Mild WDK ROK Build

holygoat

Site Supporter
Took the old dog to wave rave. Met some great guys, forgot the bloody wetsuit. I was cold as balls, but it was a good time. Sent it big off of a few waves and came down like a rock every time. Can't win em all, gotta keep at it! First time out in surf was a good laugh.

IMG_0039.jpeg

Night before I slapped an ada head on it. Runs excellently. Probably the last mod I'll do before winter teardown. I think I'm gonna attempt a home ported 701 this winter. I have a spare motor and I'll need a project to keep me occupied, so I figured why not. Worst case scenario I learn something. Not a bad return for a few hundred dollars.

I'm probably going to use the yamanube templates and attempt a bit of 62t case porting based on what I've been reading up on and talking to others.

IMG_0007.jpeg

Finally I was taking paint off the bilge earlier to make new tank mounts and... Is this a carbon hull?!

IMG_0038.jpeg

holygoat

Site Supporter
So I blew my top end up, I think I forgot a cooling line. As soon as I could feel it running weak I killed it, but I think it was too late. I could smell it. She was gone. Expensive licoriceing mistake but one I hopefully won't make again.

1725898959077.jpeg1725898983107.jpeg1725898991483.jpeg

So I need a top end with 6 weeks left of the season. One (three) quick calls to @Jr. and this ported top end appeared on my doorstep in three days. Top service from the man.

1725899055760.jpeg1725899091051.jpeg1725899104075.jpeg

Cleaned my chamber up in the parts washer at work. Looks good now. Took the ski out. 10-15m of great riding, nice easy break in.

And then it all came undone. Ski would run for 15 seconds and die. Paul thought I may be getting water into the combustion chamber - it only happened coincidentally as soon as I saw water from the pisser. In retrospect, this may have just coincided with how much fuel was in the carb. Checked my o-rings, looked good. Checked the exhaust gasket, didn't look great. Faced my FP manifold at work on the Bridgeport. Paul sent me a new one as well as a new base gasket since I checked that was seated properly too. My waterbox was rattling, surely that was it! Cut it open, baffle is loose. Okay, so I welded it back up sans baffle. Back to the lake, same issue. Take my jetting back to as before, same issue. Something is really weird. Changed my ignition coil, stator, CDI, SAME ISSUE!

Sitting at home ranting, my wife comes with me to the lake and sees me run and immediately says "Sounds like you aren't getting any fuel." "No no it can't be, I didn't even open the fuel pump side up! It's the same as I've been running all year!" Labor day morning, I decided I'm gonna get to the bottom of this. Pulled my carb off and...

1725899428862.jpeg1725899441676.jpeg

Fuel pump side was disgusting. Internal filter totally full of poop. In line fuel filter looked good. I've been running this carb since May with no issues. I canot believe it ever ran like this! Huge thanks to Paul. Worked with me through every issue, even though ultimately it was nothing to do with him.

1725899745045.jpeg

Next issue is finding a tank and paint. Honestly, the 550 tank fits so well, I might just get a repro Ty-n-Fly one. I tried an LS 4 gal and it was too big, I believe stock SJ is too big too. Not a huge fan of fitting stuff in this hull but it is what it is.

Glass, paint, re-turf, and improve my footholds this winter. And I will be moving the pole an inch or so back towards me. I'm running at the absolute longest setting right now and it's just long enough, I figured I can move it forward a hair and still have plenty of shortening adjustment. I'm thinking a plain white paint with black turf, and purple accents. Then I can add stickers over the top if I so choose to.

Attachments

• 1725899439025.jpeg
    1725899439025.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 1
I have a similar set up to you, WDK Rok with a 4 mil stroker and a b pipe, I just put a 2.25 gallon kart tank from Highspeed industries and it fits way better than what was in there (fx-1 tank), used the original mounting points and yamaha tank straps, tons of room to take the tank out with the motor and pipe installed

holygoat

Site Supporter
I have a similar set up to you, WDK Rok with a 4 mil stroker and a b pipe, I just put a 2.25 gallon kart tank from Highspeed industries and it fits way better than what was in there (fx-1 tank), used the original mounting points and yamaha tank straps, tons of room to take the tank out with the motor and pipe installed

How is the rok with the stroker? The 550 tank is about the smallest I'd want to go, I do a few open lake cruises where I would be concerned about having less fuel.

How is the rok with the stroker? The 550 tank is about the smallest I'd want to go, I do a few open lake cruises where I would be concerned about having less fuel.
Just got the ski not long ago, only had it out a few times but it goes pretty good, the motor is an HPE built and ported 4 mil, definitely alot more jam than my 701 SN with a speedwerx pipe

Top Bottom