Is the sport / market declining?

E350

Site Supporter
Atlas Shrugged. Ayn Rand. You can stay and fight. Or you can leave and let what you love be devoured. Dagny Taggart did eventually leave, letting her father's railroad fail. I understand the desire to flee instead of fight.

But gas prices affect our jet ski market don't they?

Atlas Shrugged. Ayn Rand. You can stay and fight. Or you can leave and let what you love be devoured. Dagny Taggart did eventually leave, letting her father's railroad fail. I understand the desire to flee instead of fight.

But gas prices affect our jet ski market don't they?
Only if you are looking for an excuse not to do something should gas prices prevent you from any activity.If an extra $20 at a fill up can make or break you you probably shouldn’t be jetsking anyway.

E350

Site Supporter
. . . should gas prices prevent you . . . you probably shouldn’t be jetsking anyway.

Unfortunately, many people in California are taking your advice.

And that is my point.

And the jet skiing market is declining.

I burn allot of fuel because I ride (or really try hard to ride) daily. Although the water is getting colder, the air temp today is forecast to be 99F.

Life = Energy.

Lower Energy Cost = More Life.

Last edited:

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Let those with eyes to see, see:

View attachment 451288

View attachment 451290
View attachment 451295
View attachment 451294

@Big Kahuna when gas prices are DOUBLE in your area you will see that everything is more expensive.

And you will see fewer boats on Lake Altoona.

California is a one party Communist State. Kamala will bring California gas prices to the Nation.

Which will continue the downward spiral of our economy, sending more jobs overseas.

(G.E. aka General Electric was just purchased by the Chinese. U.S. Steel is being sold to the Japanese. Is that good for our Nations "real" (i.e., manufacturing) economy?)

It is so easy to see our future. If you will just look. Your future travels from the one party state of California towards the East and it is coming for your State too.

And our Nation's economy - including the jet ski market - will continue to decline.
Gas prices have been going down here for the past several weeks.................... I never knew Trump owned all the gas stations and controlled the pricing. Did he sell out when he lost the last election? Is that how it works? You become president and control the price of gas?

E350

Site Supporter
No BK. The one party Communist state of California DOUBLED GAS TAXES SINCE 2017:
1727210905335.png
1727210946433.png

One party is for the use of fossil fuel energy.

One party does everything they can to discourage its use.

hornedogg79

dodgin' bass boats
My machinist jumped from $50 a hole to $80 a hole in one year. Yay..

BK, didn't you tell me this weekend you don't have to pay for gas? I'm sure that makes a difference.

USA has more proven oil reserves than anyone in the world. We don't need Canadian oil (keystone XL) or middle eastern oil. We need permits to produce our own. US oil rig count plummeted during Obama's rule. One of the few promises he actually kept. My job disappeared. The industry left my town. Many family and friends moved away for good.

Last edited:

Kohldanielzimmer

Sierra Nevada Runoff Rider
Site Supporter
Disclaimer: I love petroleum products. But, increased production in US to significantly lower costs almost certainly won’t happen because it will hurt profits for the companies producing. You could use some sort of government edict to compel production or nationalize some portion of it but that’s intervention that I don’t support either (from a pragmatic and principle standpoint). Not sure what the answer is but unfortunately I don’t foresee reduction in energy costs. Hopefully I’m wrong.

Jetskiing as a sport has been in a constant state of decline since the 80’s. As far as I’m concerned 4 stroke boats aren’t really even jetskis. Way too big and heavy, you may as well buy a boat since you need a trailer anyway.

Past that it’s definitely economically driven, look how much the market flared up when the government started giving away money. And complaining because homie is making it political is silly I think because truly on many fronts he is right. Elect the Don and likely it will be good for the sport, elect cumdumpster and her wef controllers and there will probably be less jetskiing in our floundering country.

BK, didn't you told me this weekend you don't have to pay for gas? I'm sure that makes a difference.

USA has more proven oil reserves than anyone in the world. We don't need Canadian oil (keystone XL) or middle eastern oil. We need permits to produce our own. US oil rig count plummeted during Obama's rule. One of the few promises he actually kept. My job disappeared. The industry left my town. Many family and friends moved away for good.
I worked that spill, sub'ing on a vessel the Gulf living the TWIC/HAZMAT life.

I have some stories, but man, that moratorium when it just...kept....licoriceing...leaking for a few months over the summer. It was not needed, and ruined a lot of lives. BP killed a lot of people and look at what happened.

Now the GULF Study begs me for my fingernail clippings and hair/blood samples for science every year. How do they keep finding me, idk!

California aside, which seems like another universe compared to the rest of the US.. Seems like an unpopular opinion but I really don't think gas prices have anything to do with whether people are jetskiing.

Big Kahuna

Administrator

BK, didn't you told me this weekend you don't have to pay for gas? I'm sure that makes a difference.

I pay for Anita's and Izzy's gas!!!!!!!!!!! Plus my gas when I travel or for the Ski's

JeskiBoji

Site Supporter
It’s a very bad sign the fed dropped rates a full 1/2 point and prices for houses autos and what you need to live were still though the roof. It seems like they keep the supply side so much tighter though so many different levers they will succeed into turning all of us into hamsters on the wheel. ”but what are you gonna do sit around all day and worry about what DARPA’s doing” find something you enjoy and do it. Seems like a great time with the jetski manufacturers doing everything they can with trilljet and stone offering somthing for the working stiffs and Rickter back at it with the gourmet stuff

Last edited:
If you want to cry about gas prices then California has been higher than the rest of the country for the last 20 years. California gas prices are also down $1.10 per gallon from last year.
It ain't the gas prices keeping people from riding.

As was already said, drilling more will not help. We already export more than we import. If you want to lower the cost then tell the oil companies to stop exporting and making record profits, I don't think they will listen.
The U.S. exported about 10.15 million barrels of petroleum per day (b/d) and imported about 6.48 million b/d, resulting in a net petroleum export of 1.64 million b/d.
Also keep in mind that the oil we produce here is not the oil needed to make gasoline so having more of the wrong oil isn't going to lower your gas prices.

"You see, the U.S. does produce enough oil to meet its own needs, but it is the wrong type of oil.

Crude is graded according to two main metrics, weight and sweetness. The weight of oil defines how easy it is to refine, or break down into its usable component parts, such as gasoline, jet fuel and diesel. Light crude is the easiest to handle, heavy is the most difficult, with intermediate obviously somewhere in between. The sweetness refers to the sulfur content of unrefined oil. The sweeter it is, the less sulfur it contains.

Most of the oil produced in the U.S. fields in Texas, Oklahoma, and elsewhere is light and sweet, compared to what comes from the Middle East and Russia. The problem is that for many years, imported oil met most of the U.S.’s energy needs, so a large percentage of the refining capacity here is geared towards dealing with oil that is heavier and less sweet than the kind produced here."

If you want to complain about California gas taxes then find a way to get all the electric vehicles to pay for road repair because as of now that is why the gas tax is so high as you are paying for the EV's and they are paying nothing towards transportation costs like road maintenance. Also let's be realistic, the people using the roads have to help pay for the roads, that is not communisms. I don't understand the people that want police, fire, EMS, the strongest military in the world, good roads, perfect public transportation, care for veterans, make the homeless disappear but don't want to pay any taxes because that would be communism...

Facts do matter.

Now shut up and go ride. If you can afford the ski and the vehicle and the entry fee then go ride because the gas is going to cost less than last year. More fun and less complaining will make you much happier.

Yes, I hate the cost of stuff in Cali but I can ride my ski in the morning, surf at lunch and be riding my dirtbike in the mountains in the afternoon. It isn't perfect but fo me I haven't found a place I like more and I don't let politics get in the way of living my best life.

Last edited:
I am done with anything political in this thread...

Back to the topic I have my opinions on what is happening with the sport and like most things there is no one easy answer.

1. COVID Bubble: We had the covid bubble where everyone wanted anything outdoors including skis so they were coming out of the woodwork and the prices started to get crazy. This was good because more people were into skis and I have seen more 2-stroke skis on our lakes in the last 4 years than I have in the last 15. The price increase was bad for the young kids that wanted their first ski. Then the guys started thinking a stock superjet with a pipe was a $6k ski.

2. Parts and "mechanics": The guys that started buying the old skis found that old skis need work, even ones you paid too much for. They would watch youtube videos from "internet experts" or Facebook, buy cheap Chinese parts and the ski still wouldn't run and they had no clue or a mentor to help so they abandoned skis forever because they are "old and unreliable".

3. Kids These Days: When I was 14 my life was skis and motorcycles, every dime I had went to renting a 1992 550 SX at the local marina or buying a dirt-bike. My fist ski in 1993 was a $800 turd of an X-2 that never ran so I bought a 1989 $1,000 650 SX and in 1994 I was working at a local motorcycle shop and going to high school.
In our group of friends and family we have about 10 high school aged kids. Not a single one of them has any interest in skis or motorcycles, they have the opportunity to use both for free but it is like pulling teeth to get them to go. They would rather "hang out", play video games or watch youtube. More that half of them don't even want to get their licenses. So there is no youth refreshing the sport. Those of us are also aging out as life gets in the way. Of all my friends with skis only a couple still ride. I remember when everyone's grandpa was part of a Model T club and now I don't remember the last time I saw one. Without new riders we are going to become the Model T club of skis.

4. Mentors: When I first got into skis there was always some "old guy" (Probably 30) at the lake that would help when our skis broke down and show us how to fix them. At our lake I am the only person I know that tries to help when I see a ski down. Half of the people think they know better because they watched youtube. 1/4 are appreciative but you know they have no clue what you told them. The last 1/4 think you are a creeper and going to lure them into your van to kill them. Last summer two 16 yo boys were riding some clean 650 SX's and they stopped close to me and popped the hood then started looking for rope to tow it. I asked them what was going on and you could tell they didn't want to talk to me. I told them it seemed like they fouled a plug and offered them a couple plugs for free. They said their dad doesn't want anyone touching the skis and seemed a little annoyed I was talking to them. I told them they can try towing it without a rope or I could walk 20' to my car, grab two new plugs and a wrench and set them on the beach and if they use them great and if not that is fine too. After a lot of talking between themselves the plug disappeared and the ski fired up. Their tone changed and they were so thankful and appreciative and offered to bring back money. I told them a thank you would be fine and I would be gone when they got back. When I was a kid everyone had a dad, uncle or grandpa that worked on and fixed everything. Now on a Saturday I never see people even changing their oil in their driveway anymore.

I will say that quality parts are getting harder to find which is not helping the sport.
Other than the idiots thinking their skis are worth the moon for the most part entry level ski prices haven't changed much in the last 30 years.
Sorry, trying to not be an old man complaining about the youth today, LOL.
I think the biggest factors are the youth isn't interested and people don't know how to work on things anymore.

If we are talking about the $30K skis then they have never been in my wheelhouse, I never considered them due to price even though I can afford one and have only ever seen one Rickter at our local lakes so I don't know that market.

Last edited:
I am done with anything political in this thread...

Back to the topic I have my opinions on what is happening with the sport and like most things there is no one easy answer.

1. COVID Bubble: We had the covid bubble where everyone wanted anything outdoors including skis so they were coming out of the woodwork and the prices started to get crazy. This was good because more people were into skis and I have seen more 2-stroke skis on our lakes in the last 4 years than I have in the last 15. The price increase was bad for the young kids that wanted their first ski. Then the guys started thinking a stock superjet with a pipe was a $6k ski.

2. Parts and "mechanics": The guys that started buying the old skis found that old skis need work, even ones you paid too much for. They would watch youtube videos from "internet experts" or Facebook, buy cheap Chinese parts and the ski still wouldn't run and they had no clue or a mentor to help so they abandoned skis forever because they are "old and unreliable".

3. Kids These Days: When I was 14 my life was skis and motorcycles, every dime I had went to renting a 1992 550 SX at the local marina or buying a dirt-bike. My fist ski in 1993 was a $800 turd of an X-2 that never ran so I bought a 1989 $1,000 650 SX and in 1994 I was working at a local motorcycle shop and going to high school.
In our group of friends and family we have about 10 high school aged kids. Not a single one of them has any interest in skis or motorcycles, they have the opportunity to use both for free but it is like pulling teeth to get them to go. They would rather "hang out", play video games or watch youtube. More that half of them don't even want to get their licenses. So there is no youth refreshing the sport. Those of us are also aging out as life gets in the way. Of all my friends with skis only a couple still ride. I remember when everyone's grandpa was part of a Model T club and now I don't remember the last time I saw one. Without new riders we are going to become the Model T club of skis.

4. Mentors: When I first got into skis there was always some "old guy" (Probably 30) at the lake that would help when our skis broke down and show us how to fix them. At our lake I am the only person I know that tries to help when I see a ski down. Half of the people think they know better because they watched youtube. 1/4 are appreciative but you know they have no clue what you told them. The last 1/4 think you are a creeper and going to lure them into your van to kill them. Last summer two 16 yo boys were riding some clean 650 SX's and they stopped close to me and popped the hood then started looking for rope to tow it. I asked them what was going on and you could tell they didn't want to talk to me. I told them it seemed like they fouled a plug and offered them a couple plugs for free. They said their dad doesn't want anyone touching the skis and seemed a little annoyed I was talking to them. I told them they can try towing it without a rope or I could walk 20' to my car, grab two new plugs and a wrench and set them on the beach and if they use them great and if not that is fine too. After a lot of talking between themselves the plug disappeared and the ski fired up. Their tone changed and they were so thankful and appreciative and offered to bring back money. I told them a thank you would be fine and I would be gone when they got back. When I was a kid everyone had a dad, uncle or grandpa that worked on and fixed everything. Now on a Saturday I never see people even changing their oil in their driveway anymore.

I will say that quality parts are getting harder to find which is not helping the sport.
Other than the idiots thinking their skis are worth the moon for the most part entry level ski prices haven't changed much in the last 30 years.
Sorry, trying to not be an old man complaining about the youth today, LOL.
I think the biggest factors are the youth isn't interested and people don't know how to work on things anymore.

If we are talking about the $30K skis then they have never been in my wheelhouse, I never considered them due to price even though I can afford one and have only ever seen one Rickter at our local lakes so I don't know that market.
Something sure has changed. I see later generations never playing outside and never getting their hands dirty. Both are required for an outdoor hobby. Maybe a jetski video game or simulator is the future of the sport.

Top Bottom