Custom/Hybrid New XS built 855 in Superfreak

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
phil deff has the setup wake down on the lil lite hulls,Seems to be not retreating far from the u turn is key. Others go a ways back and it always seems smaller when they hit it,Its not rocket science lol.
Freakrider,let me know if you post up that vid,Id like to see how well the SF BA does in 3 ft chop conditions. Feel like its beatin ya up much?

Compared to a heavy RN (cuz that's what I had before the very Freak being talked about here), it does beat you up quite a bit. Especially with a bigger motor.
Chop likes to slap the bottom and the hull only ever has the pump in the water anyway - at least that's what it feels like. No complaints though, that's what makes it fun.
I remember during the first month of owning it, I had it out in strong winds on the Columbia river in a section where the wind has time to build up some swell. You'd be going upwind to get the best swell faces. (Yah, it's not surf, but when all you have is flat, it's ok). I got decent air off one of those swell faces and just that second the wind gusted. I could actually feel the hull's forward momentum slow as it caught the wind like a sail. Freaky.

In messy surf - it's fun, but it's definitely a workout. Motor has a lot to do with it. I rode a nearly identical SF Badass with a strong 730ish motor in it back to back to mine (1000 motor, TL, 148 mag). The other Freak was cruising like a Cadillac through the waves, smooth as butter.
Mine, not so much.

Last edited:
When I jump on a RN now it feels like a big heavy log that prefers to stay in the water. It also feels less stable, narrow and wants to tip easy. The Freak is self balancing and easier to ride.

Last edited:
I agree,lol the rn does feel like a long skinny torpedo after riding a sf ba. The freak is almost too stable for me,almost a giro feel about it,I was lookin at gettin a used one and cutting up the rear bond rail to be straight all the way back to the tail,This would prolly let the ski lean turn further and feel better in railing the bottom surf turns. there is deff such a thing as too stable and wide these days for certain types of riding.

It would be interesting to come up with a single bolt in nozzle reducer to tame a large cc motor down for surf also. We use a exhaust baffle in 4 inch setups on 3.4 liter stroker 2jz Supra motors that need to breath huge 100 mill turbos at the track,On the street using it as a driver for longer trips the exhaust noise would drive you crazy otherwise. You cant flow big hp with it,but it quiets it down completely temporarily.... Changing domes,carbs, ign or other settings is too time consuming..A one to 2 bolt hp tamer would be nice for this purpose

Last edited:
For those of you who don't believe Torr flipped Phil's Superfreak, please refer to 4:23 in the following video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Wsu4rD8hdC4

Love ya bud ahahahaha :smashfreakB::smashfreakB::splatt:

Did he do a hop flip ? tough to see on phone.

Well I had to buy a 12 cell Antigravity to subtract some of the heavy solas mag weight. Why not keep a carbon hull setup light right ? Gotta flip off a ripple.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Did he do a hop flip ? tough to see on phone.

Well I had to buy a 12 cell Antigravity to subtract some of the heavy solas mag weight. Why not keep a carbon hull setup light right ? Gotta flip off a ripple.

The vid ended at 4:19. That's the joke.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Gdammit stupid Youtube. It keeps doing this to me. First time I watched it, it stopped at 4:19.

It may as well have, with that "flip" at 4:23. Hah

you are a trip....that was a great surf ride day though,phils old -2 glass sf hull with a 701 was fun,no backie hull though especially without trim as i did just fooling around. Phil wouldnt even try on it.
Have penny post the vid she shot of the 10x pole straighteners you performed flying over the bars doing slide and hop flips at tona on the -4 sf 1000 dasa,then me get on your ski having never ridden it and flip it past the plate on the first try with trim.....lol um yea the odds of that gettin posted are about the same as a roller rink comin back lol.. that trueeeeely was a nasty motor setup, completely impressive tuning.......you are the mannnnnnn

Finally had to know what compression range Chucky was aiming for on this build, 210 both cylinders tonight. That's a bit higher than expected but factor in a lithium battery and high torque starter and sounds just right for 93 octane.

I am still chicken to try setup wake flips ! Someone convince me to try it dammit !

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2013-07-19_19.41.30.jpg
    2013-07-19_19.41.30.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
i ran back to back comp tests with deka etx16 agm and anti grav 20 cell and got 11 to 12 lbs more in readings ...not much danger in setup wake failed attempts,just go for it.Ive been trying longer distance no trim back flips off a nice wake boat a friend has to try and make it to the other down side of wake. Those can be some higher speed carnage crashes when ya come in a bit short of nose down...lol

i ran back to back comp tests with deka etx16 agm and anti grav 20 cell and got 11 to 12 lbs more in readings ...not much danger in setup wake failed attempts,just go for it.Ive been trying longer distance no trim back flips off a nice wake boat a friend has to try and make it to the other down side of wake. Those can be some higher speed carnage crashes when ya come in a bit short of nose down...lol

I have this mental block image stuck in my mind that I will flop with speed off a setup wake. Those flips you are doing could potentially make for a real bad flop with speed too.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Speed is absolutely your friend IF you can get the timing down. And that's a lot harder at speed. But it makes flips with less power possible and it makes them big.

Stop worrying about flops. They don't hurt and they (probably) wont damage anything.

yea the spped bit makes it harder to time the last blip to plant the nose,flops dont hurt much at all,even from 8 to 10 ft off wakes.its the 8/10s from nose in that get ya,flying over the bars and gettin yanked outa the holds from 10 foot is pretty unpleasant...helmet up and rip it bud

Speed is absolutely your friend IF you can get the timing down. And that's a lot harder at speed. But it makes flips with less power possible and it makes them big.

Stop worrying about flops. They don't hurt and they (probably) wont damage anything.

yea the spped bit makes it harder to time the last blip to plant the nose,flops dont hurt much at all,even from 8 to 10 ft off wakes.its the 8/10s from nose in that get ya,flying over the bars and gettin yanked outa the holds from 10 foot is pretty unpleasant...helmet up and rip it bud

Well this motor setup is fully tuned now, added a stubby tail cone and running b-pipe
with only top screw open one turn. I really have no excuse now to not try a setup wake flip now...but yesterday the water was real choppy (what ? another excuse ? ).
Btw these stubby cones work well compared to the huge ones that come with the solas mag and combined with a bored 85 mm nozzle.

Attachments

• 2013-08-02 17.15.19.jpg
    2013-08-02 17.15.19.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
the mini cones do help a good bit with the hooker prop in a solas mag,I think the 7 mill cutback is too much in a solas mag,so the short cone relieves some of that extra low end load to get it spoolin. ive tried 2 hookers in the same pump with same hull,very sim motor cc. I want to try the thin blade skat with not as much cut back 11/15 or so next

Top Bottom