Mild WDK ROK Build

holygoat

Site Supporter
31B3A412-7EF5-420D-BF3C-CEDB7ECC4242.jpeg

So I threw the rest of the ski together quickly, and ran to the lake. Got it in the water and she ran great!

Still not sure on that pole. Stiff pole plus short length plus flat bars is all new to me. I've never liked flat bars, but I'm gonna keep trying the pole position.

B8F289AD-E5D0-4CB3-B541-1F1BE0D0FD66.jpeg

Day ended when I somehow cracked my steering nozzle? No idea how that
happened.

Successful shakedown all in all! My god this thing is fun, rails on a dime, lightweight, feels great, and bloody tiring to ride.

73DFC9CC-FEDA-4816-B2D1-CD2DCFCF01E8.jpeg

holygoat

Site Supporter
God damn this ski is a bundle of fun. I haven't had any build updates because I've just been riding the thing!

BK and everybody else was right. Pole is in it's longest position at the furthest back mount and I think I want it slightly shorter now lol. At least I can adjust it.

Had a small mishap yesterday where a loose zip tie tag stopped my scupper closing. I'm not a fan of the ball scuppers, just seems a lot to go wrong for minimal gain. Waterline was above the stator cover before I realised.

I also have a strange issue where my tray keeps filling with water. I've been sealing off all the fittings that go into it, and still, whenever I pull my plugs, water comes out. It's a foamless tray but I just must have a leak somewhere.

Attachments

• 018E4300-F890-4EED-B8DE-60244973CC41.jpeg
    018E4300-F890-4EED-B8DE-60244973CC41.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 13
I'll be there devil's advocate on this one. I'm not a fan of veriplugs in the tray. I view the floatation in the tray as the last line if defence when all else is going wrong, and I didn't trust veriplugs for that, especially the little guys. I also want to know if my tray is leaky. My glass freak could float all day and when I took the plugs out it would have maybe a cup of water in the tray. That was after some effort sealing up all of the pump mount/ride plate/intake grate bolts. I also have a carbon freak that I have not had a chance to ride or work on much. It has the little versiplugs and the tray always seems to have a bunch of water in it. It will be a project to get it straightened out but the first step is going to be sealing up the versiplugs so I KNOW they're not sticking open and then I can chase whatever else leaks.

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
Versiplugs for the tray? Would they work well there?
I'm sorry, I was under the impression you had an open bulkhead. Should be easy enough to seal your tray. Not sure if it's the same on your hull but are your pump/ride plate bolts sealed at the top of the threads or do they go all the through the insert? Mix up some soapy water, spray it around everything and try to pressurize the tray with some compressed air. Should find your leaks quick.

Also, I'm not sure what type of scupper you have but if it's a ball scupper in a PVC pipe built into the hull, I find a really available screen that's the right size to shove into the scupper tube to prevent debris from holding the scupper open.

holygoat

Site Supporter
I'm sorry, I was under the impression you had an open bulkhead. Should be easy enough to seal your tray. Not sure if it's the same on your hull but are your pump/ride plate bolts sealed at the top of the threads or do they go all the through the insert? Mix up some soapy water, spray it around everything and try to pressurize the tray with some compressed air. Should find your leaks quick.
I'm working on that, sealed my plugs and the scupper with 5200. Going to try and pressurise again and see where it's leaking.

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
I'm working on that, sealed my plugs and the scupper with 5200. Going to try and pressurise again and see where it's leaking.
Good deal. If your ride plate/pump inserts are leaking silicone is the ticket.
Also listen to what storbeck said about the screen for your scupper. Hands down one of the most important things you can do for your ski.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
only pressure it 2-3psi. I tried to seal my a/m ski the same way and turned out to have tiny pin holes everywhere. I eventually gave up.. =(

holygoat

Site Supporter
Been riding this thing. A lot.

Pulled a thread outta the hull. Aluminium blocks glassed over are nice and easy, but the threads have a lifespan. I retapped them all to 1/2-13 and used the EZ LOK stainless inserts.

Seriously. These things are awesome. We use them all the time at work (steel processing) and I've used them in engine blocks holding head studs on and they work great. I likle the coarse UNF external that has a lot deeper bite than metric bolts in aluminium. Great holding power.

I retapped all the threaded holes to fit. I figured it was only a matter of time until I pulled the rest. Reinstalled engine mounts with a little dab of anti sieze and I'm much happier cranking on them now.

1722883355354.jpeg

And I had my ski apart... so why not? Grabbed an 08+ OEM SJ prop and a Solas "mag" Stator. Nice replacement for my stock stator with ancient small hub 9/17 skat. Good prop but wow, I was amazed at the difference these large hub props make. If you're a basic bitch 701 with b pipe rider like me, this MUST be your next mod.

Also got my trim system together. Learnt that the WDK has canted thru hull tubes that bind up at the bend when you're feeding a trim cable through the opening. Got my cable stuck, had to pull it out, and damaged my trim cable. Learnt that one the hard way. Cable still works, just stiff to pull. Shoutout to @JetManiac (as always) for his patience and help in recomending me some parts to work with my trim system. Picked up his stainless heim joint and now it works great, aside from the stiff cable.

1722883757392.jpeg

So here's how she sits until the winter. At Wave Rave next weekend so lookout for the fat guy on the bashed up WDK ROK giving himself repeated enemas attemtping to flip off a wave.

Unsure on the colour scheme I'm going for. Split between white, pink and purple, or a retro homage to the JS440.

1722883880437.jpeg

Answers on a postcard please!

A riding friend picked up a brawler recently and seems to really like it. His is carbon with a dasa 950 stroker setup in it. He can flatwater flip it. With some fresh paint and turf, yours will feel and look like a new ski

holygoat

Site Supporter
A riding friend picked up a brawler recently and seems to really like it. His is carbon with a dasa 950 stroker setup in it. He can flatwater flip it. With some fresh paint and turf, yours will feel and look like a new ski
Brawler? Can't say I've heard of that. I'm debating going to a JM 781 in this hull or I might just port the 61x I have on the shelf myself. Not sure yet. I want to stick with the 701 base because I know I can get parts.

Yeah, I'm gonna turf and paint this winter. Any suggestions for colours? I'm really undecided.

I need to sort my trim out, sort a proper tank out, turf and remake a mount for my chin pad, probably enlarge the thru hull tube for my trim, and just generally tidy it up.

I'm looking forward to making this thing nice again. Really leaning towards the retro 440 graphics tbh.

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
Brawler? Can't say I've heard of that. I'm debating going to a JM 781 in this hull or I might just port the 61x I have on the shelf myself. Not sure yet. I want to stick with the 701 base because I know I can get parts.

Yeah, I'm gonna turf and paint this winter. Any suggestions for colours? I'm really undecided.

I need to sort my trim out, sort a proper tank out, turf and remake a mount for my chin pad, probably enlarge the thru hull tube for my trim, and just generally tidy it up.

I'm looking forward to making this thing nice again. Really leaning towards the retro 440 graphics tbh.
Paint it gray. Gray is life man. Then your choice of anodized accents...

Top Bottom