Making of the SNX Hull

Thanks Shaun! The one I was just working on is just a jig for lining up where the the bolt holes on the poles will be drilled, so I shouldn't need to make another for awhile. However the 12" aluminum plate with the 1/8" holes spaced on 0.5" centers that gets laminated into the poles, I might want to outsource. It takes me an hour or so to cut the plate, heat it and bend it, and then drill all of those holes.

f4d78e530fa775beb7c7656a3832fb5d.jpg

I do it all manually with a 3" cut off wheel, cheapo mapp/oxy torch, ratchet strap (don't laugh), and bench grinder. Far from the proper setup. I am looking into using a solid carbon layup in the tongue with either a multi layer Soric core setup or a 6mm soric core. If that works out I would avoid using the 6061 plate altogether. If not, I will definitely outsource the work once I offer the poles for sale.

I also need to find someone who can do small run CNC milling. The pole has a very short tongue, so the steering cable mount sits inside the pole and requires that it is elevated slightly to get it to the correct angle. I have to hand cut and drill/tap 1" wide bar stock right now. Again, using a drill press with an absurd amount of play in the spindle. I have a two piece clamping design I need to sit down and draw in solidworks and then find someone to cut them. I'll post a picture later of what I am using now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

u need to get your self a band saw or a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade. cutoff wheel is not the way to do it. alum will just get way to hot and clogg your abrasives. again i could make that part also in less then half an hour. what thickness plate are you using, i might have scrap/remnant pieces lying around. we also have 3 hass vmc if interested in other parts. our shop is slow right now.

edit: also forgot to mention how envious i am of your glass/carbon skills. we will be implementing composites in the future so as not to stay behind the competition.

I have a jigsaw, but it's a piece. I need to invest in some better equipment.

I'm using 3/16 6061 for the interlaminate plate.

Honeycomb would create thickness, but it would require a hand layup method. Most of the stuff I have looked into is open cell. If you attempt to infuse that you add a bunch of weight as all of those cells fill with resin. I've had good success with soric XF so far. It's a closed cell core/inter laminate flow media. Adds a tremendous amount of stiffness for a very small gain in weight.

And thanks! I'm just as envious of some of the fine machine work you guys are doing. If I had the time to learn, I would pick up a mini mill. Once I get the drawings into solidworks I'll send you the file for the steering cable holder.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I have a jigsaw, but it's a piece. I need to invest in some better equipment.

I'm using 3/16 6061 for the interlaminate plate.

Honeycomb would create thickness, but it would require a hand layup method. Most of the stuff I have looked into is open cell. If you attempt to infuse that you add a bunch of weight as all of those cells fill with resin. I've had good success with soric XF so far. It's a closed cell core/inter laminate flow media. Adds a tremendous amount of stiffness for a very small gain in weight.

And thanks! I'm just as envious of some of the fine machine work you guys are doing. If I had the time to learn, I would pick up a mini mill. Once I get the drawings into solidworks I'll send you the file for the steering cable holder.

I have a bladerunner. It is to a jigsaw what a router is to a router table.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rockwell...ble-Tabletop-Saw-RK7323/205611390?N=5yc1vZ3d3

You could possibly seal the honeycomb aluminum before you infuse it. Maybe handlay a vacuum bagged wrap on it. It would both seal it for infusion and isolate it from the carbon.

I have a bladerunner. It is to a jigsaw what a router is to a router table.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rockwell...ble-Tabletop-Saw-RK7323/205611390?N=5yc1vZ3d3

You could possibly seal the honeycomb aluminum before you infuse it. Maybe handlay a vacuum bagged wrap on it. It would both seal it for infusion and isolate it from the carbon.

Nice!That's probably what I need to pick up. I'll check those out.

There is definitely a way to use the aluminum honeycomb, it's just how much more labor will be involved. If you seal the honeycomb 100%, then you have a resin impermeable core. Now the trick is how do you get a full saturation on 140oz of carbon with a 1/4" aluminum core. The same issue I had with the first pole that lead to drilling the holes for resin to pass through and isolating the feed line on the tongue. The next pole I build for myself will use all unidirectional IM8 carbon and two soric cores to build laminate thickness and rigidity in the tongue/turn plate area. Hopefully it will hold up and I can use it as an alternative to the aluminum plate. That would shave off 1-2 of the roughly 20 hours that it takes to build each pole.

Hey nate I have been following this for a while but not sure if I missed it. Have u gotten your ski on the water yet or still tryin to resolve the water box issue?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Nothing yet. It's on the project board. I'm sure something could be fabricated for a few different chin pads out there. For now the testers and myself will have to run without one. Plenty of superfreak owners are doing the same. Definitely will make a mold for one eventually, just haven't got there yet.

Top Bottom