Nose Modification "rocker" Thread.... making a sj a better surf ski.....

iraq.... this forum is so awesome to pass time, i have learned so much!

i come home in october, thats when im getting my motor built for my sj, ima ride it next summer with stock hull, in the mean time ill be learning fiberglass on the 550. that way next winter i can fiberglass tubbies on, chop the rear deck and who know i may go crazy and add some more rocker. have you decided to do it or not yet..?

just in time for the winter surf... I will be chopping just don't know when I will start..

btw - thanks for your service bro... I spent 8 months over there during Desert Shield/Storm.. I was Navy though...

Waternut

Customizing addict
How about stability on longer rides or chasing a boat (Like at Lanier) where you have running over 50% throttle trying to catch back up.

This is where I've noticed that chopping the back of the ski is most noticeable. The back end has some play at speed. You don't really notice it after chopping your ski, but later on you'll notice how incredibly stable everyone else's ski is compared to yours. You'll also notice how incredibly difficult it is to turn everyone else's ski as well.

The rocker mod is pretty cool but I'll throw out one thing to consider. When you get rid of that lip at the front, you'll quickly notice how much spray that lip catches. Water is always in my eyes now without a lip.

#ZERO

Beach Bum
not convinced that does anything... and it doesn't provide anymore rocker or change the length of the boat. that just fill in the bond line and I am looking to raise the nose of the ski.
This was one of the better modifications done to my ski along with the sponsons and it made a world of difference in the flat water and surf.

I trimmed down the rails along with the widening the nose, even extended it further forward and made it curved more upwards which created a larger contact surface area.

You can experiment around with changing the shape by just using some 3:1 epoxy mixed with micro balloons and lots of sanding without going through the SMC.

Attachments

• Picture 360.jpg
    Picture 360.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 608

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
Nick, I have not tried anything like that on a SJ. But my X2 that has a RN style nose with sharper rocker built in, was a night an day difference in the surf. Loved that setup.

This was one of the better modifications done to my ski along with the sponsons and it made a world of difference in the flat water and surf.

I trimmed down the rails along with the widening the nose, even extended it further forward and made it curved more upwards which created a larger contact surface area.

You can experiment around with changing the shape by just using some 3:1 epoxy mixed with micro balloons and lots of sanding without going through the SMC.

did you look at the pic I posted? Your ski the lip is still at the same height as a stock SJ... I want to raise the height of the nose and increase the rocker. You actually increased the rocker by extending the length, I want to increase the rocker by making a "snub" nose, shortening it and raising the nose...

Last edited:

#ZERO

Beach Bum
did you look at the pic I posted? Your ski the lip is still at the same height as a stock SJ... I want to raise the height of the nose and increase the rocker. You actually increased the rocker by extending the length, I want to increase the rocker by making a "snub" nose, shortening it and raising the nose...
I trimmed the front rail almost completely down so the nose starts higher and made the angle sharper by filling in the bottom area.

I know it lengthens the ski a bit but the angle & height have been completely changed therefore altering the rocker.

Last edited:

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
Word of caution here, as I found out with the front hull mod on an x2, way more spray in the eyes, one reason I don't ride it much anymore. If you look close at a Trinity Matrix hull, they have an optional spray deflector under the nose because of that very problem.

Word of caution here, as I found out with the front hull mod on an x2, way more spray in the eyes, one reason I don't ride it much anymore. If you look close at a Trinity Matrix hull, they have an optional spray deflector under the nose because of that very problem.

not worried about that... I can fab up something like he has....

Nose rocker ROCKs , it has saved my ass more than a few times. What you do to the tail (rear) affects the nose also , it's about balance both nose and tail. Cut at the chine on both sides and the center line, torture it in to position and glass it .

R

ridethelip

nice work #zero on your ski how about running single concave down the center just after front rocker ends to intake grate and on outer chines and edges continuous rocker front to rear .

Great idea and picts of the SN, I was thinking of trimming the lips on my SN, but never thought of building up the front like that.

On a side note, I'm stuck down in Diego Garcia on one year orders myself. They told me either IA (individual Augmentee), GSA, or Diego Garcia BIOT. It was a no brainer. 10 days and I'm off the rock and start out processing out of the Navy!

Nick, just a thought you might want to look at some smaller boat information/ like a boston whaler and the yamaha jet boats. I see the whalers have a lot of rocker in them and this i would think would be for a lot of the same ideas you are thinking about. Have also noticed the nose of the jet boats changed the rocker area a lot over the years. Did not know it this could give you some insight, Of how the handling and why.

Nick, just a thought you might want to look at some smaller boat information/ like a boston whaler and the yamaha jet boats. I see the whalers have a lot of rocker in them and this i would think would be for a lot of the same ideas you are thinking about. Have also noticed the nose of the jet boats changed the rocker area a lot over the years. Did not know it this could give you some insight, Of how the handling and why.

yeah.... any good info would help.

WAB

salty nuts
I love my SN even more now that I cut 3inches off the back and run a std length plate. I tried a super short plate along with the -3 off the rear and it only wanted to "BOB" and not plane out.
I can put it on more vertical faces (hit it later) and not pearl on the way down.
I also cut most of the bondrail overhang off the front.

tom21

havin fun
Wavedemon has some ideas he wants to explore. Nick if your ideas are along the same lines I'm your man if you want a part made. the conversion hoods are nearing completion and the blaster seat wont take long. I will get with him and see what I can come up with.

Wavedemon has some ideas he wants to explore. Nick if your ideas are along the same lines I'm your man if you want a part made. the conversion hoods are nearing completion and the blaster seat wont take long. I will get with him and see what I can come up with.

lets do something... I think it will be a solid mod.

Top Bottom