Custom/Hybrid Happy burfday to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

swapmeet

Brotastic
Well while we're waitin on parts that shoulda shipped lets bad mouth the sellers. That's always fun.

Lmfao!!! Robin gets real upset real easy... I still Love him ...he's just not happy with me but were gonna get through it together

Imagine your shiny new ~$6k hull sitting unfinished and you can't move forward because you're waiting on the builder to follow through on two simple, small parts (ebox plate, and a battery tray). Then you get on the X (cause you can't go ride...) and your builder is taking orders for more skis because he's 'bored' and later posting pics of complete, custom painted skis. Would any of you be upset? What if you've asked about the parts at least 6-8 times and get no response and no explanation except a bad ship date (pretty much a lie). Yes, I probably have higher expectations than some people, but I don't think I'm out of line here. The only difference is that I haven't gotten on here and ranted about all the other communication issues I've had with Steve. So someone just now reading this might be like 'wow, Swap is going off over nothing.' When in reality I've simply had enough, I'm not making jokes or posting gifs, I'm "for real" pissed. I have to post here and 'bad mouth a seller' to get Steve's attention and get him to respond and hopefully take me seriously. I didn't want it to come to this, it's not fun actually, but nothing else has worked.

*steps off soap box*

On a more positive note, I made my own ebox mount tonight. It's kinda cool, ill try to post pics asap. Looking forward to making progress on my ski tomorrow. The question is do I make my own battery box or do I wait?

Btw, I'm taking pics of most everything as I go, so whenever I feel like doing a thread l have pics to go with it.

Imagine your shiny new ~$6k hull sitting unfinished and you can't move forward because you're waiting on the builder to follow through on two simple, small parts (ebox plate, and a battery tray). Then you get on the X (cause you can't go ride...) and your builder is taking orders for more skis because he's 'bored' and later posting pics of complete, custom painted skis. Would any of you be upset? What if you've asked about the parts at least 6-8 times and get no response and no explanation except a bad ship date (pretty much a lie). Yes, I probably have higher expectations than some people, but I don't think I'm out of line here. The only difference is that I haven't gotten on here and ranted about all the other communication issues I've had with Steve. So someone just now reading this might be like 'wow, Swap is going off over nothing.' When in reality I've simply had enough, I'm not making jokes or posting gifs, I'm "for real" pissed. I have to post here and 'bad mouth a seller' to get Steve's attention and get him to respond and hopefully take me seriously. I didn't want it to come to this, it's not fun actually, but nothing else has worked.

*steps off soap box*

On a more positive note, I made my own ebox mount tonight. It's kinda cool, ill try to post pics asap. Looking forward to making progress on my ski tomorrow. The question is do I make my own battery box or do I wait?

Btw, I'm taking pics of most everything as I go, so whenever I feel like doing a thread l have pics to go with it.

Try to hang in there, I'm sure it will work out. Props on the making the e-box plate. I'd do the temp battery box just so you can get out on the lake and try your new ride out. I have gone through some stuff with my new ride too from a different builder, but just that seems to be how this industry is. The good thing is they are doing their best to promote the sport. Try not letting the little annoying things bring you down. Congrats on the new ride, it looks sweet! Steve did a great job on it, it sparkles!

swapmeet

Brotastic
Thanks for the kind words on my ski. I probably do need to calm down a little.

But....

but just that seems to be how this industry is.

IMO.... This attitude/sentiment is a big part of the problem 'in the industry'. If people continue to buy hulls from builders who never meet their schedule then why will they ever get better? What's the motivation? At the Chans price point, A LOT of first time AM hull buyers are going to buy in, thinking that Steve is going to deliver the ski, complete, when he says he will. And to be honest, it probably won't. But the real problem for me, and in my experience, he won't contact them to say 'hey, your stuffs gonna be late.' They'll be expecting it as if nothing is wrong, and then the unanswered texts start. People texting/ PMing each other "hey, have you heard from Steve? I can't get him to answer my texts and I'm waiting on ________"

The product is great, equal to most high end AM hulls in construction, and if someone chooses to go with custom paint, their getting the deal of a lifetime as Steve is truly a gifted painter. And all the skis and parts will arrive (eventually), I have no doubt about that. I wish he put half as much effort into communicating with his customers as he does about the details of the paint/ build process.

Hey im in over 5 weeks deep after deposit. i havent seen any pics or anything. Havent really even talked to Steve. He told me 4-6 weeks and he likes to surprise people. I know he's very busy and i try to leave him alone so they can keep up on their work load. I will say it does help alot to hear a few words, (whether they are good or bad) on a product your waiting on. I have bought a/m hulls before and i know how it works. Usually you don't get your shift when builders say it will be done, but i always hope i do. lol. Sounds like Steve is getting a lot of deposits so hopefully they can keep up with the load in a timely fashion.

swapmeet

Brotastic
Doesn't look like much in the pic. Gonna paint it black.

25099935bedacd6edee661c514af46cc_zps263ecd34.jpg

yeaaaaaa what you bitchn about if i had my ski that shift would have been done weeks ago i would have forgot about Steve. looks good hopefully you didnt use that old loading ramp much. lol

you don't need to to make an ebox bracket. drill out the holes in the back of the box and tap them. then bolt through the tray to them. no need for extra weight that way :p congrats on finally getting it.

swapmeet

Brotastic
Circa, not sure what you meant about the ramp.

Billy, the goal/ point of the mount is to keep from drilling holes in the dash. It hardly weighs anything.

I painted it black, mainly to stop corrosion. I wanted to mount it and leave it. I used black epoxy spray paint, which has proven to be quite durable on other projects.

your piece of metal you cut looked like a piece of a loading ramp for a dirt bike or quad. Today it looks like a piece from a snowmobile foot rest. lol. You have those in TEXAS? Anyway good work and i agree i try not to put holes in hulls if i dont have too. Post up some more pics.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
The problem is that most a/m hull 'companies' are someone's hobby or a garage operation that wouldn't work in a real industry with realistic customer demands and without the attitude that the builder is somehow doing the waiting customer some favor.

Very few exceptions to this.

The problem is that most a/m hull 'companies' are someone's hobby or a garage operation that wouldn't work in a real industry with realistic customer demands and without the attitude that the builder is somehow doing the waiting customer some favor.

Very few exceptions to this.

I don't agree with this statement at all.... as a buyer for a custom or aftermarket part you usually speak direct to the owner or someone real close so you become closer with updates and so forth...and you feel more let down when they lagg ....
I've ordered a new Malibu ski boat they told me one month it took three...
I ordered a new Eliminator boat they said 2 months it took 6
I've ordered a new z06 they said 2-3 months it took 4

I couldn't call the owner.. I couldn't get them to text me pics I couldn't get anything but the sales men to tell me get was gonna check and call me back.....

I have alot more examples of this but when your ordering a custom made thing for u :):):):) happens things get delayed we are only human... this is y we are tooling up to have 10-15 skis or random colors in stock so for the guys that don't want something personal to them they can just order one off the shelf and have No waiting game !!!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Malibu, Eliminator, and Chevrolet are very well established companies with decades of history behind them. While custom orders may take a little longer than first expected, there is never any doubt in the customer's mind that he/she will actually receive a product and that the product will stand up to certain expectations. I'd be willing to bet that the Malibu, Eliminator, and Z06 had actual legally binding contracts attached with room for legal recourse for both parties. I'd also be willing to bet those companies didn't flat out lie to you about having shipped something they did not, in fact, ship. Just a hunch.
Those companies probably didn't hang out on forums day after day, being buddy-buddy with the customer and posting pictures and other general bs (that may not be a bad thing, I don't know).

A/M hull companies, for the most part, are 1-2 man operations that were established less than five years ago (less than 18 months for many) and are polar opposites from "very well established with decades of history" that the three companies you mentioned are. There is plenty of history of customers getting utterly f'cked over on the product or not receiving it at all. So I think it's pretty fair to say that customers really are not that certain that they will every see their stuff or that it will be complete or usable.

So please, go on and compare a/m hull 'companies' to Malibu and Chevrolet a little more and tell us how one of those customers having to wait a little extra time from an internationally acclaimed company with decades of history is exactly like today's buyer of an a/m hull that has the gall to bitch about poor service.

PS: How those 1-2 man garage operations handle themselves while getting established will determine their future standing in the business. A few come to mind that are doing very well in that regard (thankfully the two I have dealt with fall into that category). Funny thing, the companies that actually are serious companies with an excellent track record now are those that have detached themselves from forums and dedicated their time and energy towards building their business. Ski Clinic, X-Scream - for example.

PPS: Please don't feel like I am talking about you specifically. My comments are directed at a/m hull operations in general. If it feels like I am talking to or about you, it's because the shoe fits, not because I am singling anyone out. But it fits a lot of those operations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom