John's budget SJ build

Waternut

Customizing addict
Finally some more progress... I've been struggling trying to figure out the best way to mount the footholds. I think the best option now is to foam everything and just form it around the holds. That way I can fiberglass them in.

Funny thing is I decided I would go with XFT's because they'd be easier to install, not realizing that a RN and SN tray was different.

However, if these will keep my feet in place it'll be worth it because all my major injuries have been caused from slipping out of the holds. Even when I was jumping high and had clean landings in Daytona, I was slipping out of the holds on landing and chewing up my shins.

Attachments

• 101_6752.jpg
    101_6752.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 203
  • 101_6753.jpg
    101_6753.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 161
  • 101_6754.jpg
    101_6754.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 107

tbaer

USMC
you may want to rip that turf out of there so you can get a nice overlap with the glass to seal them up tight. xft's are known to leak! just returf them when you do your tray.

Waternut

Customizing addict
I thought about returfing them and I think it might be more trouble than it's worth. The bends on the turf are pretty sharp. It would certainly make glassing them in easier so I haven't ruled them out.

Waternut

Customizing addict
I went ahead and took Travis's advise and have ripped the turf off the XFT footholds. I believe fiberglassing inside the holds in place using the area under the turf is the best option. It will keep the holds in place and it will make the back end look better. The turf however...well that's going to be a different story.

Anyone wanna trade services? I'll defoam your ski...you turf mine. Seriously! I hate turfing.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
I might be able to work something out with you. Brande's ski needs footholds.

God knows you have a turfing disability.

Waternut

Customizing addict
I'm finally on the home stretch!! The footholds have been glassed in place! Tommorrow when the resin is cured and I get my shipment from uscomposites, I'll see if I need to add another layer or two but for now, I'm out of resin.

The right foothold is maybe 1/4"-1/2" further forward than the right but oh well. :doh: I probably won't even notice since I went OCD on my kawi after seeing this and noticed the right hold on there is slightly futher forward as well. The holds are roughly 1.5"-2" further forward than they would normally be if installed the way XFT's are supposed to be.

Attachments

• 101_6759[1].jpg
    101_6759[1].jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 101_6760[1].jpg
    101_6760[1].jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 101_6761[1].jpg
    101_6761[1].jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 125

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
my footholds are the same way, about a 1/4 inch different.

i thought i would notice but i never have.

i would recommend a second layer of glass on there..... why skimp and have them leak after all that work.

Waternut

Customizing addict
They've got two layers of glass right now but the fabric is really thin. It's not as thin as the fiberglass weave you'd buy from walmart but it's close.

tbaer

USMC
looking good john! jordan and i spent a few hours turfin my ski saturday i still have the rails to do and one side left. turf was kickin my azz! measure 6 times cut 11.lol

SkiDiggity

formerly kawirider142
dang build is looking good i am doing a sn build as well but paint wise i am doing lime green with a white bottom with BITE ME down the middle. Decided to go with tangelo numbers outlined in purple i am currently waiting to do some glass work then some more sanding and on to paint :) Btw did you get kenny keepers?

Waternut

Customizing addict
Btw did you get kenny keepers?

quick question what did you use to sand your whole ski? did you wet sand it with 320 grit sand paper?
Did you do it all by hand?

No I do not have kenny keepers for this ski... Wish me luck.

I didn't wet sand anything and I'd still be sanding if I did it by hand (or even an electrical jitter sander). I used a 6" dual action air sander with 80 grit paper and it still took 2-3 days of maybe 2-3 hours a day. However, I sanded all the way down to the fiberglass because I painted my 750 over the gelcoat and the gelcoat was what lifted so I didn't want that again.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
You need some kenney keepers. The first time you get too steep of an angle on a sub when going at any speed, the motor will flex forward, breaking your coupler and maybe a motor mount or two. Trust me, I've been there and it sucks. Kenney keepers are worth their weight in gold.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Looks good. Turf won't be a problem. Unless you put some drains in, I'd overdo it on the fiberglass too.

I'm going to fiberglass an extra layer or two tonight and hopefully finish painting it tommorrow. After that, I'll be ready to drop it off at your place sometime...and pick up Brande's if it's ready.

PS - I've got plenty of this blue paint if you want your ski done with that. It's a single stage paint so it's not as high of quality as tbears with the clearcoat but it's still better than average. If you want something else though, you'll need to supply the paint.

Waternut

Customizing addict
I'm trying to figure out what makes Kenny Keepers so expensive... Just looks like an anodized piece of metal that the bed plate hits if the engine starts to rock forward. Is that all it is?

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
everything blowsion is expensive, but these are a must IMHO.

Top Bottom