Need help finding sunkin' ski (Not Anymore!!!)

The Penguin

triple secret probation
SKYWALKER said:
Ok Tom (superramjet) found this bad ass fish finder, but its way more than that. Take a look at what it can do and tell me if I should buy it. I think it will do it.

http://www.humminbird.com/products.asp?ID=621

Make sure you look at the images it can produce,
Luke the "not so" skywalker these days
before you buy it - see if you can find a fishing message board local to your area and see if anyone has that depth finder.

perhaps you can pay them to find it.

it has sidescan ability so it should profile your boat once you get in the area. sidescan is the key.

if you want to buy it - I've got a couple friends in the marine electronics business, they'll cut you a good deal.

Mile9c1

X-H2O.com
onesojourner said:
hurry up and find that sucker, your crank is rusting as you type.

One time my brother sank my SXi Pro, didn't tell me, didn't drain it (it was literally as full as can be when I found it). It sat for almost a week... no rust anywhere! I think the oil helped retard the rust, but also rust needs air to work... so underwater it was okay.

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
those depth finders, side or down, are limited by the width of the transducer and the power.

someon who REALLY knows how to read an old paper graph type of depth finder could find it ( assuming its sticking up)

seriously, find a catfish guider service, pay for the day, show him the area, tell him to keep his rods and gear stowed.
some of those guys can see a 10 lb fish on the bottom with the right graph ( paper graphs used to have better resolution) it depends now on whats there, and how they know how to use them.

other wise.....

start a scavenger hunt, ala loch ness monster style.

describe the size and shape, and offer a $500 reward.

do this every weekend until its recovered.

just trying to help

that SUCKS man.

sorry

meatball

User Title Unavailable
I doubt they have a sidescanner fishfinder at west marine, at least not at mine. Hey, who says you need metal for a fishfinder? You guys know how the sidescanners work? Sends a signal down, and when it bounces back up, it uses the time to took to travel up to create an image of the bottom. At 35 feet deep, the one he linked to has plenty of sideview to see the ski. This isnt a traditional vertical view scanner. The way they see fish is when the signal travels through their air sac, it travels faster and then slow down, so depending on the depth, it will now it should of come back faster, so it marks it as a fish. If theres any air bubbles in the ski, you could be able to find it with a regular finder, but I highly doubt it. If any, a sidescanner is your only bet for seeing onto the bottom.

Other then that, rent some gear and go searching yourself. A good sized tank is good for about 1 1/2 hours if you know how to breath correctly, even longer if your used to SCUBA.

Cameras wont work. Visibility is completely gone after the first 15 feet in places like that. And if you guys got a lot of rain like I did, the water probably looks like coffee. The only way to physically look for it is to do it with your hands, feeling for it.

You better let us know if you find it! Oh, and I'd scratch the idea about trying to 'rent' a fishfinder. Those sidescanners are usually only used on offshore tuna fishing boats, nothing inland. And the money it would cost to transport it from here to there would be way too much. (and for the guy to come with it). Your best bet is to find a store with a good return policy, use it and try and return it, or get an ebay unit and then resell it if you dont want it. Bass fishermen dont have sidescanner, they're not worth the money for such small narrow waters they're usually on. And come on, they're rednecks, they dont have money!

-meaty

The Penguin

triple secret probation
here's my friends website: http://www.tightlinerods.com/product.php?productid=16822&cat=354&page=2

another company I know: http://www.byownerelectronics.com/store/product.php?productid=21214&cat=0&page=2

west marine: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/234146/0/0/humminbird/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0

if with WM you have the chance to return it, I might go that route.

John (tightlinerods.com) said that unit is only going to be good to a depth of 100ft and about 250' wide, so make a grid and stick to it. you should be able to find your ski. You won't be able to run very fast while searching so it may take some time.

I don't know if BOE's price is really that much better - check into it to make sure you get everything you need (like the transducer). John runs at very low margins, so he's rarely undersold - he also said he has them in stock.

onesojourner said:
hurry up and find that sucker, your crank is rusting as you type.

nah, sitting in freshwater like that...........WHEN luke finds his boat, replace the electricals and I bet that bitch fires right up...

Hey luke....do you have local warnings out? YOu never know if a fisherman might run across it or hell, it might even just wash up on the shore...you never know...

meatball

User Title Unavailable
nah, it wont rust. I bet you half the electricals are good too. Just drain it and run it. My outboard that sank for 3 weeks in saltwater is still running, and this is 4 years later. Rust doesnt happen without air. It does, but it would take 2 month to rust the same speed it takes in a day with air.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
I worked on an X-2 a while back, the entire Case was full of water....... guess what, no rust........... between the gas/Oil and water, it was a grey sludge that was still pretty greasy, Ski still running as far as I know!

Remember last year when Magoo's friend,Jimmy lost his up here in the Niagara River.We had people looking on the shorline for days and that one floated.We just lost site of it because of the undertow.We never did find it .It really sucked.
Best of luck to you.

Top Bottom