Lone Star Free Ride 2011 Roll call and info:

Melmack

(Timothy)
Swapmeet: Wish you where coming. Still think you should come anyway Chris and I are bringing 4 skis minimum for the two of us. We have a nice blaster you can ride and youve got to try this 300. But I understand. For sure well have to go down again this summer. Plus, unlike last year, well probably do a fall freeride.

Melmack

(Timothy)
More clarification on the rules. This time from the Chief of Police for Port A:

You may launch from the beach south of Access Road 1 (Pole 27), but may not operate within 250 feet of the shore north of Access Rd. 1, nor within 50 feet of the shore south of Access Rd. 1 except at headway speed. Nor can you operate within 50 feet of any swimmers, fisherman, etc.

You may also want to review the Texas Water safety Act for other regulations concerning operations of PWC’s. The link is at http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_l2000_0014.pdf

Scott Burroughs

Chief of Police

Port Aransas Police Department

705 West Avenue A

Port Aransas, Texas 78373

(361) 749-6241

Peter123

C-Note
Got the carb rebuilt last night and the chinpad done; however, the ski still isn't running right. Rough idle like its on one cylinder, but revs good. Tried different start/stop switch, new plugs, compression good, checked plug boots. Going to pull the ebox tonight and take a look at its condition. Smoofer suggested it may also be ground cable. Very frustrating. It was running great last time I had it out until the very end where it started running rough and didn't have power. I hoped the carb rebuild would fix that, but no.

Peter - I actually had a clog fuel filter do this to me =) when it idles the dirt reformed !

Swapmeet- I have a bone stock 650 SJ you can mess with if you want to come out . Don't mind sharing just bring the oil and gas!

Peter123

C-Note
If you're referring to the filter in the Mikuni, I replaced it with the one from the OEM rebuild kit. My inline filter between tank and carb is good.

Melmack

(Timothy)
We where at 28 or so last year I believe. Thats nice and close to the road. 10 markers down seems a little far considering we have written permission from both the Cheif of police and the deputy city manager this time. Lets make it arround 30? That way we don't have to drive too far? What do you think?

Last edited:
Not gonna make it. Hope the surf's awesome for ya. Hoping to be back on a ski sometime this summer but still havn't quite recovered enough to be pounded in the surf. Hope to see y'all in the fall.

Peter123

C-Note
My carb rebuild kit just arrived. Hurray.

Now.
1. Rebuild carb - Done
2. Mod chinpad for shortened pole. - Done
3. Install foot straps - Done
4. Install new bilge switch. - DONE
5. Install new start/stop switch - Maybe at LSFR
6. Limiting rope - Thursday night after arrival at LSFR

And, today I'm taking my SUV to the shop to have the tranny rebuilt so I'll have a way to pull the trailer and ski to Port A.

Is putting $2,000 into a vehicle with 260,000 miles a good idea? Probably not. lol

SUV - Done.

Well, I'm basically done.

I'm still having an issue where the ski turns over slow as if the battery is low and a rough idle, but we'll see what happens.

I've checked everything except the coil and stator (it just got too late). While switching out the CDI, I found a decent amount of corrosion on the starter relay which may explain why there have been a couple of times where I've hit the start button and absolutely nothing. We cleaned that up, and I'll replace it after (or maybe during) LSFR.

Since it seems to run great once rev'd (with no load anyways), I'm just going to take it and see what happens in the water. Worst thing is that I'm sitting on the beach drinking beer and getting fatter.

If Smoofer's ski isn't ready, I'm to blame (along with UPS). I stole at least an hour of his time last night and the night before. His upgrades are looking great, and I can guarantee that I'd buy a used ski from him. He's all about doing it right.

I'll be leaving for LSFR tomorrow.

Last edited:
I approve

well, i'm basically done.

I'm still having an issue where the ski turns over slow as if the battery is low and a rough idle, but we'll see what happens.

I've checked everything except the coil and stator (it just got too late). While switching out the cdi, i found a decent amount of corrosion on the starter relay which may explain why there have been a couple of times where i've hit the start button and absolutely nothing. We cleaned that up, and i'll replace it after (or maybe during) lsfr.

Since it seems to run great once rev'd (with no load anyways), i'm just going to take it and see what happens in the water. Worst thing is that i'm sitting on the beach drinking beer and getting fatter.

If smoofer's ski isn't ready, i'm to blame (along with ups). I stole at least an hour of his time last night and the night before. His upgrades are looking great, and i can guarantee that i'd buy a used ski from him. He's all about doing it right.

I'll be leaving for lsfr tomorrow.

The Penguin

triple secret probation
I'll check tonight and see if I have a relay.

I remember having one that I thought was bad and I replaced it with a new one. It ended up testing out as good afterwards. I might still have it, but for some reason I'm thinking I might have given it to AssJoel.

Top Bottom