FX-1 build

Here's the next step in the scheme. Franky is staying black and white just like he was in the 1930s flick and the surrounding area is being done in a goul green foggy flow.......

And no, I'm not doing the airbrush work. I only wish I had the mad skills to do this!

Attachments

• DSCN0067.jpg
    DSCN0067.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCN0069.jpg
    DSCN0069.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCN0070.jpg
    DSCN0070.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
I'm not used to having foot holds and so far I haven't found myself using them to "lock in", but I am really enjoying the added tray area. I'm sure I'll come around to locking my feet into the wells over time. I think they'll work great for my style 'cause I realy didn't want something that changed my style of riding. I'm all over the tray when I ride and I couldn't see having to put my feet side by side at the rear of the ski, I don't know how people do that. I also haven't ridden with them turfed yet, so they don't offer much grip yet.......I think I'm going to really like them though!

yup......both sides will be roughly the same. Franky is done on both sides, now the smoke/skulls need to be done on the other side. Then the top of the ski (handle pole, top of hood, etc..) will be done in black. Bottom is already shot in black from the rails down.

Lime time!

Ok, Here's the next step in the progress. The second side was completed and both sides were then treated to some House of Kolors lime pearl. Next comes the black base coat on the skis center section and pole, then a couple coats of clear. I can't wait to see this thing with the black and clear completed. The clear should really give it some depth.

Pictures really don't so it justice, but............

Attachments

• DSCN0076.jpg
    DSCN0076.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCN0075.jpg
    DSCN0075.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN0073.jpg
    DSCN0073.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 95

joe b

depth tester
You suck!!!! :damnit: :tool: :nutkick: :hitwithrock: :buttkick: :slap: :moon: :angryfire:

:joke: I'm only jealous cuz you finish what you start:You_Rock_Emoticon:

just joe

Site Supporter
Awesome tip about using the weatherstrip to form a turf edge. Was just pondering how I was going to turf mine.

Really looks incredible... and inspiring. Thanks.

Ok.....got the black and clear coats done and started turfing. I'm hoping to get it in the water this weekend with a stcok motor for now and then add a "Frankenstein" big bore motor in a week or two.

Here's a couple update pics:

Attachments

• DSCN0080.jpg
    DSCN0080.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCN0079.jpg
    DSCN0079.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 168
Y

yamaslut

lovin this build.... :arms: :arms: :arms: :arms: :arms:

I widened my tray so my footholds actually touch the outside of my gunwhales... (REV holds) I noticed imidiately that it helped big time w/ surf manuvers like hard cutbacks... just more room for better stability... I really can't say enough about the added tray space... It's a must do mod for me from now on...

btw - I have 21" of space in my tray from side to side... the holds extend about 20" forward of rear bond line
05-02-07_1943.jpg

Franky got wet!!!

Got the turf done and put it all together today with enough time left for a quick blast. It was a great first splash except for a ignition problem of some sort......kept breaking up from mid to top. Hopefully just something stupid??

One thing I didn't like was the Blowsion lowered pole bracket. I didn't perceive any benefit and it doesn't allow the pole to go all the way down, which I really don't like. It will be hitting evil-bay soon!!

Next comes a motor more fitting of "Franky"!!

Attachments

• DSCN0081.jpg
    DSCN0081.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCN0082.jpg
    DSCN0082.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 227
Man that is nice. Is that a Series 1 Bridgeport I see in the background? And an old Tornado Lathe? I am just finishing building my new garage. I can't wait to set it up. I got a good welder for now, but want to buy a bridgeport when it is finished.

Good eye, yup it's an old Bridgeport. The lathe is a 1920's vintage Le Blonde originally driven by leather belt and then converted to electric.....real vintage!

Doug......The tubbies are great! They're definitely worth the effort.

Final pics...........I swapped out the lowered bracket for a standard height billet bracket. I had to modify the bracket to handle the FX hood latch. To do this I cut the latch piece off an old stock bracket and milled it true. Then I milled out a recess in the billet bracket to mount the latch piece flush. This has to be done to maintain the correct positioning for the latch pin. Then I just drilled and tapped two mounting holes and bolted it up....works great!! Just thought I'd share that for any other FX peeps who want to run a billet bracket.

Also took the stupid plastic pole pad and made a fiberglass replacement and turfed it. Project complete other than playing with different motors. Lasr week I took the stock 701 61X and ported it using the sport port freestyle template, milled the head (175 psi) and lightened/balanced the flywheel. It rips pretty good and now I'm changing out the carb for a 46mm wetjet unit.

Next will come the 61X flat top big bore beast!

Attachments

• DSCN0085.jpg
    DSCN0085.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCN0083.jpg
    DSCN0083.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCN0084.jpg
    DSCN0084.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 190
  • DSCN0086.jpg
    DSCN0086.jpg