my 1st stand up, and this happens!

Y

yamaslut

if you don't hit bottom that won't happen to your ski...

:soapbox:

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
1st time riding a stand up, and should say i got used to it pretty quick. I took under water a few times with pump on at that point i was pretty beat so i took it on the straight away and just gave it all had and that's when this happened

I've done something similar a couple months ago.
I tried racing a couch, the pump came unhooked, engine revved up (no rev limiter), then the ski came back down, pump loaded, and bam, bye bye couplers.

That was a user error on my part.

the pump came unhooked, nice. Would you mind telling a ball park figure on this. Thank You,

I tried racing a couch, the pump came unhooked, engine revved up (no rev limiter), then the ski came back down, pump loaded, and bam, bye bye couplers.

If I am reading this correctly, you were racing, I guess you hit a wave, the ski came out of the water, over rev'd, lands in water hooks up and explodes? If not, please clarify... I have a 750SX and it like to poirpose(sp?) and at high speeds it will start to do that, and I haven't had a problem... just wondering if I have been lucky or what the deal is... I just picked up a used Square nose and haven't got to try it out yet, so just want to make sure so I don't have the same problem...

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
If you have not run the engine since it happened, GET IT STARTED NOW. It is probably too late already, but it's worth a shot.

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
I do that all the time, and I havent broken one yet?

I guess my little 650 isnt strong enough to break a coupler?

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Meh, my couplers may have been weak already, I don't know.
The engine is in the 100HP max range I would guess (porting, head, b-pipe, reeds, lightened fw).
The engine spun to what sounded like well over 9-10kRPM and then was forced back down abruptly.
That's when the coupler shattered. This was not hitting bottom or anything else.
I run Kenney Keepers, too.

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
ive heard that shock before, mine spins to nearly 9000K as well, and ivheard the couplers thunk and all that.

I guess they are more fragile than I would figure.

Meh, my couplers may have been weak already, I don't know.
The engine is in the 100HP max range I would guess (porting, head, b-pipe, reeds, lightened fw).
The engine spun to what sounded like well over 9-10kRPM and then was forced back down abruptly.
That's when the coupler shattered. This was not hitting bottom or anything else.
I run Kenney Keepers, too.

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
ive heard that shock before, mine spins to nearly 9000K as well, and ivheard the couplers thunk and all that.

I guess they are more fragile than I would figure.

They are cast aluminum. All it takes is a few casting flaws to dramatically weaken them.

I recommend the Kawi-style billet ones, that's what I run. Much smaller, lighter, stronger, and easier to align the engine for me.

link712

HoLaRoSa RiDeRs Co.
Wow, I cant Beleive this!! I sold this to Adam.. We had it running while he picked it up and it showed no signs of trouble. I was more than happy with this ski, and Brian is a Stand Up Guy, he was more than willing to answer any questions to the fullest throughout the time I owned the ski. Sorry about this Adam, I hope you get it figured out and get back out on the water to enjoy it.

guiness92

▓▓▒▒▒▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓
anytime the pump comes unhooked from the water first thing to is let off the throttle. not doing so can cause this to happen. its like dropping a car in 1st gear at 80 mph

sjetrider

615 Freeriders are addicted to T1 madness.

My guess is this is exactly what happend here. I hate it for this guy and will do all I can to help him get it fixed (advise and cheap parts if I have them) so he does not get discuraged and quit on the stand ups.
However, I do not know of anything that I have done to cause this. This boat put up w/ me for 6 mos. so it should have had no problems putting up w/ a new rider (unless its run wide open coming out of the water and reving up only to return to the water and EXPLODE the coupler.) The water is prolly from a busted waterline caused by the coupler housing or cover flying through it.
Believe me this boat was tight and stought when it left Nashville.

Link rode it a couple times, ask him how it runs, he is the one that bought it from me.

Last edited:

stuntbikemike

Time to ride
I need to make this comment about the original thread saying "READY TO ROLL"

The first thing a pro rider told me to do was re-enforcement.....the ready to roll ski did NOT have the bond line re enforced...So this leads me to believe that proper precautions weren't taken in the building of the ski....These are things that newbies need to know before buying a freestyle ski....I just feel bad for adam... cause without a knowlegable local experianced resource ....one can throw a lot of money down the drain....IMO

But adam, those repairs aren't as important as getting the water OUT of the motor....this is the worst thing you can do ....other than running your motor out of the water for more than 30-45 sec...depending on the motor

sjetrider

615 Freeriders are addicted to T1 madness.
I need to make this comment about the original thread saying "READY TO ROLL"

The first thing a pro rider told me to do was re-enforcement.....the ready to roll ski did NOT have the bond line re enforced...So this leads me to believe that proper precautions weren't taken in the building of the ski....These are things that newbies need to know before buying a freestyle ski....I just feel bad for adam... cause without a knowlegable local experianced resource ....one can throw a lot of money down the drain....IMO

But adam, those repairs aren't as important as getting the water OUT of the motor....this is the worst thing you can do ....other than running your motor out of the water for more than 30-45 sec...depending on the motor

So you saying I missled an inexperienced buyer here? Your opinion of whats READY TO ROLL and mine are appearently different. If you are in surf I would agree with you 100% and if you read the PM's between me and Link you would have the rest of the story BRO, you however did not and DONT:biggthumpup: Have a nice DAY.

Oh, and again as in my 1st post in this lovely thread, GET THE WATER OUT OF THE MOTOR ASAP.

Last edited:

link712

HoLaRoSa RiDeRs Co.
sjetrider ^^ Is by far one of the best people to deal with and went out of his way to help me with this ski, I had alot of questions and he had alot more answers!!

The flaming here needs to stop, this seems to be a freak thing that has happened to this ski! As I stated earlier and Adam said himself, we had it running at my place and he rode it for 2 hours prior to the problem.

The Chaos ends here unless you have advice for Adam!

Hey sjetrider, I send you pm with my number please call me.

All I am asking is "What did I do wrong here man? What U all think this is going to cost me if i take it to the shop. I need to keep riding this season.

I am not trying to point at anybody, it's just sucks for the 1st timer to brake something like that. Is it my fault or not? I starting to have this feeling something was not right in there. Once i take to the shop, I will let you know the details.

Top Bottom