Legal Oceanside Surf Riding Spot

i still think this is a stupid as$ idea. oside freeride? most certainly not free. WTH is wrong with what we have now??? you dont like waking up early? what is it? someone got in trouble? how is this any different then when zack n jake had everyone out to ride their new krash skis? everyone rode out of the harbor... convince me why this is a good idea.
and for the record im always stoked on a freeride but the logistics of oside just dont work.

i know you know what a freeride is so why do you keep comparing it to what we have now....? in case you havnt read, we arnt trying to get a full time spot, we just want to do a one weekend type of idea. and there is ways to be free.

I think im more confused on why you wouldnt like to hang out on the beach for one weekend out of the year in oceanside and ride your ski.

alright alright alrightttt

So i had a really fun conversation with the gentlemen larry who runs all of the special events in oceanside. To put it simply he HATES jetskis. As soon as the word jetski came out of my mouth, he simply told me they were not interested. The answer of we are not interested does not satisfy me so we eneded talking for about 30 minutes.

im sure everyone is curious as to why no event comes here, so let me enlighten you. I had heard the the number 1 reason that oceanside did not want an event was because of the "low turn out" of the previous event. Yes that was part of the problem, but according to larry a very very small part. He basically told me the last events held here were complete poop shows. He said the promoter at the time had no control over riders, riders didn't stay in the boundaries, filled up fuel on the shore line ect. basically broke every rule which upset the police who had to step up along with life guards. Along with all of that somehow we managed to piss off all of the surfers at the same time who complained that riding in the surf is illegal and it shouldn't be condoned. After the last event the harbor police and life guards got together and said no more. and that's where we are. He told me that because of a "few bad apples, it has ruined it for everyone." he went on about how every jetski event has been like this, a compilation of broken promises and bad behavior. After reading through the lines i asked him if i miraculously got the harbor police and life guards on board would there be a chance of an event. He told me if i could make a miracle and make that happen then yes it is possible.

I was slightly bummed because i have met most of the other guys who ride oceanside frequently and i can say we have a good group. Somehow they think we are the biggest a$sholes in the world. He said the harbor police still knows a few specific skiers by name that are always "pushing the envelope" of the rules.

If anyone has ins with lifeguard or harbor police speak up. ill be going down soon to talk to them.

naticen

Site Supporter
Good luck. Sounds like you have the right mindset and know how to communicate with people. You can definitely accomplish it if you keep with those qualities and keep your frustrations at bay.

Ok, so I've been reading all these post and I guess it's time to speak up. I was an Oceanside beach lifeguard for nine years. I remember watching the event in 2004 from the lifeguard truck. I've always loved riding skis and if the lifeguard division had a problem with it than it is news to me. Maybe the higher ups had a problem that I was totally unaware of. I no longer work as a lifeguard but I have many connections with people down at the beach. As for having a place to ride legally in Oceanside I think it's going to be a huge uphill battle. Maybe a freeride event is a good place to start.

Marker Motorsports

Grip it and Rip it!
I am glad that the decision is going after a free ride instead of a legal riding spot, bc that will never happen. I am surprised that you guys didn't know the city hates jet skis? That has basically been our point from some of the locals that have been around for 15 years. Tanner is right, its going to be super hard, but I would say there is a 10-15 percent chance. I would say between Tanner and I, we probably know each of the staff on the lifeguards and harbor patrol that would make the decision. The problem I have with it, is the using the connections, any issues fall right back on us, not the people they don't know. So what is the plan for parking, where exactly are you thinking the event should be located? Something more specific than between the pier and harbor.

And you are right, some of the lifeguards/harbor patrol mainly, know a few people by name, especially bc of the issue a year or two ago with Zack, Jake and Stanton. It was more that they got cited and skis got impounded by the mega cop of all who I got a bicycle ticket from A very expensive one at that. If it would have been about any other officer, it would have been a lot easier and they would have looked away. People that ride O'side need to understand that. Half of the harbor patrol looks the other way bc there is so few of us. I know 2 of them totally hate us as a group. The Freeride would have to go perfect with no hassle, or they are gonna crack down on our day to day riding.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
It might help if you got some of the numbers together from the Pismo and other free ride events. Show them how much money it pumps into the local economy.

i cant imagine trying to ride skis in that surfer crazed, tree hugging, enviro nazi state! i can understand both sides here. you cant know whats possible without trying but on the other hand fearful of shining an unwanted spotlight on your current setup. best of luck to you and i hope something positive comes from your efforts.

i have to admit i was extremely concerned about the daytona freeride having a negative impact on our jetski zones, but so far so good.

It might help if you got some of the numbers together from the Pismo and other free ride events. Show them how much money it pumps into the local economy.

Well I talked to the city administrator for Daytona and the permits was for 500 people and they believe more showed up. I told the Oceanside director this and he basically called me a liar and said there had to be another event because no one shows up for jetskis. I told him believe it or not people showed up for it and the city of Daytona said they let it happen because it creates revenue. He said that was a lie. It's hard to talk to the man signing the paperwork when he tells me everything I said was wrong, even though I just got off the phone with the city of Daytona

Byeai

"Cheetos-Man"
U have plenty of videos of the Daytona freeride and even wavedaze show him pictures of world finals ppl will come just have to start the ride and get it going but I bet alot would go to the west coast show him blowsion surf slam and show him greyland open and prismo ride I'm sure there's 500 of West coast guys that would go easy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Well I talked to the city administrator for Daytona and the permits was for 500 people and they believe more showed up. I told the Oceanside director this and he basically called me a liar and said there had to be another event because no one shows up for jetskis. I told him believe it or not people showed up for it and the city of Daytona said they let it happen because it creates revenue. He said that was a lie. It's hard to talk to the man signing the paperwork when he tells me everything I said was wrong, even though I just got off the phone with the city of Daytona

That sounds rough. Stay positive and kept on truckin on. Maybe find out what it takes to get on the counsel and make decisions?

High Speed Industries

Your one stop shop for quality parts @highspeedind
Maybe you could tell them that this would be an alcohol free event, or organize a beach cleanup with the freeride. If you can show that jet ski riders are able to clean up after themselves, or even make the area cleaner than it was before you might have a chance. I'd pick up trash for an hour if that would help. They would probably be stoked about something like that. All we need is to show that our event can somehow have a positive environmental impact. I know all of our skis are two strokes, but maybe we can mix vegetable oil at 40:1 for this ride. Gotta keep the tree huggers happy. Another idea would make this a charity ride, maybe have all permit money go to a save the whales fund. We just have to show that we are interested in saving the planet and that we are not assholes. This might be a big challenge but I think it can be done.

All very good ideas. Event would def be alcohol free (at least hidden very well). I am fathering info from Daytona and grey land but all of it will be useless without the lifeguards and police on board

That is a good question, how do I get on the city council....

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
All very good ideas. Event would def be alcohol free (at least hidden very well). I am fathering info from Daytona and grey land but all of it will be useless without the lifeguards and police on board

That is a good question, how do I get on the city council....

With social media and how the city needs someone to represent the youth and new ideas blah blah hope change etc you might have a fighting chance. ;)

Mark44

Katie's Boss
Can you get the Daytona city officials to write you a letter of recommendation maybe lifeguard also? Perhaps Yamaslut could help. I think this would go a long way.

Byeai

"Cheetos-Man"
Wave daze has a small zone on the beach where all the gas cans go and they have a box with a tarp and sand over the tarp to catch spilled gas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Some times you have a$$ holes that show up. That loves to get Drunk Not follow the rules and challenges the authorities. Not to mention ride sea doo 3 d's to a stand up event. I hope you guys make this happen. So I can come.

Sorry I am that a$$ hole

Our group of riders has organized wavedaze for 5 yrs or so,the last couple yrs 2 events a yr. This has done little for city relations in achieving a permanent ride, If anything we have lost ground,they give a group of vollyball players precedence of beach area right in front of our host hotel and most time they dont even show up. We go by the book and setup fueling stations midway up the beach with moat traps lined in plastic,fire extinguishers galore. The event is always went off with out a hitch, Trust us,if you want to even try and get any kind of zone at all,with out a lawyer and spending some dough it will never get a second look by the powers that be....

Anything new on this. Also is it illegal to ride the surf in Oceanside because I hear about people doing it all the time, personally I've never been out there. Would like to go though

Top Bottom