Surfriding Mag pumps in surf boats

Its all about the surf!
Kevin I absolutely LOVED my mag pump for surf riding!!!! Even though they were originally designed for racing, they really shine in the whitewater in the surf. The only reason I sold mine was because, like already mentioned the Skat Trak mag has a SS liner pressed into the OEM Aluminum housing, which when ridden in the salt gets electrolisis and goes south pretty quick. If the one you have is a Skat, sell it to someone who mainly rides fresh water, if its one of the Solas all SS then throw it in and never look back!!!

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
SPort,this thread is UNACCEPTABLE!!! You cannot run a mag pump in the surf! Ask Wab,he lists this as well as a SHORT,STIFF Pole as other UNACCEPTABLE SURF MODS.

Please sell your pump and throw a stocker in her........................:nana:

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Lol, Idok was the one that first convinced me that the Mag was no good in the surf and Butti convinced me to stick with it and make it work. You gotta know how to break the ski loose with a mag but once you do, it's the best of both worlds.

Since mine is an 8 vien it may be a little better in the surf than a 12 .... I'm throwing it in and riding it in the lake tomorrow just to see . Thanks for the input guys . Seems like it's split half and half .... as usual .

Lol, Idok was the one that first convinced me that the Mag was no good in the surf and Butti convinced me to stick with it and make it work. You gotta know how to break the ski loose with a mag but once you do, it's the best of both worlds.

thats because butti runs an EIGHT vein kawi pump

mine was/is a 12

if you are just flipping and pseudo-surf riding mags are fine and great..yes they give 110% better hookup in the whitewash

the downside in MY opinion on a mag in the surf is the violent hookup........if you are trying to wall ride a nice vert face and you tickle the throttle wrong with a mag you hook, get pitched and eat :):):):)........a stocker in the same situtation will "spin the tires" (aka cavitate) and allow you to finish that 30' rail slide

after about 2-3 sessions when the rider is starting to wear this becomes even harder to handle...especially with both feet locked into the holds ;-)

You all can have your mag pumps for surf all you want...I like my :):):):) to slip slide spin and be loosy goosy

in fact..if anyone wants my non-setback 144 skat mag pm me Ill sell it

Last edited:

tightithrash

Zack Bright. I Thrash.
Site Supporter
you guys are funny.

my ski slides.... if i want it to. key word want.

its throttle control. burst the throttle and crank the bars, your sliding.

i would rather have hook up on my side to get out of situations vs hitting the gas and having the pump do nothing. on a wall,slash, whitewash, re-entry. anything.

to me the pump is only a benefit.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
miyagi-773738.jpg

Why yo no follow surf rider advice, why you alway go path less travel, why you no follow sensei advice, you no get pebble Danielson.

AtomicPunk

Lifetime bans are AWESOME
Site Supporter
Since mine is an 8 vien it may be a little better in the surf than a 12 .... I'm throwing it in and riding it in the lake tomorrow just to see . Thanks for the input guys . Seems like it's split half and half .... as usual .

How will a lake tell you if it will be good in surf?

you guys are funny.

my ski slides.... if i want it to. key word want.

its throttle control. burst the throttle and crank the bars, your sliding.

i would rather have hook up on my side to get out of situations vs hitting the gas and having the pump do nothing. on a wall,slash, whitewash, re-entry. anything.

to me the pump is only a benefit.

This is what we find to be true as well,I ride 2 sj skis one with a 140 and the other 148,both 12 veins and proped low I find both to be awesome for surf.Way better last second hookup of the lip for re intres and barrels. way better control landing in the foam and powering out,I have no issue sliding wave faces with throttle control,ripping lips and anything else.
I even have a double setback stock ported pump that works great in surf,does fantastic in white water with a full extra wear ring of water to compact.it did make the front nose alot more loose and slippery on the face. But I think hull type and setup makes a much bigger diff,nothing slips like a rockered hull no matter the pump,loose the top loader grate and throw some tubbies on and its even more loose. shortin the plate helps a bit as well

Maxx pump is solid stainless at liner and outer stator housing .Stator and liner are not pressed in , they are solid stainless . Only part of Maxx pump that is aluminum is center hub bearing carrier . Probably the best salt water pump made . Even oem pumps have pressed in wear ring liners .
AS far as mag pumps go I will not ride anything but a mag pump . I dont think there is anything such as to much hookup . Possibly to much power is the problem for some people , and right index finger controls that .

Kevin I absolutely LOVED my mag pump for surf riding!!!! Even though they were originally designed for racing, they really shine in the whitewater in the surf. The only reason I sold mine was because, like already mentioned the Skat Trak mag has a SS liner pressed into the OEM Aluminum housing, which when ridden in the salt gets electrolisis and goes south pretty quick. If the one you have is a Skat, sell it to someone who mainly rides fresh water, if its one of the Solas all SS then throw it in and never look back!!!

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
Got to agree with Zack and LegDragger: throttle control!!! l ride mostly flatwater with surf trips 3 or 4 times a year.The Freak has been 3 times this year to the coast.Solas 12 vane mag,60 pound hull running a baby scream.
ZERO problems with the mag pushing me.

Ease up on the finger non believers!

Top Bottom