Kennay's 760 powered Squarenose total rebuild

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
Well, this ski is getting the works. I have a 62T/64X engine lined up to go in it, along with #.0's tray, WCF front sponsons, new foam, and major reinforcements.

I stripped it weeks ago, but I set a few things in place so you could get an idea of what it looked like before I did anything to it. :)

Attachments

• build3.jpg
    build3.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 198
  • buld2.jpg
    buld2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 195
  • build1.jpg
    build1.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
Whoever set up this boat needs to be drop kicked in the face by Chuck Norris. I've never seen such piss poor prep work for paint in my life. I'm surprised they even disassembled it before painting. They painting over tons of adhesive, and half ass fixed spots with cracks and such. They also used crap fillers that were very sloppily applied all around the underside of the rub rail and at the bulkhead on the inside. I chipped alot of it away. They also damaged the front, patched it with crap on the outside, and did absolutely nothing for the inside. If anybody knows who set this thing up, please slap em for me :D It's definitely a work in progress, and it's going to take a while to complete.

Attachments

• build4.jpg
    build4.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 99
  • build5.jpg
    build5.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 79
  • build6.jpg
    build6.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 79
  • build7.jpg
    build7.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 138
  • build8.jpg
    build8.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 181

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
more

Attachments

• build9.jpg
    build9.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 88
  • build10.jpg
    build10.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 58
  • build11.jpg
    build11.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 84
  • build12.jpg
    build12.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 67
  • build13.jpg
    build13.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 100

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
I can't emphasize enough how well the attatchment on the grinder worked. You only need light pressure, because it WILL dig in deep very fast. It only takes one pass to get past the adhesive, primer, and gelcoat. The disc I used was 120 grit. I figure it will be awesome for the epoxy to adhere to when I patch it all up.

I was just messing around, seeing what I was up against with the rib removal. As I expected, it's pretty much cake.

Attachments

• build14.jpg
    build14.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 117
  • build17.jpg
    build17.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 131
  • build16.jpg
    build16.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 109
  • buld15.jpg
    buld15.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 163

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
Fun fun, and I even included a friendly reminder

Attachments

• build19.jpg
    build19.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 122
  • build20.jpg
    build20.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 148
  • build21.jpg
    build21.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 154
  • build22.jpg
    build22.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 82
  • build23.jpg
    build23.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 118

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
This was about all the fun I could stand for 4 hours, so I decided to call it quits for the day. I am supposed to go fishing offshore tomorrow weather permitting, but if I don't, it will be back to work on this thing and more pics tomorrow.

Also, you people with girlfriends that help out are lucky :eek:

All my wrenchin' partner does it look cute and stare at me all funny like :eek:

Attachments

• build24.jpg
    build24.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 81
  • build25.jpg
    build25.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 132
  • build26.jpg
    build26.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 169
  • useless.jpg
    useless.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 121
  • useless2.jpg
    useless2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 139

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
Yea, you gotta be carefull with the grinder. Especially with 60 or 80 grit.

No doubt. I did a test spot in the tray, and it went right on down in there. Light pressure is too much even, all you need is contact and POOF, it's gone.

It would have probably taken me about 15 minutes to remove all that crap from the tray if I had started with the grinder first.

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
Hi ,
What engine set up are you planning ? I am curious to know.

Chris

62t/64x 760, new 84mm pro-x pistons, new hot rods crank, dual 46mm Team Scream carbs, Vforce 2 reeds and blocks, Either a B pipe, or a dry pipe by Speedworx or Factory. 6M6/61x Electrical setup (Because I already have all of it)

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
Just for the record... I did a bit more defoaming today, I can't do much more until I get my footholds to know how much I can cut out of the rear of the tray.

Can anyone recommend a good acetone brand that will help remove this foam adhesive type stuff left behind? I have ACE brand, and it's normally very very good as far as taking off scuffs, and old adhesive. I can't get it to even touch this stuff though. I've also tried a quality brake parts cleaner with no luck.

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
So... I didn't take any pics, but I went ahead and cut the whole tray out. I also have all of the foam out and I need to sand to get that last fine later. I am planning to sand one afternoon this week, then go ahead and start the reinforcement on another afternoon.

This week in the afternoons, I sanded every spot that the sander I have could get to. I still have some work to do around the chines. Other than that, it will be all hand sanding in the hard to reach spots from here.

Last edited:

madscientist

chilling with these guys.
i'm glad i did not get that boat (looked at it and the owner backed out on the trade)

looking good though

sorry we did not get up in daytona. try to mak it to the chicken bone in april

Lucas

Surf Junkie
Keep plugging away at it man!! You'll be done before you know it! Looks like its gonna cool back off, And you probably have plenty of time to get it done before it warms up, I dont know about you but the little warm spell we had was hard to take not being able to ride!

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
Oh yeah. The good and bad thing about it is I am a little anal about projects and such. I'm the type that if I am spending all the time and money on it, it has to be perfect. That's slowing progress down considerably.

I also pulled out the exhaust tube the other day, and today I pulled cooling lines under the tray, and the steering cable tube. I couldn't believe how cheaply Yamaha did with sealing all that stuff up. :(

An afternoon sanding back there, and I think i am going to go glassing! tehe

Last edited:

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
Looking at all those pics, I got a ********LOAD of stuff done these last two days haha. I won't be able to work on it tomorrow after work. I have the neighbor's seapoo in there awaiting some TLC. The battery keeps dying even after riding for a few hours. I'm thinking it's either the trim system staying on and draining the battery, or either the voltage regulator is bad. It is a 1996 SPX and it is THE cleanest used seadoo I have ever seen in my life.

Top Bottom