John's budget SJ build

Waternut

Customizing addict
So I'm FINALLY painting it. Here is what it looks like after 2-3 light coats. I'm not done but the gun was out so I took a little break just to make sure the paint doesn't run.

I used primer on my handlepole and it looked like sh*t!! So I just painted directly over the fiberglass here and you can tell a little bit but I'm also putting more coats on still.

Attachments

• 000_0720.jpg
    000_0720.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 156
  • 000_0721.jpg
    000_0721.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 141
  • 000_0722.jpg
    000_0722.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 157

Waternut

Customizing addict
Ok I'm happy with it now... It's probably got 4-6 coats of paint depending on the area.

The last pic is a close up with the flash. It doesn't look quite that misty in person but it's got a hint of metallic specs in the paint.

Attachments

• 000_0723.jpg
    000_0723.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 000_0724.jpg
    000_0724.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 201
  • 000_0728.jpg
    000_0728.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 224

Waternut

Customizing addict
Well I think I'm finally done with the nose. It's not perfect but it's as good as it's gonna get for a while. It's just primed right now. If I ever do this again, I will foam it entirely with US composites foam because the great stuff filler is too soft. I would also lay 4-5 thick layers of fiberglass down and just sand the crap out of everything until it's smooth instead of foam, smooth, glass, fill, glass, fill, smooth, fill, smooth, fill...you get the point.

Attachments

• 000_0742.jpg
    000_0742.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 227
  • 000_0743.jpg
    000_0743.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 000_0744.jpg
    000_0744.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 167

tbaer

USMC
Well I think I'm finally done with the nose. It's not perfect but it's as good as it's gonna get for a while. It's just primed right now. If I ever do this again, I will foam it entirely with US composites foam because the great stuff filler is too soft. I would also lay 4-5 thick layers of fiberglass down and just sand the crap out of everything until it's smooth instead of foam, smooth, glass, fill, glass, fill, smooth, fill, smooth, fill...you get the point.

it kind of looks like a round nose that had the nose busted off and glassed flat

Waternut

Customizing addict
keep it up john, cant wait to see finished product. what motor you putting in 701 or 760 i hope.

Yeah I've definately have a 701 to go in here. It just got back from Bradenton Motor Sports today. They bored my cylinder for $80 plus $16 shipping to and from there. Although shipping sucked, the cheapest place around here to bore cylinders was $80 a hole. I'm happy with what they did. The chamfering looks amazing.

Since I had the engine ripped apart to port it, I decided that the cylinders were getting close to the wear limit. I searched for piston deals for a while and managed to snag some 81.50mm Wiseco's for cheaper than any cast piston I could find. I assembled everything today....twice because I forgot the base gasket the first time.

Attachments

• 000_0746[1].jpg
    000_0746[1].jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 151

Waternut

Customizing addict
LOL Cut me some slack... I had the engine on this big piece of cardboard so it wouldn't mess up the carpet like last winter when I rebuilt the kawi engine. But, while I was covering everything in oil, the 1 gallon jug of 2 stroke oil spilled on the carpet so I got a bit side tracked. I got the cylinder on both pistons and began to slide it down and did one of these... :banghead: Murphy's Law has been killing me lately.

Yeah I painted it yellow so I'm keeping that.

N3vrSat1sfied

Military Member
yea i didnt want to scroll threw but i thought you painted it yellow. that will look good. We need to do a ride cause i really want to ride you 750 and compare mine and yours. that is after mine is done ofcourse.

Waternut

Customizing addict
I'm all for it. I'm currently looking into the possibility of buying a lakehouse (aka can I afford it). If that happens you guys are welcome to come hang out on weekends.

N3vrSat1sfied

Military Member
that would be cool. well we should atleast meet up at daytona or something if we are there at the same time. Travis and i are only going for one of the days he has dogs to take care of.

Waternut

Customizing addict
I'm going to have to pass on Lake Torch... WOW that's a long way! :shocked:

Actually though, if you want a beautiful lake that's closer, Lake Keowee in SC is really nice (and warmer). I was testing out a ski for a friend there last summer and the water is so blue, it looks fake. Easily the clearest lake in SC. I don't think the words "clear lake" exist in GA.

Top Bottom