Other Looks like 15% ethanol is coming soon...

maybe but they don't drive on the water. Ethanol and water are a bad mix.

Very. Ethanol and water react and the ethanol solidifies and falls out of the gas solution. And it doesnt mix back in. Cars are driven often enough to where its not noticeable plus not much water can get inside a cars tank easily.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Ride harder and the ethanol won't have time to absorb water... Seriously though, if water does happen to get in your gas tank, where do you think it goes if the ethanol doesn't absorb it? It's not going to evaporate sitting in your sealed tank in the garage especially since water is denser and sits on the bottom of the gas. More likely, you'll suck up that water when you first fire up the ski and suck in a high percentage of water which will certainly cause problems where as the 10-15% ethanol will absorb very minor amounts of water which will inevitably be like hitting your carb with a fine mist of water since it'll be mixed evenly. Been running the 10% ethanol for 3 years and haven't had a single noticeable adverse effect from it yet. I wouldn't mind trying E85 if I ever get around to making a custom tank that will hold more than 2 gallons in my ski.

I don't claim to know a lot about fuels but that's how I see it happening. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't notice a difference between 0% ethanol and 10% ethanol so I have a hard believing that an additional 5% is going to make everything quit running.

Schmidty721

someone turf my rails
15% ethanol wasn't passed for use in all applications and therefore the pumps will still contain fuel that is 10% ethanol or offer recreational fuel that contains no ethanol. I want to say it was only passed for 2001-up vehicles at this time, but don't quote me on that.

That being said, I'm setting my ski up to run E85 this summer. Cheap fuel that will make good power.

here you go:

WASHINGTON – The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) today waived a limitation on selling gasoline that contains more than 10 percent ethanol for model year (MY) 2001 through 2006 passenger vehicles, including cars, SUVs, and light pickup trucks. The waiver applies to fuel that contains up to 15 percent ethanol – known as E15. EPA Administrator Lisa P. Jackson made the decision after a review of the Department of Energy’s thorough testing and other available data on E15’s effect on emissions from MY 2001 through 2006 cars and light trucks.

“Recently completed testing and data analysis show that E15 does not harm emissions control equipment in newer cars and light trucks,” said EPA Administrator Lisa P. Jackson. “Wherever sound science and the law support steps to allow more home-grown fuels in America’s vehicles, this administration takes those steps.”

On October 13, 2010, EPA approved a waiver allowing the use of E15 for MY 2007 and newer cars and light trucks. At that time, EPA denied a request to allow the use of E15 for MY 2000 and older vehicles and postponed its decision on the use of E15 in MY 2001 to 2006 cars and light trucks until DOE completed additional testing for those model years.

The Agency also announced that no waiver is being granted this year for E15 use in any motorcycles, heavy-duty vehicles, or non-road engines because current testing data does not support such a waiver.

These waivers represent one of a number of actions that are needed from federal, state and industry to commercialize E15 gasoline blends. Also, EPA is developing requirements to ensure that E15 is properly labeled at the gas pump. The label will be designed to prevent refueling into vehicles, engines, and equipment not currently approved for the higher ethanol blend.

Ethanol is an alcohol that can be mixed with gasoline to result in a cleaner-burning fuel. E15 is a blend of 15 percent ethanol and 85 percent gasoline. The primary source of ethanol is corn, but other grains or biomass sources may be used such as corn cobs, cornstalks, and switchgrass.

The Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 mandated an increase in the overall volume of renewable fuels into the marketplace, reaching a 36 billion gallon total in 2022. Ethanol is considered a renewable fuel because it is produced from plant products or wastes and not from fossil fuels. Ethanol is blended with gasoline for use in most areas across the country.

EPA granted the waiver after considering the E15 petition submitted by Growth Energy and 54 ethanol manufacturers in March 2009. In April 2009, EPA sought public comment on the petition and received about 78,000 comments.

The petition was submitted under a Clean Air Act provision that allows EPA to waive the act’s prohibition against the sale of a significantly altered fuel if the petitioner shows that the new fuel will not cause or contribute to the failure of engine and other emission-related parts that ensure compliance with emission standards.

Last edited:
Im not sure if this is reliable at all but i just googled a little to try and read up on the side effects of ethanol and came across this quote
"Since using over 10 % alcohol gas is dangerous, it will invalidate all marine company engine warranties."

I dont know much about the subject but i have read that the alcohol is very good as sucking moisture out of the air and into your gas

from what i know being compatible for ethanol fuel has more top do with the materials your fuel system is made of i.e if there are rubber components in your fuel lines you shouldn't run ethanol fuels as the ethanol degrades the rubber causing fuel leaks at least thats how it works here inregards to cars. So rubber fuel lines in jetskis rule out using ethanol (safely/reliably)

Matty

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
EtOH sucks!
I avoid it at all costs
Worst comes to worst I can always go by the drag track and get some 110 lo lead ; )

AtomicPunk

Lifetime bans are AWESOME
Site Supporter
Biggest problem I see, if water gets in gas, ethanol is "attracted" more to the water than gas, causing separation. So now you are trying to run ethanol and water (which is corrosive) through your motor. Plus when it separates, it strips the "varnish" on some fuel system components which flows downstream and clogs your fuel filters (if installed)

Oh, did I mention you are left with gas that has a lower octane rating? I am not about to run low octane gas through my motor.

decent source of info on how it effects Marine engines:
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/faq/faqanswer/14/19/1/answers.aspx

Gimme octane free gas and lower my corn prices!:usa:

I don't see too much down side of alcohol fuel in a 2 stroke motor because we run oil for lubrication for our motor and that would take care of o-rings and diaprams, you just need to use oil that mixes with alcohol. And if you would run e85 you have 100 plus octane at .50 cheaper a gal. than 87 octane it just uses about 20% more fuel so you need to jet for it and a bigger tank would be nice. Everybody seems to be worried about getting water in our fuel tanks, but that happens sometimes already and what is the additive that you use to get water out of fuel tanks on cars? (rubbing alcohol) And for it to pass through our motors water injections has been around for years to help on dentonation and carbon and cooling on high comp. and blower motors. It just seems the big problem is using it without lubrication in the fuel and jetting. Just my 2 cents!

Last edited:
Top Bottom