Flat Water Barrel Roll

freestylegeek

waiting...
Freestylegeek-------------I found a vid with the title 'backflip attempt,almost there'. What engine u runnin with that attempt and is that a oem hull? You were really close!

BTW-U SUCK! u make rollin look waaaaaaaay toooooooooo easy. LOL

Engine: Lamey 793 (8mm crank, 81mm bore) non PV, Xscream 46's, MSD single coil total loss.
Hull: shortened (-2.5") SN conversion with lb XFT top deck.
That backflip attempt video was when I had 23lbs of wet foam in there. I'm sealing things back up after replacing it all with polystyrene (about 2 lbs worth). I'm hoping that (and a technique change) will get me nosing them in.

The rolls look easy because they are! When you get the right technique, there's no longer any effort involved. :)

GIL

Power In The Hands Of Few
Engine: Lamey 793 (8mm crank, 81mm bore) non PV, Xscream 46's, MSD single coil total loss.
Hull: shortened (-2.5") SN conversion with lb XFT top deck.
That backflip attempt video was when I had 23lbs of wet foam in there. I'm sealing things back up after replacing it all with polystyrene (about 2 lbs worth). I'm hoping that (and a technique change) will get me nosing them in.

The rolls look easy because they are! When you get the right technique, there's no longer any effort involved. :)

U suck!!! JK-good job-u make it look soooooooooooo dam easy!!!

freestylegeek

waiting...
... just try inverted stabs first and a couple of pancakes first.

VERY important!
Whenever my rolls get sloppy, I have to go back and do some big, floaty inverted stabs (pole up and knees locked). They really help you get your wave timing. Once you get that back, you can put the pole on the hood and pull the tray up and spin that puppy!

Alright, I tried a couple yesterday but am having some problems.

My main problem is that halfway through the roll, I start to go into a stab motion and end up just doing an inverted stab, shooting a big fountain of water and subbing.

I'm being told that I'm starting my rotation a little late, once I already have my height so I know I have to work on that.

Question is, where are your poles throughout the process? Should my poll be one the hood the entire time even during my pre-hop. It seems like I spin on more of an axis when my pole is right down on the hood but then I can't take full advantage of my pre-hop. Should I have it a good foot above the hood during the pre-hop then put it on the hood as I leave my set-up wake?

Also, where the hell should my head be? I just read that I should look over my right shoulder when rolling left??? That can't be right?

I also feel like I should huck it with my shoulders but was trying not too because people say then you just do awkward stabs. What part of you're body controlls the rotation? Does anybody have a picture sequence or something that can show me what my body and should be doing and where my pole should be?

I want to try a couple more on wednesday but would like to actually make some improvement

Last edited:

Midlake Crisis

Site Supporter
Lie

Just do it.
It doesn't hurt (much).

This is a lie.

I can't do 'em yet but I am confident in two things:
1) Wear a helmet (knew that one already)
2) DON'T LET GO (learned that one today!)
I made some improvements but got separated from the ski a couple of times and slammed my right arm into the side of the ski on landing. I'll wait for the bruises to ripen and maybe post in the carnage section . . .

Kirv

torque is good
Question is, where are your poles throughout the process? Should my poll be one the hood the entire time even during my pre-hop. It seems like I spin on more of an axis when my pole is right down on the hood but then I can't take full advantage of my pre-hop. Should I have it a good foot above the hood during the pre-hop then put it on the hood as I leave my set-up wake?

1) take off with a semi-upright stance. you know, a balanced athletic stance to get the most out of the hop off the setup wake.

2) once airborne, try to tighten your body up into a ball by pulling the ski to your butt using the footholds, and crouching down to get the pole close to the hood. I like to push it over with my shoulders on takeoff to get the ski rotating too.

of course you need to full throttle up the wake and the steering to the lock on takeoff.

pulling into a ball speeds up the spin to get you around. just like when you see a figure skater pull in her arms and legs and she speeds up the spin like a top.

if you take off rolled up in a little ball, then you have nothing to pull in to speed up the rotation, so start the roll open like a nose stab, then quickly and smoothly pull everything in as you're leaving the water to speed up the rotation.

they are much easier to learn off of small 2 or 3 footers in the ocean, then off of boat wakes (never within 100 yards unless it's your friend's boat, we don't want to piss off the boaters), then off of your own setup wake.

hope you get it down, it's a good feeling to nail a clean roll.

onlyFX-1

Jace Forest...BRAP!
1) take off with a semi-upright stance. you know, a balanced athletic stance to get the most out of the hop off the setup wake.

2) once airborne, try to tighten your body up into a ball by pulling the ski to your butt using the footholds, and crouching down to get the pole close to the hood. I like to push it over with my shoulders on takeoff to get the ski rotating too.

of course you need to full throttle up the wake and the steering to the lock on takeoff.

pulling into a ball speeds up the spin to get you around. just like when you see a figure skater pull in her arms and legs and she speeds up the spin like a top.

if you take off rolled up in a little ball, then you have nothing to pull in to speed up the rotation, so start the roll open like a nose stab, then quickly and smoothly pull everything in as you're leaving the water to speed up the rotation.

they are much easier to learn off of small 2 or 3 footers in the ocean, then off of boat wakes (never within 100 yards unless it's your friend's boat, we don't want to piss off the boaters), then off of your own setup wake.

hope you get it down, it's a good feeling to nail a clean roll.

Well said

felix5oh

Carajo,gringos apestosos
are you guys twisting your body?

i just keep landing inverted or on my face, i know its got the power but i think my speed is to slow

Midlake Crisis

Site Supporter
These things are going to kill me. I had a couple upside down landings which are fine, making progress, then I did my stupid panic bail thing again. This time I slammed my wrist on the hood and immediately got it guillotined by the handpole. I am typing this with six fingers and am probably going for x-rays tomorrow. . . .
It is really frustrating not to overcome the instinct to bail - I have hurt myself more by far doing that than all other maneuvers combined. KEEP YOUR HANDS AND FEET INSIDE THE RIDE AT ALL TIMES!
Oh yeah, and my rt. calf is swelling up and cramping so hard I am walking like Tiny Tim.
I think I am out for a week or two. . .
Sure was fun though!!

i tried these about 10 x yesterday and i felt like i got hit by a truck....(might be because i drank hevily last night too lol) but my neck is soooo stiff

I have to work on my setup wakes those vids helped to visualize the process

i KNOW im not getting low enough, i would get 1/2 way around and then my head would hit the water and ripp me off my ski.

i just tried the throttle on a 45* angle well see how that works next time.

also i tried the rope on the ski so i wont pick the pole up, ill tell you how it works when i go last.

Justin

Polish jet pilot

4aces4aces4aces4aces4aces
I learned through the tips on the X here and mostly by myself out on the Lake for a week while I rode my STOCK 04 for the first time.
My suggestions:

1. Work your setup wake out so you hit it from the side not head on. Usually in that case you will plow into the wave and get minimal height.

I think if you do not do what Mark says in #1 the rest is futile.... head on is no go for stock/ slightly modded skis...

maybe somebody could draw a wake setup and how you should approach - generaly everybody knows it but......

Midlake Crisis

Site Supporter
Trying the ol' BR again today for the first time since x-rays in July. . . not getting much farther than 180* rotation but at least I am forcing myself not to let go, and no injuries today which is progress. . .I think I need a pipe.

Polish jet pilot

4aces4aces4aces4aces4aces
cool! I am still far away from a BR, maybe because I am worried about my eardrums - need to get that helmet. What about that drawing of approach to the wake? I know different folks set them wakes differently...

Top Bottom