Super Jet Newbs first ski build. 90 SN

Well I finished my first season of riding a stand up a few weeks back when I snapped my pole. Figured it would be a good time to start building. So far I have defoamed, Shortened the hull about 4 inches,and started building my lowered hood. I will decide what else I want to do as I go. I have bob footholds to put in. Here is some pics of the progress so far

How it looked this season. Sitting on the hitch hauler I built.
2012-07-28_11-47-35_420_zpsc09576ef.jpg

Broken pole
2012-09-15_15-43-59_631_zpsd5ddb25e.jpg

Supplies
2012-09-08_00-08-28_326_zps7f1c35e5.jpg

defoamed
2012-09-21_12-14-06_374_zpse4a94aef.jpg

shortened
2012-09-25_11-48-38_38_zpscc2f2925.jpg

2012-09-28_12-21-44_397_zpsd5601f2b.jpg

2012-09-30_12-45-33_686_zpsab60b854.jpg

2012-10-01_13-06-00_945_zps7d35a1a2.jpg

hood with eglass over foam
2012-09-29_18-30-11_234_zps56cf21bc.jpg

Yami-Rider

TigerCraft FV-PRO
Dang Tyler you have been busy!! I really like what you did with the rear end and hood. Are you going to do anything to the front? By the looks of the tray, are you going to run bob holds?

Thanks. Yeah lol been busy busy. Dragginblazer showed me how to glass over the weekend so that was a big help and we got that rear knocked out. I used 1708 and e glass for that. I will be running bob footholds and building a whole new lowered tray. I need to glass over the stock exhaust hole and lower the tube. I will also be running a versiplug max. I am hoping it shows up this week so I can get the pvc fitted for that. I hope to start on the tray this weekend. I still havent decided what I want to do with the nose. I am debating on rocker. I will at least smooth the nose out even with the hood and do internal fuel fill.

Nice work. Can we see more pics of the hood? I just got the liner out of mine and have been thinking about chopping it. Figured that i can fill it with foam, cut it to desired shape then sand and glass it... is this your process?

I removed the foam from the inside of the hood today and sanded the inside so tomorrow I can hopefully start laying glass on the inside of the hood. I will take pics of it tomorrow.
For the angle yes i measured 4 inches back and made a mark. Then i made marks on each corner and used a straight edge to connect the dots. Be careful using a grinder to make the cuts it is very easy to go past where you wanted to stop the cut lol.
I threw the pole away. I have a hazard bracket and will be using a RN aftermarket pole. Haven't decided on which pole I want yet. I may get an rrp pole. I have just been setting aside $100 a week for my pole fund till I find a pole I want and have enough funds saved up.

oh and for the process of the hood I measured and cut first. then i put tape on the outside and foamed the inside. I then removed the tape and sanded it to shape. Then i put 2 layers of e glass over the outside. Once that dries well I removed the foam. Now i need to glass the inside. I will probably use a layer of 1708 biaxial then a layer maybe 2 layers of eglass on the inside.

Texan33

Yacht Wakes Hunter
Looks good, man! Several people claimed the RRP pole is heavy, I believe they are heavier than the stock SJ pole. If you are trying make this ski lighter, RRP is probably not the way to go. They looks cool as hell. I almost bought one for my sxr but went with X-metal pole.

Are you going to cut up the gunwales? I notice you have the tape lined up on it. Definitely going to look good!
24fxl4i.jpg

Yes I am going to cut as much off the gunwales as possible. I am just waiting till I get the footholds mounted first before I cut them. I weighed the hood today with it cut and the eglass laid on top and it came in at 7.4 pounds. The hull weighs somewhere around 85 pounds right now. From what I have read the cast rrp pole is around the same weight as a heavy sn pole. xmetal is a little lighter but im not sure how good it would look with my flat hood

Yami-Rider

TigerCraft FV-PRO
Your SN is looking better and better all the time. I know it's a little early in the processes, but have you thought about was color your going to paint it?

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
I used a cutoff wheel on a 4 inch grinder. Then a couple prybars and hand chisels to pop the green glue on the leftover bits of the hood liner.

Top Bottom