Custom/Hybrid New XS built 855 in Superfreak

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Yah what Phil said. Once you figure out how to make good setup wakes and how to time the return to them, those flips are super easy.

I agree, need to stop practicing hop flips and go for it on set up wakes.

Hop flips are not that hard,Im not a flatwater guy at all,I was able to 180 hop flip a freak with a 950 or so motor pretty easy on the first try with trim. The freak seems plenty flipable to me,someone with practice and decent power would have no issue. Nice thing a bout the freak is they seem to do really well in surf as well,at least the ones Ive tried have,unless they has a 12 inch pole.
freakrider..your setup looks very surf friendly,what trim u using?

Hop flips are not that hard,Im not a flatwater guy at all,I was able to 180 hop flip a freak with a 950 or so motor pretty easy on the first try with trim. The freak seems plenty flipable to me,someone with practice and decent power would have no issue. Nice thing a bout the freak is they seem to do really well in surf as well,at least the ones Ive tried have,unless they has a 12 inch pole.

Trim is just a modified CATS (Cheap ass trim system) with bored nozzle. I think it's surf friendly with the pole just long enough to stab and carve waves. Also the motor is strong but not too much for surf.

Last edited:

forgot to mention that you're the first person that thinks hop flips are easy. That gives me some hope and I like doing them even if I only get a partial nose in.

Philip Clemmons

Owner, P&P Performance
forgot to mention that you're the first person that thinks hop flips are easy. That gives me some hope and I like doing them even if I only get a partial nose in.

Haha. He's not even talking about a hop flip.....it was a slide flip that he made past half and nosed in. It was on my ski with 230 lbs of compression, TL, a 148 and one if the hardest hitting 8 mils most have ridden ;). I got a few around but over rotated setup wake flips.

Big difference in the setup he rode and yours. Get with someone that can help you with wakes and stick with it. It takes some practice to get it right. Took me a while, but it's cake now. You'll get it bud. Keep riding!

Matt_E

Site Supporter
I think when I had that Freak I had plenty of power to do it. But it seems to take a very different technique to get the hop/slide flips down. I was more successful with consecutive flips than those.

Philip Clemmons

Owner, P&P Performance
Matt,

Technique is very different. I question the pump more than anything, but it takes some umph. Not saying it can't be done, but it's a tough way to learn. One key is staying centered and not leaning back. You want the ski to rotate around you.......if you lean back you pull it down on top of you, and never get any height.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Thanks Phil, that's exactly what I did wrong then. Leaned way back, tried to pull it around - and it just goes pancake right on top of me.

Haha. He's not even talking about a hop flip.....it was a slide flip that he made past half and nosed in. It was on my ski with 230 lbs of compression, TL, a 148 and one if the hardest hitting 8 mils most have ridden ;). I got a few around but over rotated setup wake flips.

Big difference in the setup he rode and yours. Get with someone that can help you with wakes and stick with it. It takes some practice to get it right. Took me a while, but it's cake now. You'll get it bud. Keep riding!

Good advice.

Thanks again to sj762 for the install of solas mag and hooker 10/16, she ripped at the test lake today and ski is ready to hit some gulf surf tomorrow. This set up should be fun for awhile until the hp addiction gets me again.

freakrider... Trim angle is pretty crucial part for for slide or hop flips. Ive ridden the old and new thrust trim and even between those there was a big diff.I tried both hop flips and slide flips on phils ski and didnt see much diff between either,same concept. Someones memory is pretty selective though,I tired a few without trim and nosed them in,First time I pulled trim,I landed on the plate,and couldnt let off the throttle fast enough and went another 50% around on a unintentional second,With some practice on the motor setup I could have done multi flips im sure.

Gettin a prop thats low enough and tuning your motor so its throttle response comes on instantly,not even a partial second later is the key to learning these tricks.Even though im sure he will disagree,Ive ridden all his motors, and that 8 mill responded better and was more fun to ride than any of his other sized motors,small and bigger.could have something to do with his ever shrinking pole also....lol

Philip Clemmons

Owner, P&P Performance
freakrider... Trim angle is pretty crucial part for for slide or hop flips. Ive ridden the old and new thrust trim and even between those there was a big diff.I tried both hop flips and slide flips on phils ski and didnt see much diff between either,same concept. Someones memory is pretty selective though,I tired a few without trim and nosed them in,First time I pulled trim,I landed on the plate,and couldnt let off the throttle fast enough and went another 50% around on a unintentional second,With some practice on the motor setup I could have done multi flips im sure.

Gettin a prop thats low enough and tuning your motor so its throttle response comes on instantly,not even a partial second later is the key to learning these tricks.Even though im sure he will disagree,Ive ridden all his motors, and that 8 mill responded better and was more fun to ride than any of his other sized motors,small and bigger.could have something to do with his ever shrinking pole also....lol

Great advice from a surf rider that's never ridden out of a flat water flip in his life, can't make a proper setup wake, doesn't own a flat water ski, or a motor bigger than 800 cc's.

LMAO.

LMAO is right,yet still flipped your ski 100x faster than you...that was right after watching you fly over the bars and jack the pole over the nose 10 times on slide and hop flips. Just messin with ya bud, youve come a long way in flatwater....crap tons of practice goes a long way for that.

if flat water interested me that much id have a purpose built ski for it.I have a fresh lake in my back yard and the river 50 yards behind that..but with the ocean really close by its no wonder we are wavejunkies right, my 6 mill surf motor is plenty for that purpose

You guys crack me up. Rode choppy gulf surf yesterday. My review of the solas mag is it's worth every penny in hook up in white water and chop. While carving a wave face it still slides plenty and actually adds some control of a little light freak. This motor and pump caused over rotated flips without much effort off 3 to 4 foot surf. Video soon hopefully from spjt who followed me a bit with his Gopro.

Last edited:

Philip Clemmons

Owner, P&P Performance
Setup wakes take practice. A typical "u" wave works well. You should feel the nose drop down into the wave. Practice makes perfect. Takes a bunch to learn to time and see the wave.

phil deff has the setup wake down on the lil lite hulls,Seems to be not retreating far from the u turn is key. Others go a ways back and it always seems smaller when they hit it,Its not rocket science lol.
Freakrider,let me know if you post up that vid,Id like to see how well the SF BA does in 3 ft chop conditions. Feel like its beatin ya up much?

phil deff has the setup wake down on the lil lite hulls,Seems to be not retreating far from the u turn is key. Others go a ways back and it always seems smaller when they hit it,Its not rocket science lol.
Freakrider,let me know if you post up that vid,Id like to see how well the SF BA does in 3 ft chop conditions. Feel like its beatin ya up much?

The video is posted and will not allow you to see how it handles chop because it shot by another rider. It does very well in the chop and is extremely stable and easier to ride than a RN. I don't ever feel beat up in the chop and it cuts back n forth on waves like a small surfboard.

Top Bottom