FFF wants to build a hull with a chasis

eastcoastjumper

James
Site Supporter

swapmeet

Brotastic
Everything is breakable, but how many hulls can handle a hit with a sledge hammer?

Until they do a side by side test of their ski next to another popular ski doing the same "testing" I put no stock into this marketing fluff. I bet a Superjet would survive the same hit with equal resiliency.

I think they have capital. Yes. And they're throwing a lot of spaghetti at the wall, trying to see what sticks, and thats all good. They do have some riders and thats good for development.

But ya'll need to put down your foam fingers and think before you declare this "the next big thing."
They post video's of skis being hit with hammers and post tensile strength data about their polymer on their flashy website but don't tell you what the tensile strength of Carbon, or Glass is?
It's just a bunch of numbers with no point of reference.

So people are like "Oh wow... that's a lot of fancy numbers, must mean its good..." "Oooooh they have a slick website.... I like that!"
But all I see so far is hype, marketing... fluff.

And hype is fine..... absolutely fine. But don't misinterpret the hype and marketing fluff for actual product performance and results.... That's all I'm saying.

IDK why this is driving me so crazy...

King Kang

Never enough tray time...
Until they do a side by side test of their ski next to another popular ski doing the same "testing" I put no stock into this marketing fluff. I bet a Superjet would survive the same hit with equal resiliency.

I think they have capital. Yes. And they're throwing a lot of spaghetti at the wall, trying to see what sticks, and thats all good. They do have some riders and thats good for development.

But ya'll need to put down your foam fingers and think before you declare this "the next big thing."
They post video's of skis being hit with hammers and post tensile strength data about their polymer on their flashy website but don't tell you what the tensile strength of Carbon, or Glass is?
It's just a bunch of numbers with no point of reference.

So people are like "Oh wow... that's a lot of fancy numbers, must mean its good..." "Oooooh they have a slick website.... I like that!"
But all I see so far is hype, marketing... fluff.

And hype is fine..... absolutely fine. But don't misinterpret the hype and marketing fluff for actual product performance and results.... That's all I'm saying.

IDK why this is driving me so crazy...

I'm in marketing, so I totally get your point regarding the disparity between hype and reality, but they do have videos of SJ hulls getting dropped and hit with hammers on their site, and the Lawlors are riding (demoing? testing? it is unclear.) their skis. I'm a skeptic at my core, but what they've done thus far suggests that they have a lot more money than most first time builders, and they're are willing to innovate (or at least try to.) Both of which I like. Now I need to see some serious ride reports.

swapmeet

Brotastic
I'm a skeptic at my core, but what they've done thus far suggests that they have a lot more money than most first time builders, and they're are willing to innovate (or at least try to.) Both of which I like. Now I need to see some serious ride reports.

This... ^^^^
I'm in sales... so yeah... right there with you. But i'm a skeptic 3-4 layers out from the core on a personal level.

FWIW, other than FFF's ridiculous pitch to their investors about how much they'll sell.... (and thats really none of my business....) I have no bone to pick with FFF.
I hope they succeed. It does nothing but bring innovation. Even if their stuff is 15K for a hull, its technology that someone can borrow/ use, etc and offer competition and at the end of the day, thats more options for us.

But look at Superfreakskis.com... generic website. Nothing flashy... yet Tem's making the most popular, sought after hulls in the industry.
He's my hero lol... he sells unfinished hulls that everyone raves about for more than pretty much all the msgs get for finished hulls.

Obviously it's strong enough for a hammer but the flex you get from that kinda impact the hood will pop off. The cage idea I assume is to brace the flex of the plastic on impacts. I like the company and marketing but I'm so skeptical of the cage idea. Just 1 more major part to break or bend up. And if you hit hard enough to bend the cage the guts inside are still jolting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I could go to the Mastercraft throwdown next weekend and see one in person but it's on the same day as my sons first birthday party so I can't!

I just wonder how long out they are forecasting and at what rate of sales to get a positive roi. 2 years? 5 years? 10 years? Seems like they are spending an awful lot of money and have a lot of people on the payroll. None of my business I suppose. Cool looking hull. Looking forward to seeing some actual pictures/videos.

swapmeet

Brotastic
I just wonder how long out they are forecasting and at what rate of sales to get a positive roi. 2 years? 5 years? 10 years? Seems like they are spending an awful lot of money and have a lot of people on the payroll. None of my business I suppose. Cool looking hull. Looking forward to seeing some actual pictures/videos.

Deleted.... I'm an idiot.

Last edited:

Ducky

Back in the game!
Based on their initial pitch to their investors ( I have a screen shot of it)
Claims they would be cash flow positive by December of 2014, and they would spend $10k/ mo.
They projected their Gross Income for 2015 at $700k, and 2016 at $2.1Million

Obviously that's old info, and they haven't sold anything so I doubt they reached their Dec 2014 goal.

That wasnt a pitch to their investors....that was a college project that you found.

smoofers

Rockin' the SQUARE!!!!
Site Supporter
I think what FFF is attempting is fantastic. We need more innovators like them in the sport. Not only are they innovating but they have the balls to go all out and start a small business and learn from their mistakes and profit form their successes. I commend them and anxiously wait to see what they come up with.

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
My .02 from a broke college kid's standpoint. As an engineering student I think it's absolutely awesome what they're doing. However I think that alot of this industry is made up of people in their 20s that don't have 7k to spend on a bare hull. I hope that after they get their money back from R&D and startup costs that they heavily reduce the price. After all, the labor to make a deck using their methods is obviously way less intensive than hand laying a hull..
I don't think this is a game changer, I think it's more of just a league of its own that you can't compare anything to. Basically just a luxury hull. If freeform really wants to be a game changer, come up with a budget hull.
Thats just what I think. I won't be able to afford a $7000 piece of plastic for a long long time.

smoofers

Rockin' the SQUARE!!!!
Site Supporter
My .02 from a broke college kid's standpoint. As an engineering student I think it's absolutely awesome what they're doing. However I think that alot of this industry is made up of people in their 20s that don't have 7k to spend on a bare hull. I hope that after they get their money back from R&D and startup costs that they heavily reduce the price. After all, the labor to make a deck using their methods is obviously way less intensive than hand laying a hull..
I don't think this is a game changer, I think it's more of just a league of its own that you can't compare anything to. Basically just a luxury hull. If freeform really wants to be a game changer, come up with a budget hull.
Thats just what I think. I won't be able to afford a $7000 piece of plastic for a long long time.

I fully agree that most people can't afford $7k hulls (myself included). However, as with any industry, the people who have no money to spend are not the ones you want as customers. R&D takes money... LOTS of it. I think there is more short term money to be made from selling to the big dog$ with deep pockets. It drives innovation which then trickles down to the affordable side.

Top Bottom