Is the sport / market declining?

holygoat

Site Supporter
Sturat is correct about the support going away , for over a year now I have tried to find someone local to bore cylinders for me, the guy that did mine is now in a wheelchair and he has had this last set of Seadoo 951 cylinders for 8 months now.

I have called everyone I know , dealers , independent shops you name it within a 50 mile radius of here with no results, there is one place in Prattville that said they could do but they need to look at the cylinders first and if they can do it it's $260.00 labor , ummmm let me think about that one for a minute, noooooooooooooooooo.

But yeah that is the kind of BS stuff I am dealing with here.
Why not just LPW? Not within driving distance I assume but he's close.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I didn't even think about Paul but I will give him a call for sure , no one is anywhere near within driving distance , on a bunch of this flip ski sitdown stuff I am just going to do WSM cylinder exchanges as that seems to be the cheapest and most practical option for me , however on most of my personal stuff I want my cylinder back .

I found a boring machine that a friend bought that is not going to use. I'm planning to buy it soon once I get set up in my new house that has a nice oversized 2 car garage with a car port out back. I have some cylinders to practice on and hope to be able to offer quick cylinder boring or nozzle boring. I've been doing machining for the last 2 years for a job so I have developed a solid understanding of it. Eventually plan to get a lathe and milling machine as well. We'll see how it works out. There's not really many local places near me that can offer something like that if any so there's opportunity there.

Last edited:

HarryConnolly

Site Supporter
I wonder if this sport will turn into the Harley market. Once the 2 stroke support really slows down, parts could shoot to the moon.

When I was a kid the knuckle and panhead motors my father would build were a niche but still had market support and availability wasn’t a problem. Granted everyone was old and I can’t find guys that know what they used to know about these motors. For example, unique bolt sizes, what parts are interchangeable or quality of life case modifications for oiling. That disappeared and now a dog poop set of cases costs more than the entire bikes parts combined with labor. I wish I learned machining.

I wonder if late model 2stroke super jets will be 10k+ in 10-20 years.

Edit: I’ve honestly considered putting my own cash up on R&D for an electric stand up. Can’t believe that doesn’t exist yet. I think it would sell. At the lake I’m on people don’t own stand ups because of the noise

Last edited:
Old guys pay a lot for bikes and cars, boats have largely been abandoned. Used OEM cases and cylinders are still cheap although fewer of them are in good condition. New cranks are expensive but that is a must have item as far as i am concerned. I dont trust aftermarket cranks yet. Electrics are easy but have no range in boats or airplanes. You can still get plenty of parts now to last the rest of your life. Supply will follow demand.

HarryConnolly

Site Supporter
Old guys pay a lot for bikes and cars, boats have largely been abandoned. Used OEM cases and cylinders are still cheap although fewer of them are in good condition. New cranks are expensive but that is a must have item as far as i am concerned. I dont trust aftermarket cranks yet. Electrics are easy but have no range in boats or airplanes. You can still get plenty of parts now to last the rest of your life. Supply will follow demand.

It makes me wonder, after reading on this post about someone waiting for work to get done to 951 cylinders.

What happens when the guys that know that work are gone?

It seems like the real OGs in this sport are 40-60 years old

I could for see a future where the niche knowledge is lost and things go sky high?

It’s the little things, I’ve noticed things like ovp that seem easily lost in time.

Jr.

Standing Tall
Staff member
Site Supporter
I didn't even think about Paul but I will give him a call for sure , no one is anywhere near within driving distance , on a bunch of this flip ski sitdown stuff I am just going to do WSM cylinder exchanges as that seems to be the cheapest and most practical option for me , however on most of my personal stuff I want my cylinder back .
from what I understand, I’m the last operating powersports cyl boring in all of North Georgia. I stock all Yamaha twin piston sizes.
and offer 1-2 day turn around. Will do the same for you Terry, if you supply Pistons when you send cyl. Im not interested in dealing with local SeaDoo riders, so I dont offer any seadoo service, nor stock any parts for them. Give me a call, im sure we can work something out that beneficial for both of us.

WFO Speedracer

It makes me wonder, after reading on this post about someone waiting for work to get done to 951 cylinders.

What happens when the guys that know that work are gone?

It seems like the real OGs in this sport are 40-60 years old

I could for see a future where the niche knowledge is lost and things go sky high?

It’s the little things, I’ve noticed things like ovp that seem easily lost in time.
Yep you are correct , I turn 61 in September , so what does happen when the guys like me are gone , my knowledge base is mostly Seadoo ,older Kawasaki with some Yamaha mixed in , I also know quite a bit about the older Polaris machines not that I want to work on them.

I have probably forgotten more about the older Seadoo two strokes especially the yellow motors than most people know , I am not working on these skis forever , I have already backed way off and geared my business toward keeping older customers skis running plus buying and selling , of course as these older customers slowly get out of riding watercraft my business has taken quite a hit , next year there will be even less repair and way more buying and selling as to stay in business I have to adapt , I have the perfect location at the lake for that type of business model to succeed .

A top end repair is about as far as I will go on machines for the general public , past that the repair costs exceed more than the machine is worth , some of my longstanding customers can get me to build a complete engine but it is a rarity. I of course will build complete motors for the flip skis as needed but that is just for me as I am the customer till the skis sell.

The irony in all of this is you have to work on the skis to be able to get deals on skis to buy and sell , time has proven this over and over to be true , I have had many people just drop off skis at my doorstep for free , all they want to keep is their trailer , you can do a lot when your buy in cost is zero..

I do have a friend - customer that I have tried to slowly bring up to speed , he mostly piddles but his knowledge is not where it needs to be yet and he is working out of his house , I am working out a deal with him to let him work at my shop at the lake and keep it open on the weekends ,this way he can sell batteries, spark plugs, lanyards , oil etc and in turn this will allow him to get all the skis out of his back yard and make his neighbors very happy.

My hope is that with my assistance here and there I can pass along enough of my knowledge that he can get by and possibly take over most of my general repair side of the business instead of just closing the doors in a few years and having all of it lost forever. Who knows at some point maybe I can rent out at least part of the shop to him and go hang out at the lake.

Not dead yet. Just missed a deal yesterday for $7500 near Denver:

2x RN SJ's
1x SN SJ
Trailer

Not too bad, one of the RN and the SN looked a bit neglected but after you've worked on these things for a while there's only so many things that can be wrong.

As FastGT says - pass the knowledge and stoke around and keep the sport alive. It's really impressive to see how into it people are here in Colorado given that we are land locked AF and water is not exactly a commodity we are in excess of.

WFO Speedracer

the only way to keep the sport around is to pass the knowledge and get the next generation on it so they can continue the sport otherwise it will quickly die out.
Pretty much what I was thinking . I will say this it is pretty damn hard to find anyone that is teachable and actually wants to learn anymore.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Edit: I’ve honestly considered putting my own cash up on R&D for an electric stand up. Can’t believe that doesn’t exist yet. I think it would sell. At the lake I’m on people don’t own stand ups because of the noise
The cost and weight of the batteries is the limiting factor. But you can swap in an electric motor into any ski and give it a shot.

Also if you stick with an oem waterbox skis are fairly quiet.

Last edited:

WFO Speedracer

No idea how far this actually went , I know the freeform factory hull was a bust but the head guy from Free Form ventured off into the links below, you have to give him props for sticking to his guns :

Jetskiing has been dying off since the early 2000s. Has F all to do with trump or who was in charge during covid. It has everything to do with the greed in this sport. The riders have priced new comers out. 1000 dollar used bpipes? Like cmon. Tell us your a greedy prick without actually saying it. I just saw a bpipe on ebay for 1400 usd. When i told the guy i got a brand new one from blowsion for 1099 he says "but its a fx1 pipe and not made anymore" lmao ok buddy. This is the sort of $hit that keeps people away. Just pure greed.

Also add the epa killed 2 strokes, economy has young people living cheque to cheque with no spare cash and new skis are more then a used truck.....yah. never coming back either. Glad i got to see the hayday and what it used to be. Now just rich people out doing backflips and 360s to get likes on tik tok.

E350

Site Supporter
No idea how far this actually went , I know the freeform factory hull was a bust but the head guy from Free Form ventured off into the links below, you have to give him props for sticking to his guns :

Don't hold your breath waiting for one:

1725053925278.png

Liquid fuel is still the best source of energy.

And where a light weight power plant is desirable, for instance in watercraft, 2-stroke engines are still the best.

Just thinking about the electric motor version of a ski and I think the real issue is going to be corrosion protection on all electrical components... especially for you guys that play in the salt water. I read recently that most manufacturers of electric trolling motors will not honor the warranty if the motor is used in salt water. I know I have seen first hand what freshwater and just a humid environment will do to a battery bank in a sailboat, particularly lithium for some reason, and it's really surprising to see in just a few months new battery terminals and leads are covered in thick green corrosion. I used to work on sailboat motors and drives, in one summer even with a spray on anti corrosion coating the lithium batteries in particular would still go heavily green and begin to eat away at the terminal lugs. Underneath the bunks even though it was dry, the humidity the batteries experienced was heavy and constant. I really don't think electric would be a good idea for watercraft. I don't know if those hydrofoils have issues but I can believe it will be a sooner or later thing with them and then they're back into the cost of a new battery and/or electrics. For a decent battery to give a ski some good run time I wouldn't be surprised to see a hefty price tag running around at least 2/3 the cost of the ski if not more if the auto batteries are any indication of what to expect.

Last edited:
Top Bottom