Other Hitch Hauler Lets see everyone's Hitch Hauler pics and setups

Hey guys, I have a jeep wrangler with a class 2 hitch. I believe the tongue weight is “200-300 lbs”. I’m wondering if I should upgrade to class 3(which I don’t really want to immediately) or whether anyone else is using class 2.

In addition, does anyone recommend a certain brand store-bought hitch carrier they’ve converted to carry skis? I’m in Hawaii…my options are limited. I might see if Rad Dudes is possible/affordable.

that 200-300 pounds is tongue weight right at the receiver. If you put an extension on it like a hitch hauler the tongue load capacity decreases. There is a formula to find out how much it decreases per inch of extension but I cant for the life of me find it. I want to say for every foot it decreases by something crazy like 20-30%. I think a class 3 or better would be the only one I would trust my ski on. Just my two cents.

that 200-300 pounds is tongue weight right at the receiver. If you put an extension on it like a hitch hauler the tongue load capacity decreases. There is a formula to find out how much it decreases per inch of extension but I cant for the life of me find it. I want to say for every foot it decreases by something crazy like 20-30%. I think a class 3 or better would be the only one I would trust my ski on. Just my two cents.

I had my ski on for a week with my class 2 on my jeep, it worked great. Deff in the future I would like to improve everything. But right now, I need to figure out a way to unload the ski. Just haven't gone because nobody else here rides.

Im not sure if Rad Dudes ever gets into the Wisconsin Area let alone the Midwest buy I might be wrong. I would buy one in a heartbeat but not when there is a 65% cost increase just from shipping. Its not like I entered my zip code even, just straight rate.

Im going to be making my own in a simular way and will post pictures when its done. Metal cost is goign to be around $55 for A36 steel and 316 stainless is right at the $200 mark. I can get it powdercoated for around $75 so going with A36! Adding a $20 waterproof trailer light and some synthetic deck board, or 2x4 w/ carpet and she will be sweet!

Loving all the ideas from ppls pictures!

SkiDiggity

formerly kawirider142
Im curious, Do the rad dudes hauler have a receiver at the back of the hauler so that I could also tow a small trailer while using it?

I just bought a hauler from a guy who lives in Havasu that has the Hitch receiver in the back so I can tow my trailer. Might be worth checking out the guy does great work. He also rhino lines the whole thing so it lasts longer.

http://mohave.craigslist.org/boa/4936794953.html

I am getting it next week since I am having someone pick it up for me. I will post pics when I get it all set up. He also recommended running a stowaway hitch tightener. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001CMUV4...vptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8j5io2mazv_e

Do any of you use this?

just joe

Site Supporter
I use that hitch tightener and it works very well. Without it my hauler rocks in the hitch receiver and I used to use pump shims to reduce the movement but the hitch tightener works way better. I recommend it for sure

Someone please explain: why do you prefer a hitch hauler over a small trailer? I've used a hitch hauler for my first two skis, but wanted to be able to ride alone and really got sick of lifting it on and off the truck. I know some of you nearly submarine your trucks to avoid lifting at the water, but you still need to lift it off the truck when you get home, assuming you don't have a beach cart. It seems everything is so much simpler with a small trailer. Roll it up to the truck, set it onto the hitch, done. Back it into the water without submerging your truck. If you're worried about garage space, my trailer doesn't really add any space compared to if the ski was sitting on the floor. I bought this trailer from harbor freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/870-lb...ailer-with-8-inch-wheels-and-tires-42708.html

Despite it not being the most well-made trailer in the world, it works perfectly. Definitely not missing the heavy lifting. Just my two centsTrailer.jpg

iangdesign

Cats, lots of cats!
I haves used both and my hitch hauler is the same height as my garage carts. Slide on and off at home. The only issue I ever encountered with hitch ahuler was I couldn't open the liftgate on my SUV until the ski was off the hauler. Other then that it worked great.

i cant park my trailer and vehicle at work. and the hitch hauler i can. plus with a beach cart i never have to wait for a boat ramp or back it into the water. i thought they were silly.... until i got one

I live in a condo on a densely populated island and have nowhere to put a trailer plus it suddenly makes my ski super duper easy to steal if it isnt locked up. Stupid condo rules. Oh, plus that trailer would cost a ton in hawaii :( All trailers seem to

What ski did you end up getting?
me? full carbon rok-r from a member on this board. has a slightly built engine (sorry at work, don't have info on me) and tank upgraded to 5gal since there's no lakes here.

Work keeps me a little too busy to ride...well actually to get licensed. Pretty lame because I'm required to take a safety course here that they only offer a few times a year!

edit -
10406977_893197688152_8396356762446627714_n.jpg

#FX1 696, I have the same trailer and i found even with the smaller sedan i pulled it with those short wheel base trailers are a pain in the arse to back up. Also cant see them w/o the ski on the trailer so getting it back in the water to pull it out is a pain. Lastly it takes up space in the garage, too many other toys. so its out back leaning against my fence.

im building a hitch hauler as well but will continue to use the trailer until i find a new truck to put the hitch hauler on. I am also trying to design a hitch hauler that moves vertically about 10" if possible using a screw jack. That way i dont have to dump the entire truck into the water and wont require a beach cart since i would never use one anyways since my only water access near home is boat launches and then driving the ski to the beaches.

#FX1 696, I have the same trailer and i found even with the smaller sedan i pulled it with those short wheel base trailers are a pain in the arse to back up. Also cant see them w/o the ski on the trailer so getting it back in the water to pull it out is a pain. Lastly it takes up space in the garage, too many other toys. so its out back leaning against my fence.

im building a hitch hauler as well but will continue to use the trailer until i find a new truck to put the hitch hauler on. I am also trying to design a hitch hauler that moves vertically about 10" if possible using a screw jack. That way i dont have to dump the entire truck into the water and wont require a beach cart since i would never use one anyways since my only water access near home is boat launches and then driving the ski to the beaches.

Last fall I decided to add a bin to the front of the trailer, which required lengthening the tongue. I also changed the coupler to a 2", which prevents the need for having more than one hitch. The bow stop is now welded, with a winch mounted. PVC bunks cracked going over bumpy ground off road, so they were replaced with treated wood topped with sliders. This hurt my garage space issue, but it's now easier to back up at least. As for visibility without the ski on, I just added uprights on the rear of the trailer. I'll always prefer a trailer to a hitch hauler, but now I know the reason some of you choose differently. We don't have many regulations about parking trailers near my house/work.

Lengthened Tongue.jpg

that looks nice. since I am getting a truck more than likely a hitch hauler will work. We have minimal problems with fee's and parking here in Wisconsin were I ride. Probably will save on boat launch fee's though because I wont have a trialer any more. Granted it cost me like $25 a year for the two passes anyways!

Top Bottom