Super Jet Factory B Pipe Install

hey guys, i was told that this site had a lot of knowledge. i'm about to install a factory b pipe on my 2010 yamaha superjet. It is 99% stock, all it has is an intake grate. I ordered my pipe a few months ago, but never had a chance to install it. I'm now about to, but am a little scared from all the tuning problems i see online. My pipe came with two 135 jets. I've never messed around with a carburetor before. My first question is, do i just remove a cover off the carburetor and swap the stock main jet to a 135 jet? Do these go in a certain amount or all the way in? And do i need lock tite on them? Do i need to change the pilot jet or anything else also? Do i have to touch the high/low speed or idle needle? I understand that i'll have to play around with the three screws on the b-pipe, but i'm just worried about not setting up the carburetor properly. I also read something about needing to drill out caps because it's 08+. Any tips?

Thx

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
It's pretty easy.
Take the diaphragm cover off and remove the diaphragm. Take out the two counter-sunk Philips screws and remove the jetting block. Under it is main and pilot jet. Use an appropriately sized screw driver to get the main jet out (the big one).
Just install the new one and button things back up. No locktite.
Per FPP:
Main Jet: 135 (130 stock)
Pilot Jet: 70 (stock)
High speed screw: 1 2 turns out from closed
Low speed screw: 1 1/4 turns out form closed
Needle & Seat: stock (55 psi)
Spring: 95 gram (You probably have a 115g in there)

You will need to get the anti-tamper caps off before you can get to the hi and lo adjusters. Just drill into the top of each cap carefully and shallow. Then try to pull the caps off.

sweet, you make it seem like it's easy. Can the jets be installed without removing the carburetors? i have another question, for the high speed screw, is that 1 and a half turns, 1 or 2 turns, or 1/2 turn? And is it better to have a heavier spring? or does that not matter?

edit: oh, and can i install this without taking the tank out? i have the battery out, but the tank is full of gas.
edit: my superjet is currently still in winterization mode. am i safe to install the new pipe, or should i start it up to clean everything out first?

Last edited:

Matt_E

Site Supporter
You can theoretically install the jets without removing the carbs, but I highly highly recommend that you don't.
The tank has to come out. Just syphon the fuel out first.
That's 1/2 turn.
It might be fine with the 115 gram spring, but I'd recommend the 95 gram spring.
You don't need to worry about the winterizing, no need to start it up first. Your pipe should have come with a set of install instructions.

Last edited:
how come you highly highly recomend not to? why two highlys :( Is it because they're hard to get at or something? i have small hands :)
so i should order a 95g spring then? i guess i'll need to wait till I get the spring before installing the pipe.

Dmac80sc

Site Supporter
Its just hard to see what you are doing. Lot easier to lay them down and get better leverage when getting the screws and jets out. You don't want to strip the jets.

how come you highly highly recomend not to? why two highlys :( Is it because they're hard to get at or something? i have small hands :)
so i should order a 95g spring then? i guess i'll need to wait till I get the spring before installing the pipe.
Its just so much easy if you remove the carbs, its just 4 12 mm nuts stopping you from getting them off. Its also a lot easier to get the inside of the carbs dirty because its such a tight space

Its just so much easy if you remove the carbs, its just 4 12 mm nuts stopping you from getting them off. Its also a lot easier to get the inside of the carbs dirty because its such a tight space

ah ok, i figured it would be harder to take the carb off. I guess i'll take it off then. Thx

is it hard to change the spring? is it idiot proof to install, i read something somewhere about needing to seat it or something. Like i said in my first post, i'm clueless when it comes to tuning. But i definitely want to learn. Thx guys for the help.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
It's pretty easy. Just loosen the screw holding down the pivot pin for the arm (also under diaphragm cover) enough to get the spring out.

sweet, i'm sure this will all make sense once i start messing with the carburetors, wish i could do it tomorrow morning, but now i need to order the spring.

Mine doesn't have a head, reeds or enhancer though. Do you think i could still get away with the 115g spring? I do plan on purchasing a head, but that won't be for a few months.

Top Bottom