Flat Water Barrel Roll

Polish jet pilot

4aces4aces4aces4aces4aces
I feel like crap - Fearless does them all day on a stock motor... Ok I need to assemble the ski and hit the water. Or bust! Great advice everybody, especially the little things that you all mention... I will write all these on piece of paper and "dry" practice them..

This video shows the proper motion, as far as I know. It helped me understand the left to right hop before the roll.

YouTube - JETSKI FREESTYLE - BARREL ROLL

Is there anyone on this site that could dub over him and translate in english what he is saying.:thinking: This would help out a bit more. We can all get so much from visual's and get the basics. But maybe we could get a bit more if we could understand him.:fingersx:

freestylegeek

waiting...
Setup wakes are a big part.. thing happen a lot quicker than you'd expect so you do have to be on the ball and ready to go for it.. A couple of tips from Derrick K at the Ski Clinic that helped me
1) install a quicksteer like the Blowsion twister nozzle to give you ultimate quick throw, it makes the ski want to turn upside down real quick.
2) when you approach the setup wake ride a little to the left then jump into the wake pre-trough with to the right to get full ride down then up the wake and to get the water buoancy to push you up and out of the water
3) when riding up the wake crank the bars to the left hard, pin the throttle, jump forward and crank yourself to the left (try to bend yourself into a side ways U shape) keep the head looking to the right to spot your landing.. push down on the bars to the left and pull up on the right side to speed up the rotation. try to keep as forward as possible on the ski..
4) in the air try to suck your legs to your chest and stick your head on the front of the chin pad.. spot your landing and try and ride it out.. your setup wake amplitude will determine how much time and speed you need to get all the rotation..
5) a little bit of power doesnt hurt.. get a pipe!

The first pic was real close to a P2P but the second I didnt tuck and my face did all the work in landing the ski

Staying tucked is one of the biggest things. You'll change the ski's attitude if you "pull up" on the tray (you'll actually be pulling yourself toward the boat). You want your head and the nose of the ski to be the same height off the water. I need to figure out how to do slow motion and overdub so I can explain each step through this video, but hopefully you can see how important posture is.

Last edited by a moderator:

GIL

Power In The Hands Of Few
Staying tucked is one of the biggest things. You'll change the ski's attitude if you "pull up" on the tray (you'll actually be pulling yourself toward the boat). You want your head and the nose of the ski to be the same height off the water. I need to figure out how to do slow motion and overdub so I can explain each step through this video, but hopefully you can see how important posture is.

YouTube - barrel roll # 1

Yeah, my posture is the right side of my helmet eating my left bondrail just above the frt exhaust outlet. I am now on helmet#6 and I have had to fix my bondrail where I wore my Bell Moto 8 MX helmet and that helmet is harder than the hull. LOL It looks soooooooooooo dam easy in the vids-yet is soooooooooooo dam hard for me to calm down and do. I am gonna cheat tonight and suck down 3 cold beers and then try it. Seein that I don't drink-that should loosen me up ALOT and help me RELAX and just ROLL the dam thing already!!! LOL My problem is my brain-I fight myself every inch of the way. ARGH(and the dump part of that is-I thought u had to have a brain to fight with your brain)LOL

Yeah, my posture is the right side of my helmet eating my left bondrail just above the frt exhaust outlet. I am now on helmet#6 and I have had to fix my bondrail where I wore my Bell Moto 8 MX helmet and that helmet is harder than the hull. LOL It looks soooooooooooo dam easy in the vids-yet is soooooooooooo dam hard for me to calm down and do. I am gonna cheat tonight and suck down 3 cold beers and then try it. Seein that I don't drink-that should loosen me up ALOT and help me RELAX and just ROLL the dam thing already!!! LOL My problem is my brain-I fight myself every inch of the way. ARGH(and the dump part of that is-I thought u had to have a brain to fight with your brain)LOL

I can relate with everything you just said. I roll or attempt to roll to the left. but I can't stop leaning/ or pushing my body to the right of the ski. Involuntary action? who knows!!!

GIL

I can relate with everything you just said. I roll or attempt to roll to the left. but I can't stop leaning/ or pushing my body to the right of the ski. Involuntary action? who knows!!!

My problem is-I throw decent stabs to the left-when I try to roll-my body is totally off the left side of the ski-but my upper body is to high and hits the water and stops the rotation. If I could make myself stay tucked, I think it would come on around. As the ski gets higher in the air-I think I am standing up in the tray like I am gonna stab and thats all she wrote. My head hits the left frt bondrail, my left leg nails the left side of the bars, and finally my azz hits the left gunwhale. It's a pretty awesome crash that leaves some really nasty bruises EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!

My problem is-I throw decent stabs to the left-when I try to roll-my body is totally off the left side of the ski-but my upper body is to high and hits the water and stops the rotation. If I could make myself stay tucked, I think it would come on around. As the ski gets higher in the air-I think I am standing up in the tray like I am gonna stab and thats all she wrote. My head hits the left frt bondrail, my left leg nails the left side of the bars, and finally my azz hits the left gunwhale. It's a pretty awesome crash that leaves some really nasty bruises EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!

Oh yeah!! My tailbone still hurts today, from hitting the gunwhale Sunday Afternoon. But like you said, a spectacular crash. I also forget to stay tucked always end up opening up. I also think I may put a poll saver on as well I was a bit worried once or twice about it last weekend.

GIL

Oh yeah!! My tailbone still hurts today, from hitting the gunwhale Sunday Afternoon. But like you said, a spectacular crash. I also forget to stay tucked always end up opening up. I also think I may put a poll saver on as well I was a bit worried once or twice about it last weekend.

Iv'e got a pole rope on and use a short pole and steering-I am seriously thinking about taking most of the slack out of the pole rope so that I CANNOT raise the dam pole during rotation. I think that might help me stay tucked/break me of standing up during rotation. If the pole will only come 6" off of the hood, then u have to stay tucked, right?LOL

GIL

Freestylegeek-------------I found a vid with the title 'backflip attempt,almost there'. What engine u runnin with that attempt and is that a oem hull? You were really close!

BTW-U SUCK! u make rollin look waaaaaaaay toooooooooo easy. LOL

Midlake Crisis

Site Supporter
Tyvm

. . . I nailed my head so extremely hard on my ski. THANK GOD I've got a strong hull and was WEARING A HELMET. I think it seriously saved my life. I probably would have been knocked out in the water for sure. :splatt:
Glad I read this before trying it.
I got half way around a couple of times today but I took one blow to the helmet that most likely would have resulted in stitches and a concussion without the helmet.
After today I do believe I will be able to do it eventually though, thanks mostly to this thread! Just need some nice clean rollers coming in and a clear head to remember all the elements of the technique.

Kirv

torque is good
I learned nose stabs first, then spun harder, and pulled the ski "in" towards my butt with the footholds to get all the way around. if you're used to a nose stab, a half barrel roll is almost the same thing, no big deal to come up short. snaps the head back a bit, but you'll build up those neck muscles after a weekend.

I do it off my own setup wake.

I have a stock 701 engine.
But I have wamiltons bars and quicksteer turnplate system,
Wamiltons rideplate,intake grate,stubbie cone,and a 12/17 skat impellor.

But I can also Do it on my brothers bone stock superjet.

I also am 5'8" , 145lbs.

GIL

I have beeat the lake for the last 3 hours, drank 1 M U and no go, drank a 2nd M U and started committing a lil more, drank a 3rd M U and decided I need to tie a rope around my nut sack and the other end to the tray!!! This way I will stay tucked!!! I'll report back to let u know how this works.

Top Bottom