Is the sport / market declining?

We used to ride ATV's all day and night, rain or shine, stuck basketballs in the frame deflated and pump em up to try to float across a pond, see your buddies Recon sink, decide not to and then attempt to explain to your father when you forget to take it out, why the hell there's a basketball in his fourwheeler, lol.

I should probably call my Dad and say sorry for that, haha.

The late 90's were just different. Everything was just different. The worst thing that could happen was Y2K, and even then, it was just hocus pocus. We watched it on TV laughing half hoping it would happen, really knowing it wasn't anything at all, like a solar flare on the news, nobody got worked up about it that wasn't super weird, and even then, that was just 'so and so' and they weren't ridiculed after it didn't happen or called conspiracy theorists.

I mean that sounds like 'just some story' but literally it's how the 90's ended, with Y2K and Backstreet Boys being back, the biggest news story was if Fred Durst finger banged Britney Spears or not, or whatever.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
We used to ride ATV's all day and night, rain or shine, stuck basketballs in the frame deflated and pump em up to try to float across a pond, see your buddies Recon sink, decide not to and then attempt to explain to your father when you forget to take it out, why the hell there's a basketball in his fourwheeler, lol.

I should probably call my Dad and say sorry for that, haha.

The late 90's were just different. Everything was just different. The worst thing that could happen was Y2K, and even then, it was just hocus pocus. We watched it on TV laughing half hoping it would happen, really knowing it wasn't anything at all, like a solar flare on the news, nobody got worked up about it that wasn't super weird, and even then, that was just 'so and so' and they weren't ridiculed after it didn't happen or called conspiracy theorists.

I mean that sounds like 'just some story' but literally it's how the 90's ended, with Y2K and Backstreet Boys being back, the biggest news story was if Fred Durst finger banged Britney Spears or not, or whatever.
If computers/internet peaked in 2001 the world would be a better place. Just good enough to get stuff done, but not so good to spend 16hrs a day on..

If computers/internet peaked in 2001 the world would be a better place. Just good enough to get stuff done, but not so good to spend 16hrs a day on..
Don't get me started. I work in IT.
Internets dead as dead can be.

They used to have what's called the "dead internet theory" but as AI driven content and media have basically now surpassed the human ability to beat the "algorithms". We're there.

All content getting served to us is just becoming more and more junk.

Just Google search Wikipedia and see how far you have to scroll down to find it. Ask yourself how many reels/tiktoks you watch before you encounter one that's generated.

I couldn't pinpoint it myself but as a kid growing up with the internet late 90s to today. I just wish we could go back to the day the Internet was "fun"

E350

Site Supporter
I actually ride like a computer bot. I mean I have to think everything through before I can practice it.
I mean I am better on the computer than I am riding.

But we are going out again today (95F) so I can become a better rider.
A guy on the beach (a former now landlocked surfer from Santa Cruz) told me that he loves to watch my wife ski because of how gracefully she carves. He is now a dirt onewheeler looking everywhere for berms to ride up and cut back down with acceleration.
I am not gay, but the water will be flat like a mirror.
No waves in sight unless we get a wake boat or yacht going by.
Please join with us in Prayer for boats.

Something sure has changed. I see later generations never playing outside and never getting their hands dirty. Both are required for an outdoor hobby. Maybe a jetski video game or simulator is the future of the sport.
It is strange for sure. I am 48 so I don't consider myself old but maybe I am... Driving through the neighborhoods the last few weekends going to my dad's house I couldn't help but notice there was not a single kid outside on a warm 70 degree Saturday afternoon. Come to think of it there were no adults outside either, seemed very strange...

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
It is strange for sure. I am 48 so I don't consider myself old but maybe I am... Driving through the neighborhoods the last few weekends going to my dad's house I couldn't help but notice there was not a single kid outside on a warm 70 degree Saturday afternoon. Come to think of it there were no adults outside either, seemed very strange...
Not if you come around my house! Luckily we live on a great street with lots of kids. So we have gokarts motorcycles onewheels bikes etc going almost every evening. However, I have to get the kids going on them. They dont come to me asking to ride like I used to beg my parents to do back in the 90's..

bird

walking on water
Site Supporter
We just got word in the past week that LSP is making an RTR and more, as well as Rickter being back. Jet Skis still got game.
Seeing the prices of used SuperJets tanking, has me thinking these RTRs are great for the sport. They're gonna put new life into the sport, instead of newbs buying clapped out 701s and water logged hulls for $6,000.

Last edited:

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter
IJSBA just announced that the last day of in office work started with a large amount of entries for the 2024 Short Block Technologies WGP-1 World Finals. This many entries has not been received in a 24 hour period since prior to the COVID 19 pandemic. So that is some good news for the sport.

hornedogg79

dodgin' bass boats
IJSBA just announced that the last day of in office work started with a large amount of entries for the 2024 Short Block Technologies WGP-1 World Finals. This many entries has not been received in a 24 hour period since prior to the COVID 19 pandemic. So that is some good news for the sport.
Probably from other countries since the dollar is so weak.

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter
Probably from other countries since the dollar is so weak.
Yeah, could be. All it mostly takes now days is a lot of money to have the best machine/support and then show up to 1 event to qualify for the World Finals and yes, you to can be a World Champion.. :) I could say that for probably 90% of all the classes they offer these days.
In my days of racing and freestyling stand-ups(1990-2002) you had to go to every race all season and win your region and earn your "Golden Ticket" to the WF's. But I digress...lol

Last edited:

E350

Site Supporter
What part of "market declining" do you have trouble understanding which affects the sport?

Thread title:

Is the sport / market declining?​

Top Bottom