Mountain Bike ?

P

PancakePete

Pete WTF... are you retarted Thread Jacking your own thread. Back on topic you Tart ! :poke:

:laugh2:
Back to my meds.

I ride an old Giant AC1 and have ridden it everywhere from trail riding ,single track, in the city to the downhills at snowshoe mountain west virgina, only broken a few parts like the derail. hanger and the front brake caliper mount. Parts that are made to break to save other more expensive parts. Reviews for everything you can think of on a website called mtbr.com do some research there. Like anything thou people will say that their brand is the best while the next person will tell you they stink and break easily. ie I have been hearing Ellsworth's warrenty policy is horriable and guys were folding them in half easily and getting no support from the company.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
I just said they were made here... dingle berry

I bought one a few months back. It's fine for light riding

I was reading an article a while back about some of the frames being made over sea's. May have been a road frame or their carbon MTB frames. That is why I said "Not sure if ALL"

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Nomad is a good bike, more of an all mountain bike, longer travel. Mechanic that works on my bikes has one, he got rid of all his others. He is sponsored by Cannondale (through the bike shop).

mosquini

Looking for a fixed steer standup
I have a klein hard tail and love it other than the rear rim that was destroyed Jumping off a concert stage, they have sick paint too. You should also look at Iorn Horse Bikes. Specialized actually bought some of the suspension designs that you see on there full sus bikes. So you are buying a bike and not just the marked up name like Trek or Specialized.
http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/bikes/bikes-2008.php

redrrocket

Graphics Guru
every company makes hi-end and budget bikes. so its hard to "pick a brand" I would go to your local bike shop and shoot some 08's out the doors 09 bikes are 15%-20% more for the same spec bike this year price wise..

I would start on a 5" travel all mountain bike, I have a gary fisher, a kona, a gt, and an OLD schwin from the 90's the trek fuel ex is awesome.

just ride a few to get the feel for the different geometry's. depending on where you ride really helps on what bike to pick.

there are way to many bike shapes/sizes/spec's to choose from it all goes with your budget. just remember the lighter the bike the easier it is to break. and the more it costs.

SXIPro

JM781 Big Bore
For an 'all-around' MTB I don't think you can beat a Trek. Especially for the price. I've owned a couple Treks and a Gary Fisher. For just screwing around the Treks are great. If I was gonna do more rugged stuff where I needed more suspension travel, I'd take my Fisher.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
every company makes hi-end and budget bikes. so its hard to "pick a brand" I would go to your local bike shop and shoot some 08's out the doors 09 bikes are 15%-20% more for the same spec bike this year price wise..

I would start on a 5" travel all mountain bike, I have a gary fisher, a kona, a gt, and an OLD schwin from the 90's the trek fuel ex is awesome.

just ride a few to get the feel for the different geometry's. depending on where you ride really helps on what bike to pick.

there are way to many bike shapes/sizes/spec's to choose from it all goes with your budget. just remember the lighter the bike the easier it is to break. and the more it costs.

5" around here is really not needed.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
I have a klein hard tail and love it other than the rear rim that was destroyed Jumping off a concert stage, they have sick paint too. You should also look at Iorn Horse Bikes. Specialized actually bought some of the suspension designs that you see on there full sus bikes. So you are buying a bike and not just the marked up name like Trek or Specialized.
http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/bikes/bikes-2008.php

Actually, Specialized purchased the "Horst Link" design from Horst Leitner. Specialized has used this design since they bought it back in the early 90's, it is still used today. The only other design that they have ever incorperated into production is the system that comes on the EPIC's now.

"A Horst link is a mountain-bike suspension link designed by 'Horst' Leitner of AMP Research in Irvine California. Horst Leitner was the tech pioneer of mountain-bikes and developed the suspension system way back at the beginning of the mountain bike era. He also invented the AMP forks and the first effective disc brake system for mountainbikes.

The Horst rear suspension link patent was sold to and is now owned by Specialized bicycles and called the FSR Link. "

R Hudson

My mimi hurts!!!
I've had two Gary Fishers, one Schwinn, and now a Kona. I have the Kickapu Deluxe and it's my favorite so far. It's not quite as heavy duty as my last Gary was but it's much faster on single track. I FLY through the woods on this one.

P

PancakePete

5" around here is really not needed.
:haha::haha: I gotta leave that alone ! LOL

Thank you all for your help.
I am going to a couple more stores and still looking online !

So many companies with so many models !

parrdaddy

No he will not!
Cannondale does get their lower end frames from Asia now, I was looking for some American made bikes for my shop at work and found this out. They're cheapest 'made in USA' bike is $1200, not sure which model it is. I have a Canndondale Prophet and have been very happy with it although I don't put it through the paces it was built for.

Jetaddict

9 years to retirement...
l_cabc7df4eb31647df5dde88bbdf4bf51.jpg

Here's my Trek. An excellent entry level bike. I am going to be buying my full suspension next year.

This bike buying stuff sucks. I rode 5 different bikes today and I'm not any closer to knowing what I want. The shop I ended up at had all the Haro Flightline series and all the Specialized Hardrock series. I think I want to end up with a good fork like the Rock Shox, but that takes a minimum of $550. Sorry to threadjack, but I need help.
Haro Flightline Comp with Rock Shox 2 and mech disk brakes is $675
Specialized Hardrock with Rock Shox 3 is $550 w/ V brakes or $700 with disk brakes.
I could also step down in either series and probably be happy but I don't know. This is confusing.

Top Bottom