Surfriding Fast Elements Presents the Carolina Beach Freeride at Freeman Park!!

Some carnage! We heard something and pulled over....right tire had a massive chunk out of it but was still holding air somehow....tossed on a spare...........and left leaf spring cracked and was dragging!

Rigged it up in the mountain rain with what we had and made it another 300 miles.....

I thinkit was a combo of being old and the bouncing on the beach.....gets bad in the ruts and you have to keep your speed up.....another good reason for no trailers!DSC05245.jpgDSC05243.jpg

thats how we roll down here in good ole North Carolina! it was EPIC and i wish i coulda made it down friday... HUGE thanks to Scott for organizing the event and not to mention, the stress of pickiing up 8+ and taking them on the beach myself included... also, the town of Carolina Beach Gustapo stopped us on our way off the beach and said "your jetski friends were the most courteous and also had the cleanest campsites on the beach... thats quite a compliment seeing as how many police hate jetskis... cant wait to do it again...

Some carnage! We heard something and pulled over....right tire had a massive chunk out of it but was still holding air somehow....tossed on a spare...........and left leaf spring cracked and was dragging!

Rigged it up in the mountain rain with what we had and made it another 300 miles.....

I thinkit was a combo of being old and the bouncing on the beach.....gets bad in the ruts and you have to keep your speed up.....another good reason for no trailers!View attachment 183814View attachment 183813
Nice road repair ! Good thinkin !

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
Great Ride! Best spot I have ever seen for a ride. Camping on the beach, with fire and alcohol and your skis right there.... Waves were great Sat morning!

A few small points to improve the ride.

1. You NEED a place to ditch trailers....maybe pay someone local close by to ditch them in their yard by the entrance???? (Not everyone has hitch haulers and giant vehicles.)
2. I think it should only be once a year. There are SO many rides now, it'll just make the numbers smaller...or maybe make the fall one just for locals and the spring one for everyone?
3. I'm going to set up a specific time to film by the surf and make a big sign so everyone knows when. The camping spot is just a littlel out of camera range, unless we move closer to the point. I wasn't able to get much surf footage at all. (Video to come!)

**** I'll be back to this one for SURE! Cheapest ride yet! No hotel costs, No drinking at the bar costs.....just $50 per truck for the whole weekend! The best part is being able to drink and party where your skis are at like Daytona used to be.

Last edited:
i think for the filming those that want to be in the video should go over to masonboro which is the island right across from the inlet we camped.. no other people and probably better wave sets there.. the camp spot out of the breakers was perfect.. being less than 4 hrs away i will be at every event to come.. it would also be cool to do a lil ride up through the creeks in the inlet which is a blast especially if the waves are not good... this lil video was of me scott ashby and steve from a ride we did in december on wrightsville beach.. this was sooo damn fun! http://vimeo.com/33919223

The inlet is your friend! Once you go past the point, the current gets nasty, plus for those of us with large tents that are more sail then tent, the wind protection of the inlet is crucial.

I agree even a close by paid lot to dump trailers would be convenient.

we were leaving just after 9am sunday morning and were towing a friends beach cart that has a tongue on it to hook up to a vehicle and got stopped by the cb police about the trailer, after convincing him it was a beach cart he let us go and said that next time we could get a waiver for the weekend to use trailers.. also on a side note, the cb workers we dealt with were very polite and easy to work with.. the police even said thanks for coming out and also said our campsites were the cleanest on the beach and welcomed everyone back! thats awesome coming from police who typically hate the jetski crowd... so maybe next time we can use the trailers it will depend on what bigwig we can get in front of..

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
The current at the mouth of the inlet is GNARLEY. It sucked me out to sea when my ski died. I was in 3 feet of water and could not pull my ski to the beach!

Da*m I missed it, Im a Wilmington native and regularly go to the north end. Just now saw this thread. Im not much of an impressive surf rider but it would have been cool to go out and check out the scene. Looking forward to September

Top Bottom