n on a budget
This is what makes the Diesel community look bad, and there is a lot of controversy on other diesel forums about this topic. I used to think smoke was cool and I used to smoke people out, then I grew up and started making power, now my goal is as little smoke as possible.

Well, here's another vid.. They call it "Rollin' coals" in a few diesel forums I read up on when I was interested in buying one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOLmKHgzI2M

I heard that in order to keep the motor running correctly you needed to burn off some sediment every once in awhile. I've heard disaster stories on Cummins that were just used leisurely around town.
This would also make sense, because I see a few guys around with big diesels, that on occasion will just run the engine like a raped ape...
Don't get me wrong, I've only read this, I'm no expert... But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night..

I always laugh at the tough guys that think its cool to blow smoke everywhere. Like others have pointed out, smoking does not automatically mean your making power. I once had my a$$ handed to me by a older diesel truck on the highway without any suit. This was back when I had my 450hp+ 300zx twin turbo.

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
Well, here's another vid.. They call it "Rollin' coals" in a few diesel forums I read up on when I was interested in buying one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOLmKHgzI2M

I heard that in order to keep the motor running correctly you needed to burn off some sediment every once in awhile. I've heard disaster stories on Cummins that were just used leisurely around town.
This would also make sense, because I see a few guys around with big diesels, that on occasion will just run the engine like a raped ape...
Don't get me wrong, I've only read this, I'm no expert... But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night..

Complete BS. How many diesel fleet trucks have you ever heard of needing that? People used to say the same about plain old v-8 engines, "everyone once in a while you need to rev it out".

djraider700

lol wut?
Complete BS. How many diesel fleet trucks have you ever heard of needing that? People used to say the same about plain old v-8 engines, "everyone once in a while you need to rev it out".

I drive an 07 Dodge Cummins for a plow truck. If you are at low rpms for extended amounts of time, a little warning light will come on telling you that the dpf filter is reaching capacity. If you drive it under normal conditions, the ecu will raise the temp and clean out the particulates every so often. No smoke is created though.

Actually, it's true... With diesel more so than gas... Most, if not all new engines in fleet rigs have a programed computer with a "re-gen" program that kicks in and runs the engine out to burn off the sediment left in exhaust system... I have yet to see one that actually rolled coal because of it though... This is just a huge waste of fuel, soot is bad on exhaust parts and engine oil...

even fleet trucks have a regen these days. Its an emissions things not a performance. It burns so hot there is not any extra smoke when regen is taking place. When it first came out they had the regen going while the vehicle was at an idle, burning the paint off cars lines up with the exhaust pipe. They changed that. Ive always heard a ton of black smoke is just a :):):):) load of fuel not being burned. Improper tuning.

lakeboy183

get out and ride
I think this is funny! Nothing I would do all the time but like said before I would do it to someone tying to show off or someone who was tailgating me. I see this every day up here with all the oil riggers and it's not smoke switches. 90% of trucks that smoke has tuner chips with exhaust systems. Diesel is cleaner that gas anyway so keep rolling coal!!

grezzmky

Suckin paint fumes
I wouldn't own a diesel on a bet. The smell makes me want to puke and the sound reminds me of chitty chitty bang bang.

Put two skis in the truck bed, hook up a 24foot boat full of gas, load the wife and 2 dogs all in a 10 year old dodge truck with a Cummins, set the cruise to 80mph and drive to the lake never down shifting or loosing speed all while getting around 20mpg and ull be talking a different tune. I'll never drive a gas truck again.

N3vrSat1sfied

Military Member
Well yes this does give our diesel community a bad name. Why would you smoke out a hot girl? I choose carefully when to "get on it" in my powerstroke. Usually only Ricers or drivers driving like jack***es (specially those who like to tailgate).

My 6oh will smoke like that with no load and it is properly tuned. No I dont have a SMOKE SWITCH, that is one of the worst mods you can do. Most smoke switches trick the computer to think there is no boost, which pours fuel into the cylinders. I am not a fan of cylinder wash and fuel in the oil. I have as many mods on my truck as I do on my skis if not more. I dont run junk programmers from the shelf, only customs tunes. Like jett said HP equals smoke, any diesel making power will have some smoke, unless its your local idiots that use a smoke switch or put on huge injectors with no other mods.

as far as gas vs diesel, let me know when your hybrid golf cart can pull 26000lbs.

not my truck, but for example this is a professorial shops truck.

Last edited by a moderator:
roaling coal is gayer than aids it means 2 things you dont have enough boost or you have :):):):)ty tuning. my truck hardly smokes at all and my tip is dumped under the bed so that any smoke i do have dissipates.

Dmitri Millard is making almost 2000 hp and the only time he is smoking is when the turbo loads

Last edited by a moderator:

N3vrSat1sfied

Military Member
roaling coal is gayer than aids it means 2 things you dont have enough boost or you have :):):):)ty tuning.

not to many trucks have instant spoll, atleast not single turbo. So smoke before boost occurs with most properly tuned trucks.

only time he is smoking is when the turbo loads

yup he was smoking before boost was built, as with any properly tuned diesel......

Last edited:

N3vrSat1sfied

Military Member
^ I misunderstood your first post, we are on the same page. Your truck shouldn't smoke much after boost is built.

Top Bottom