Super Jet Found an Superjet - Done!

icecoled007

Captain of this ship
5/1 - Done

The month of April - Did tons of crap

3/28 - Post #48 - ITS ALIVE!!!!! now what?

3/28 - post #43, got it tunring over, got new switch, motor has crap in it.

Hello all,

Just got back from my latest craigslist find. A 93 SN Superjet. I was waaaay up in the mountains, kind of a bummer drive.

Anyways, the lady I bought it from said it was her ex-boyfriends. He left it at her house. She didnt know anything about it but said "sometime he would go out and ride and have to swim with it back in"

When I go there the ski was sitting outside. She said its only been sitting out since he moved. But the hood looks rough like its sun beat and missing some paint. The hull is in good shape, nothing out of the ordinary. It has a PJs intake grate and a stainless impeller (unknown what kind). When I opened up I found a stock motor (bummer, didnt see any pictures before hand on what it looked like). One of the spark plug boots were missing and there was a can of starter fluid in it. Oh great I thought, but for the price I couldn't complain.

I removed the spark plugs and the rear plug looked bad. Has white/green stuff on it. Both the plugs were corroded. The front plug was all black ad did not look spaced right at all. I grabbed the driveshaft and was able to turn the motor over. At first it was a little hard to turn over but then it seemed to spin pretty easily (just like my other skis). I noticed the flywheel cover has some sort of glue in place. Someone must of removed the flywheel cover at one time. Is there usually a gasket here?

I have never bought a ski in this shape before. Whats a good place to start? What are some things I should check before dumping fresh gas and spark plugs? Should I investigate why the flywheel cover was off?

2012-03-23_12-48-20_154.jpg

2012-03-23_16-08-09_469.jpg

2012-03-23_16-10-27_288.jpg

2012-03-23_16-10-31_198.jpg

2012-03-23_17-00-26_253.jpg

2012-03-23_17-00-33_496.jpg

2012-03-23_17-00-47_880.jpg

2012-03-23_17-01-20_288.jpg

2012-03-23_17-01-59_317.jpg

Last edited:

icecoled007

Captain of this ship
that poor square.
looking at those plugs, is scary. i'd say get a new head gasket and pull the head to see what's up with the motor.

good luck.

I was a little scared by those plugs too.... looks like someone might of been trying to start it on starter fluid? What causes the plugs to look like that?

Edit: shouldent say plugs...just "plug". THe other one looks fine.

Yeah that's only a 650, not really desirable. If it were my engine I would buy a complete gasket kit for the engine and take apart everything for a full inspection. Yes there should be a gasket behind the flywheel cover. I'd bet it wasn't cared for very well so I would do a once through of every bit of it.

icecoled007

Captain of this ship
Here is the other plug.....

Hummm, wonder if I can just do something try try and turn it over now? I havent hit the start button yet, but dont really want to spend tons of money on a complete overhaul of a 650 motor. Worst comes to worst more likely I will just part it out.

Here is a picture of the other plug and some other stuff.

2012-03-23_17-46-50_551.jpg

2012-03-23_17-47-50_900.jpg

2012-03-23_17-48-12_855.jpg

2012-03-23_17-46-37_614.jpg

2012-03-23_17-45-44_847.jpg

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
You should be able to get that running in twenty minutes. Clean the carb and gas tank. Cut back the plug wires and put new boots on. Add fresh pre mix and run it till it goes boom.

the glue on the flywheel cover is gasket maker by the looks of it. There should be a real gasket there. Can we ask how good a deal it was?

Here is the other plug.....

Hummm, wonder if I can just do something try try and turn it over now? I havent hit the start button yet, but dont really want to spend tons of money on a complete overhaul of a 650 motor. Worst comes to worst more likely I will just part it out.

Here is a picture of the other plug and some other stuff.

2012-03-23_17-46-50_551.jpg

2012-03-23_17-47-50_900.jpg

2012-03-23_17-48-12_855.jpg

2012-03-23_17-46-37_614.jpg

2012-03-23_17-45-44_847.jpg

I am sorry could you please move that ugly jet ski it is blocking the view. You can leave the stand its purty/

All the photos are great detail.. it is a real nice change to have someone here asking for help that ACTUALLY posts good quality photos of the problems at hand...

anyways, as said above.. throw some oil down those cylinders, let it sit for a bit, turn over by hand a few times,
then take old gas out, new gas in, PREMIXED, clean up the carb, and connect up a new battery, and press start... see what happens...

How good of a deal was it!!! lol

icecoled007

Captain of this ship
Look at that wiring job. Looks unsafe.

Id do a full regasket or else its going to probably be a un reliable turd.

also that orange stuff is high temp permatex.

Thats a half a$$ bilge wiring job

Also I noticed the nipples on the spark plugs were loose (they werent solid caps). Its a long shot, but that could contribute to why hey boyfriend was having trouble

Last edited:

icecoled007

Captain of this ship
All the photos are great detail.. it is a real nice change to have someone here asking for help that ACTUALLY posts good quality photos of the problems at hand...

anyways, as said above.. throw some oil down those cylinders, let it sit for a bit, turn over by hand a few times,
then take old gas out, new gas in, PREMIXED, clean up the carb, and connect up a new battery, and press start... see what happens...

How good of a deal was it!!! lol

When you say clean up the carb... like put a rebuild kit in it or just take it apart to see if the gas ate everything away?

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
You can just clean the carb. You will need to cut back those plug wires an inch or so for sure though. My bet is thats why it ran like crap for the last owner. Those NGK boots will thread right back onto those wires too. I couldnt see the pics big enough on my phone before.

Considering how much you are probably into the boat for, I would run that little 650 till it pukes.

so how much did you get it for? lol

piratelife

Frandsen works
You can just clean the carb. You will need to cut back those plug wires an inch or so for sure though. My bet is thats why it ran like crap for the last owner. Those NGK boots will thread right back onto those wires too. I couldnt see the pics big enough on my phone before.

Considering how much you are probably into the boat for, I would run that little 650 till it pukes.

so how much did you get it for? lol

Do what bruceski said unless you are looking for more power..My friend bought a sn a few years ago that was locked up. He poured two stroke oil in the cylinders overnight and it broke loose the next day and he is still riding it...Both his plugs looked rusted also..But i would invest in a flywheel cover gasket and inspect the flywheel area..you dont want to loose a rusty bendix and ruin your stator and bendix..

Top Bottom