Gas

onesojourner

I use a thumb throttle.
an electric car? Most electricity in the US comes from coal and oil.

we may get most of our electricity from coal and oil but that does not mean we have to. you can get electricity from a lot of different sources.

Electric Vehicles are energy independent; many different sources of energy can be used. Therefore,
the Electric Vehicle is inherently fuel flexible so that any source of electricity can be used and many
new sources will be developed in the coming decade.

Last edited:

Peter123

C-Note
My big fear is the government going after the oil companies which will make me pay more for gas and probably wait in line to do so.

If the government really wants to help the American consumer at the oil pump (and everywhere else), they need to reduce spending and reduce the handouts to other countries. They need to take the steps to stop the collapse of the dollar.

The problem isn't the oil companies making $.35 per gallon of gas; the problem is that our government spends like a 17-year-old with daddy's credit card and no consquences for over-spending. It's a problem for both Democrats and Republicans.

Did you know that there is a bill in the House right now planning to give $1.4 billion over the next three years to Mexico to fight the drug cartels? Mexico not only has the richest person in the world (depending upon the math), but also sits on huge oil reserves that have basically doubled in value in the last 3 years. Why are we going to send them $1.4 billion? You could pay 10,000 U.S. citizens at $50,000 per year to guard the border for the same amount. And they'd be paying taxes by to the U.S. and buying U.S. goods that would go back into our economy.

You know, a billion here and a billion there could end up to be some serious money, lol.

Mark44

Katie's Boss
There is also a bill to spend 1 billion to get people out of there jam on there mortgages. Just because they gambled and loss doesn't mean we need to get them out of it. Live and learn I say.

Mark44

we may get most of our electricity from coal and oil but that does not mean we have to. you can get electricity from a lot of different sources.

Correct, but the enviromental wackos think everything is bad, Nuclear power is bad because of the waste. Windpower is bad because you stick big windmills in the air and it clogs up the sky and kills birds. Hydro power is bad because it destroys habitat. We have gotten ourselves into one heck of a situation and i honestly dont know how we are gonna get out of it

Peter123

C-Note
Correct, but the enviromental wackos think everything is bad, Nuclear power is bad because of the waste. Windpower is bad because you stick big windmills in the air and it clogs up the sky and kills birds. Hydro power is bad because it destroys habitat. We have gotten ourselves into one heck of a situation and i honestly dont know how we are gonna get out of it

I've solved the problem. Gerbils, mice, hamsters, etc. breed like crazy. Hook up those little hamster wheels to generators.... Oh, never mind, I forgot about PETA

:hitwithrock:

onesojourner

I use a thumb throttle.

people are always going to complain but I would be willing to bet they would all agree that a power plant can keep emissions much lower than a bunch of gas cars. I would like to see a lot more smart car size cars on our roads. It is rare that people need even that much room.

people are always going to complain but I would be willing to bet they would all agree that a power plant can keep emissions much lower than a bunch of gas cars. I would like to see a lot more smart car size cars on our roads. It is rare that people need even that much room.

Yes people will always complain, but until our elected officials decide that the good of the whole outweighs the complaints of some of their supporters, nothing will change.

Zerfman34

M.D. in the works...
The VW is a no brainer.
I would jump right on a Diesel stick shift with all wheel drive.
Ultimate beach transport.

amen brother boris! too bad my mom, dad, both of their dads, my dad's 3 brothers and 2 of my moms siblings work at chrysler.... i wish retard american car companies would not be so stubborn about selling jeep commanders and make something like that.

Zerfman34

M.D. in the works...
Don't trains use a diesel generator to charge a supercapacitor that powers an electric motor? I think that is an idea that is way under-utilized. Come on Chevy Volt!!!:headbang:

onesojourner

I use a thumb throttle.
the problem with the volt is its still going to leave us needing oil. The range seems to decrease and the price seems to increase every time I read about the car. I think the last price I heard was 40k. with and all electric range of 30 miles. that's just lame. People are building them better in their garages. At least its another step in the right direction.

Don't trains use a diesel generator to charge a supercapacitor that powers an electric motor? I think that is an idea that is way under-utilized. Come on Chevy Volt!!!:headbang:
No, the diesel powered generator of a locomotive drives electric motors through gear boxes close to the drive axles, no capacitors involved. This is done because it is not practical to build a transmission that can handle 6000hp and then just drive 1 or2 axles ( not enough traction). Modern subway cars and some trains have regenerative braking where the generated power is put back into the grid (those chopper circuits have a few large capacitors) - only works if another train nearby.

Last edited:
the problem with the volt is its still going to leave us needing oil. The range seems to decrease and the price seems to increase every time I read about the car. I think the last price I heard was 40k. with and all electric range of 30 miles. that's just lame. People are building them better in their garages. At least its another step in the right direction.

Thats because we dont have the battery technology yet to do what they want the batteries to do.

Modern subway cars and some trains have regenerative braking where the generated power is put back into the grid (those chopper circuits have a few large capacitors) - only works if another train nearby.

id like to see that incorporated into a car. WHere it puts the power back into the battery or uses it instead of battery power from a capacitor or something

subseawellhead

Cherry Bomb Jackazz
Its called tough love! I think we are fat dumb and happy.

Be prepared........

Mark44

Amen, prepare for the future. Fuel prices are going to go thru the roof, consumer economy will suffer, lots of big changes on the way.
As a sidenote, offshore now on a well an independant producer drilled to 15,000' in 1100' of water on a rig that cost 275,000 a day, dry hole that cost about 25,000,000$ thats a lot of ZERO's

Fro Diesel

creative control
That's if a chrysler can last the 3 years :highhorse:

then get rid of your seadoo :slap:
Little 4bangers can easily pull 2 standups at highway speeds. I've done it with a Tercel, and it had a smaller engine than some motorcycles!

I once towed an 88 626 with another 88 626 Mazda through the hills of Tennessee at highway speeds back to MI. It was automatic 4cyl with steady torque curve (130ft/lb) from very low rpm. Best part was it still stopped just fine. It also had enough room to sleep in the back (hatchback 4dr) comfortable and still get 34 mpg. Now it have a turbo 626 and I get 22-25mpg :banghead:

Top Bottom