Making of the SNX Hull

I'll get some once I get the hood all cleaned up. It's a year old now and has been sitting around the shop and used as a plug, so it's a little banged up. I'll hit it with a new clear and get some pics when I take it to the water.

For now this is all I have

c88981bb2d7dcd01f9c9b6fdf90adb27.jpg

I might hit the whole ski with sunshield. The nose got a bit of my "black tar bonding epoxy" and a little scrape during bonding. Also the blue twill is so stiff it prints through the polyurethane clear coat. Sunshield builds thicker and glosses out better than anything I've used. Great clear coat, I just don't like it for in mold coatings. It doesn't "bite" on high slip mold releases so it's a pain in the ass to lay down as an IMC if you're using a semi perm like frekote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkiDiggity

formerly kawirider142
I'll get some once I get the hood all cleaned up. It's a year old now and has been sitting around the shop and used as a plug, so it's a little banged up. I'll hit it with a new clear and get some pics when I take it to the water.

For now this is all I have

c88981bb2d7dcd01f9c9b6fdf90adb27.jpg

I might hit the whole ski with sunshield. The nose got a bit of my "black tar bonding epoxy" and a little scrape during bonding. Also the blue twill is so stiff it prints through the polyurethane clear coat. Sunshield builds thicker and glosses out better than anything I've used. Great clear coat, I just don't like it for in mold coatings. It doesn't "bite" on high slip mold releases so it's a pain in the ass to lay down as an IMC if you're using a semi perm like frekote.

Looks amazing! really like the lines and shape. Can't wait to read a ride report/see some footage!

Id fly down and supply you with cases on cases on cases for a carbon class!! Fo real!

Maybe one day I can hold a "build-a-hull workshop". Come down, learn some composites, help build your own hull, then have a little freeride at surfside over the weekend. Take home a new hull and some new composites knowledge. Sounds like a fun event.

Last edited:
Maybe one day I can hold a "build-a-hull workshop". Come down, learn some composites, help build your own hull, then have a little freeride at surfside over the weekend. Take home with a new hull and some new composites knowledge. Sounds like a fun event.

Where do i send my deposit...? Haha! Count me in.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Maybe one day I can hold a "build-a-hull workshop". Come down, learn some composites, help build your own hull, then have a little freeride at surfside over the weekend. Take home a new hull and some new composites knowledge. Sounds like a fun event.

YouTube

So while I had the pfp out to patch the breather holes, I decided to pressure test it. The seller seemed like a good guy and is well known and competes at the pro level, so when he sold me the pipe a year ago I took his word that everything was in tip top shape. I knew he had patched a leak, but I never really examined the patch job (that's on me). Turns out he didn't have it "welded" he had it "jb welded". I connected two of the outlets and blew into the other and sure enough air is leaking from his patch. I gently tap it with a flathead and it all falls off.

I tried to "weld" it back together with my Mapp/oxy torch (let's be honest, it's a fancy flame glow lighter), but that just made the old weld material separate from the metal even more. So this is what I have:

683af0301a57256497bb6ca74b5e2139.jpg

Besides sending this off to someone who can weld aluminum (trying to avoid that), what can be done to remedy this?

Honestly I'm finding out this whole PFP was a huge piece of poop and I should have examined it closer when I got it. If it wasn't for the year it sat on my shelf, I would be hitting the seller up for my money back and/or adding to the negative feedback forum. I think I paid $1k and it had a broken flow control valve, no couplers, clogged filter, clogged jet, jacked up waterbox, and now a ghetto rigged up patch. Not exactly the deal of a lifetime. Anyway, end of rant. Suggestions??

So while I had the pfp out to patch the breather holes, I decided to pressure test it. The seller seemed like a good guy and is well known and competes at the pro level, so when he sold me the pipe a year ago I took his word that everything was in tip top shape. I knew he had patched a leak, but I never really examined the patch job (that's on me). Turns out he didn't have it "welded" he had it "jb welded". I connected two of the outlets and blew into the other and sure enough air is leaking from his patch. I gently tap it with a flathead and it all falls off.

I tried to "weld" it back together with my Mapp/oxy torch (let's be honest, it's a fancy flame glow lighter), but that just made the old weld material separate from the metal even more. So this is what I have:

683af0301a57256497bb6ca74b5e2139.jpg

Besides sending this off to someone who can weld aluminum (trying to avoid that), what can be done to remedy this?

Honestly I'm finding out this whole PFP was a huge piece of poop and I should have examined it closer when I got it. If it wasn't for the year it sat on my shelf, I would be hitting the seller up for my money back and/or adding to the negative feedback forum. I think I paid $1k and it had a broken flow control valve, no couplers, clogged filter, clogged jet, jacked up waterbox, and now a ghetto rigged up patch. Not exactly the deal of a lifetime. Anyway, end of rant. Suggestions??

Your best bet is to just get it welded correctly it sucks but its better than buying another and should on cost like 30 to 50 bucks depending on who u know

If I had found this within a reasonable time frame, I would. I take responsibility for my lack of attention at the time of receiving the product. Benefit of the doubt, the seller didn't know and now a year later anything could have happened. I truthfully doubt he was unaware, but it's on me for not looking it over a year ago.

Another $50 and hopefully I don't have to mess with it again. Difficult part has been finding a local welder who works with aluminum and is willing to take a small project on.

Especially considering his sale thread didn't say anything about a repair...or "attempt to repair".

I don't recall if the sale thread did or did not. He did mention it at some point, but as I recall the letters "jb" were left off the description of the weld.

I don't recall if the sale thread did or did not. He did mention it at some point, but as I recall the letters "jb" were left off the description of the weld.

A quick search brought up the sale thread...I didn't see anything mentioning it. I remember seeing this pipe for sale around the same time I sold my PFP, and I remember seeing the "spot" (aka gob of chit) in one of the pics. Hope you can get it taken care of reasonably.

SkiDiggity

formerly kawirider142
Dang Nate! Sorry to hear about the pipe. My best friend growing up lives in NC and is a professional Aluminum welder who could probably fix it. Let me know if you want me to ask him as a favor.

Top Bottom