FreeForm Factory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
Looks like an engineer took the time to do things the analytical way rather than slightly modifying different features trial and erroring and going through tons of different prototypes. I like the fluid dynamics analysis ;)
CAD software is a beautiful thing..
I'm impressed by the concept and who knows, maybe it could be a huge step forward for standups. It's innovative, and I'm anxious to see if it stands up to its claims.

I look forward to seeing how this hull performs and holds up to abuse. I have to say... the presentation for the hull is great. Complete specs/ expectations of what the hull can do, pictures and everything. Website is awesome and hope other builders follow.

Last edited:

DAG

Yes, my balls tickled from that landing
Looks like an engineer took the time to do things the analytical way rather than slightly modifying different features trial and erroring and going through tons of different prototypes. I like the fluid dynamics analysis ;)
CAD software is a beautiful thing..
I'm impressed by the concept and who knows, maybe it could be a huge step forward for standups. It's innovative, and I'm anxious to see if it stands up to its claims.
What does the CFD testing tell us? I don't think it's a race hull, does drag help or hurt how a freestyle ski should preform?

air blair

you are the reason
This is soo cool, marketing is awesome. Recreational hull. But at 75lbs is a questionable weight. Seems light for surf. Dimensionally it is similar in characteristics of the xfs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
What does the CFD testing tell us? I don't think it's a race hull, does drag help or hurt how a freestyle ski should preform?
I think the way water flows under a hull makes a bit difference in a freestyle hull as well. After all, the way water hits a rockered nose creates a lifting effect. Using CFD testing most likely helps find that sweet spot, hence maybe the reason there's rocker in the middle of the hull as well. The less drag and more of a lifting/lighter effect would benefit a freestyle ski IMO, especially for combos. You land a flip, and the bottom deck design could influence how flickable your ski is on the next combo. Obviously this would depend on the angle of the ski, but if it was designed solely for freestyle, there could be an industry standard since it seems like pros are able to land their tricks constantly at the same angle each time. Finding that sweet spot could help. I wonder if the three face rocker would influence rolls, since you endup hitting the wake at an angle and such.
This freeform ski looks more like a rec hull though, so high speed runs might have been considered in their testing to create an all around hull.
But that's my .02 for a freestyle hull. I think the less drag, the better. If your design causes a lifting effect, a lightweight material combined with a big power plant could get you a decent amount of altitude every trick and help with more combos.

Edit: I haven't taken a fluid dynamics class yet, so I don't know any true specifics. Maybe freeform or an expert can chime in. This is just my theory.

Last edited:

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
That hood/engine compartment opening though.....and why can't even people in the industry call a chine a chine and not a chime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom