First time build - FX-1

Ski is awesome.I'm glad I went with adjustable footholds because I had to move them an inch. Note to newbs like me: plug all holes in the gas tank while it is sitting in a garage that will fill with dust from sanding on your build. Otherwise it will fill with debris and when you take it out and run it your brand new filter in your carb will plug and your ski won't run lol. Here's a couple pics from today. reg numbers courtesy of @jeremy chambon

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
haha ya. On every ski i've ridden with footholds they always seemed too far back for me though so when i put mine in I set them about an inch farther forward than most people have them. turns out i must have just been retarded lol.

I think i actually could have adjusted them another 1/2" back or so but my adjustment plate runs into the back of the inserts. i guess I just glassed my inserts in too far forward. oh well. 1/2" isnt bad. As it is now my heels start to ride up the back wedge a bit so i think they are good enough.

Here is a list of total build price for anyone else looking to do something similar (I tried to save all receipts). A lot of expenses were wasted because I either over estimated what i needed, or because i messed up certain processes and had to redo them. For my sake I wanted to add up everything, needed or not, and I thought it might still be helpful to others thinking about doing a similar build so they can judge what they may/may not need. Its not a very organized list. I did break it down into two sections: parts and materials needed and then tools and supplies needed. I personally far underestimated what the total cost would be. Luckily my wife has been patient with me on that aspect....Not so much when it comes to the time I spent. So here it is:

Parts and Materials list:
18.44 - 2 packs of longer m8 screws for footholds mcmastercarr
39.65 - freeride innovations limit strap
29.12 - blowsion hood strap
46.49 - two part expanding foam
5.92 - carb base gasket
390.54 - Rickter Adjustable footholds
6.39 - bilge pump hose
226.00 - 1 sheet 26mm plush pad & 2 sheets of two tone cut hydroturf.
24.00 - 1 sheet of 9mm underpad since I didnt use the 26mm underpad
57.80 - ADA billet bow eye, billet water bypass 90 degree, and billet straight bilge fitting.
7.50 - Yamaha fuel filter
140.00 - @OCD Solutions bilge switch and tidy harness
79.00 - etx-12 battery
222.70 - @JetManiac order for Rule 500gph bilge, engine shims, watcon hood seal, hull drains, matching versiplug, Mikuni 61x carb rebuild kit
37.90 - replacement versiplug that I messed up when it got filled with expanding foam....
25.99 - Lexan sheet used as spacer between footholds and outside of gunwhale
15.00 - @jeremy chambon Registration number decals
15.00 - @jeremy chambon Registration number decals again because i sent him the wrong file the first time....
248.56 - US composites
0.00 - single stage paint given to me (Thanks @pb4ugo2bed )
37.39 - hardener for single stage paint
0.00 - clear coat given to me (Thanks @CBiDrive )
58.61 - primer
58.61 - More primer because I messed up the first time....
21.92 - pink foam board
4.40 - 8 rubber washers to use under Rickter foothold finish washers
Parts list Total: $1816.93

Supplies and tools needed:
76.31 - cold fusion alignment tool
118.10- Kobalt spray gun
215.52 - 20 gallon husky air compressor
3.58 - 2" hose clamps
9.20 - Lacquer Thinner 1 qt
4.97 - scotch tape
3.97 - 3m sandpaper pack
7.48 - 1 qt acetone
3.97 - masking paper roll
17.98 - dremel fiberlass cutoff wheel
6.47 - blue loctite
6.47 - marine 520o sealant
4.57 - marine silicon
9.75 - brushes
9.49 - 1" holesaw with arbor
4.49 - hole saw pilot drill
14.99 - rivet gun with assortment of rivets
5.99 - square molding to use as dowels while laying turf
2.79 - 3/16 rivets
5.99 - xacto blades
27.07 - heat gun
3.99 - # 7 drill bit to use with 1/4x20 tap to mount hood straps
4.99 - 1/4x20 tap for mounting hood straps.
I think taxes at the hardware stuff for this was roughly another 40 bucks so lets throw that in.
Tools and supplies total: $616.91

Original ski purchase price: $550

Grand total cost into the ski: 2983.84

Top Bottom