Gas

I think its called throw the american consumer under the bus. I understand about raising prices to get the american public to act, but there has to be a cut-off point. You cant destroy the economy and a certain way of life to get change. You have to do it slowly. $1.50 a gallon hick from last year so far and its still climbing is not doing it slowly. Especially with the fragile state of the economy as it is.

Boris

The Good Old Days
holy shoebox on ball bearings

I call them X-boxes.

We have one at work for paper work runs and every time I drive that thing I feel like I'm playing a video game.
The windshield is way forward and vertical that it looks like a big screen TV.

Cool car for the city traffic with a bunch of room inside.

Bushs idea of an alternative fuel source to replace oil is Ethanol. Still requires oil to produce and oil to blend into it. All that money and investment and rules requiring so much ethanol production by a certain date for what? Its not better for the environment, you get less MPG with the stuff, it consumes alot of oil and water to produce, its causing food shortages and higher food prices.

Mark44

Katie's Boss
I don't believe we have acted quite enough yet so we have not reached the cut off point yet.

I look at it like taking off a band aid one BIG pull right off...... Its going to hurt but not as long as doing it slowly. IMO

Mark44

Mark44

Katie's Boss
i

Bushs idea of an alternative fuel source to replace oil is Ethanol. Still requires oil to produce and oil to blend into it. All that money and investment and rules requiring so much ethanol production by a certain date for what? Its not better for the environment, you get less MPG with the stuff, it consumes alot of oil and water to produce, its causing food shortages and higher food prices.

I don't believe ethanol is the answer same crap we have now.

Mark44

Mark44

Katie's Boss
oo

I call them X-boxes.

We have one at work for paper work runs and every time I drive that thing I feel like I'm playing a video game.

I have one as a daily driver, great car.

mark44

Boris

The Good Old Days
Borderguy, the American consumer has had how many years to get ready for the fact that fuel costs will go up ?
What year was the first crisis ?

While the world decided to make cars more economical SUV and truck sales went through the roof. Just look at the H2 Hummer and the idiots driving those things, you think they are capable of learning to conserve without a kick to the mommy and daddy parts ??

ok, i can agree with that theory as long as theres measures in place to correct the problem. If you pull that band aid off and you start bleeding again, you put another one on. You drive gas prices up, then what? What do we have in the meantime while the years go by that they create and develop safe alternatives?

Mark44

Katie's Boss
u

ok, i can agree with that theory as long as theres measures in place to correct the problem. If you pull that band aid off and you start bleeding again, you put another one on. You drive gas prices up, then what? What do we have in the meantime while the years go by that they create and develop safe alternatives?

Thats just it you suffer but at least something is being done now.

Mark44

i dont know how to do that quote thingy yet. lol
But as far as how long we have had. Yes, we are talking since the 70's. However, i have to blame the government for not tightening standards sooner and not giving companies very good incentives for investing in alternative fuels. Asking the oil companies to invest in researching alternative fuels is like asking a burgular to lock up when he leaves your house.

WET BOX

STL Crew
I call them X-boxes.

I call it WETBOX :laugh2:

My wife hates it when I call it that. haha!

WET BOX

STL Crew
True,
but We have 8 more months of Bush before anyone can even start working on alternatives and funding them. Any bill that comes across his desk that actually has any balls will get vetoed or sit there.

Oh yeah.... Hillary or Barack will get it straightened out.

If you believe that then I have some square wheels I want to sell you. Keep yours eyes open in the classified section.

The Kennedys have stronger ties to big oil than Bush and similar to Cheneys ties. And we all know how Kennedys go is how the dems go. Both political parties are somewhat shady, so I want to rely on the free market to set things straight. The gov't should really stay out of it... including subsidizing ethanol (dems and Reps by the way).

Remember, "excess profits breed ruinous competition" translation... if a business is gouging, someone else will do it better/cheaper, in a free market.

Later peeps,

Remember, "excess profits breed ruinous competition" translation... if a business is gouging, someone else will do it better/cheaper, in a free market.

true, however, all the oil companies are pretty much in bed with each other anyways. I remember when the no name discount gas stations started up, their prices were way better than the big name brands. Now they are like 2 cents cheaper.

Top Bottom