FFF wants to build a hull with a chasis

Is it wrong that I want that jig table more than what's sitting on it?

The last company I worked for bought some very very basic jigs from the company that builds that table and they were 60k a piece. Before they sent the purchase order I had designed a jig in cad for what we needed that could have been built with scrap from our product line. I tried to save them the 180k they spent on the jigs but they wanted them. Why a fab should would buy jigs for a part we designed is beyond me but I guess that's too much of a de rail for this thread lol.

Not that there is anything wrong with this, but its pretty obvious they've outsourced the "fab" work to a chassis fab shop (see the race car in the back ground.) It looks like FFF handed the shop a top and bottom deck and said "Make a internal frame that fits inside this, allows for a handle pole mount, engine pump etc."

I'm interested to see how the decks fit around the frame, but i'm absolutely impressed with the fab work.

I did not know if they outsourced, or not. At any given time, you can see anything from a washing machine to a pro street bike in my shop. (and the washer goes from dirty to clean in 4 flat!!!) I fix/build anything, as long as it makes money. I just figure that everyone with an equipped shop does the same.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
"All drive train and components bolt directly to the chassis. The top deck mounts to the chassis through the handle pole bracket and chassis. While the bottom deck mounts to the chassis through the pump and chassis. The top and bottom deck seal at the bond rail with a VHB tape and specialty fasteners, providing a tight seal and easy removal." The FFF 2.0 will be available for pre-order for $7,250 USD next week. Hull specifications and details will be updated on the site soon."
11896140_1483250158655287_4163521057231299972_n.jpg

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
From the comments:

Brandon Lawlor - My prototype FFF 2.0 weighs 274 lbs RTR, but FFF will release final hull details and specs soon.

Free Form Factory Inc - To those who are asking about if it floats, yes it floats. The chassis bolts into the bottom deck and top deck, which are still made out of Hulklite. Hulklite has a specific gravity less than one (~.82) which means it floats, while fiberglass has an SG greater than one which means it sinks (~1.8).

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
The hulklite decks will not be buoyant enough to overcome the weight of the chassis and mechanicals if it fills with water. It will still need some sort of floatation.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
The hulklite decks will not be buoyant enough to overcome the weight of the chassis and mechanicals if it fills with water. It will still need some sort of floatation.

Probably have to shove pool noodles in the nooks and crannies like the other a/m hulls on the market.

XH20,
To answer some of your questions, the chassis was designed by the FFF team and the prototype chassis's were fabricated in conglomeration with a local Chassis Manufacture. All FFF 2.0 chassis's will be fabricated in house. The top deck, bottom deck, hood, and ride plate are all still the same as the FFF 1.0, but the internals have been replaced with our Chassis. Flotation air bladders have been added throughout the ski to provide additional flotation. If you have any other questions and or concerns about any FFF products, do not hesitate to contact us directly, whether it be via email or phone. We will be launching additional videos on how the FFF 2.0 goes together, along with riding footage soon. Brandon Lawlor and Brodie Copp will be competing on the new FFF 2.0 at the 2015 Blowsion Surf Slam.
Thanks,
Free Form Factory
info@ridefreeform.com
855-243-3733

Top Bottom