Frankenstein Motor Project

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Funny you mention that. Since I got a single T manifold and some Boyesen Rad valves floating around, I am contemplating switching cases to ported T's and observing the differences.

romack991

homebrewed
Funny you mention that. Since I got a single T manifold and some Boyesen Rad valves floating around, I am contemplating switching cases to ported T's and observing the differences.

yeah, i thought about doing the back to back but its hard on the seals/gaskets.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
It hits awesome! I can't wait to ride it when it's actually tuned.

I ran it Sat and thought it was a bit too rich. So, I dropped the pilot from 115 to 112.5. Sunday it ran okay, but had a hesitation on the bottom. I thought the popoff pressure was too high.
But when I started digging for carb parts today I ran across the sticker that came with the carb. Turns out that wasn't a 115 pilot, but a 150!!! pilot.
I am extremely impressed by how well that carb ran on either side of the spectrum. Damn, 150 to 112.5 and both were very rideable.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
do it. sell me the ported X's. :cool2:

:fingersx:

All in the name of brapology.

Trust me, you don't want those X cases. They're junk.
On top of being junk, they came from a certain "gentleman" - and I do use that term loosely - with a certain yellow roundnose.

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
Matt, does it make sense my 650 runs a 170 main? It runs right and the plug color is right on. 1-1/4 to 1.5 turns out.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Matt, does it make sense my 650 runs a 170 main? It runs right and the plug color is right on. 1-1/4 to 1.5 turns out.

If it runs good it's right.:smile:

It's pointless to compare jetting numbers on different carbs. It's all about air speed and pressure differential through the carb.

tom21

havin fun
It hits awesome! I can't wait to ride it when it's actually tuned.

I ran it Sat and thought it was a bit too rich. So, I dropped the pilot from 115 to 112.5. Sunday it ran okay, but had a hesitation on the bottom. I thought the popoff pressure was too high.
But when I started digging for carb parts today I ran across the sticker that came with the carb. Turns out that wasn't a 115 pilot, but a 150!!! pilot.
I am extremely impressed by how well that carb ran on either side of the spectrum. Damn, 150 to 112.5 and both were very rideable.

so did you manage to tune out the hesitation? Just about to do the same thing and want to know if there is anything to do different now that it is all said and done? thanks.

Phill

v Check out Little Matt_E
I think he got it worked out...not sure what he did though.....he is out of town this weekend and wont be back to a computer till monday....

Matt_E

Site Supporter
so did you manage to tune out the hesitation? Just about to do the same thing and want to know if there is anything to do different now that it is all said and done? thanks.

Yes - got rid of the hesitation.
I had the carb tuned to 117.5 pilot, 132.5 main, 20ish popoff.
Ran awesome.

Honestly, the T cyl does hit noticably later than an X cyl. However, running (relatively) high compression and a lightened flywheel compensates for that a bit.
Hits very nice. Solid motor, I am happy with it.
I sold the Riva carb and am going to put a 48 Full Spec on it.

In the middle of this build now...
Got my x cases BB clearanced, mostly high flowed.
Cyl clean up next. Then off to machine shop for 85mm bore :)
Cant decide whose pistons I want to use yet.. wsm, pro-x, SBT..
I'll be using a pro-tec black pipe, head, Wet jet wpp reed stuffer intake, and 46 carb from my 701.
Thinkin about an Epic cdi to season to ign curve a bit as well.
Spinning an 08 SJ prop now I like it :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom